1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You can bet the Rockets make the playoffs this year!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zacatecas, Aug 12, 2003.

1. shaylishya

shaylishya Member

Well it could be possible for the Rockets to make it into the playoffs, BUT there are other possiblities.

Lakers have Bryant, Shaq, Mailman, and the Glove, and Fox

Suns have Amare, Maubury, and Hardaway, and other ppl

Mavs have Nash and Dirk

Spurs have the MVP Duncan, Parker, what more do you need?

T-Wolves have um KG and um.. that's about it.

Kings have very strong ppl, but they are kinda old. Heh

Trailblazers, well i dunno how they got into the playoffs last season

Memphis have Posey now and they improved a whole lot

Jazz well letz just say that they got bankrupt

Denver's got Carmelo now

Seattle's got Ray Allen rite?
    :confused:

2. Buck Naked

Buck Naked Member

I think bhanchad deserved quite a bit of compliment for his attitude about last season. Both teams had a chance to perform and one stepped up. End of story.

Both teams will have the same opportunity this year. All homerism aside, the two squads will both come in with a few moves that could push them even further.

Like I said, I think both teams will be in the postseason. But how they do there will everything to do with the will to compete at that level. Against the Spurs, the Suns showed they have that drive. I think the Rockets do too, but it will only come with them focusing on it -- instead of letting the inmates run the asylum.

3. Friendly Fan

Friendly Fan PinetreeFM60 Exposed

The Rockets beat the Suns 3-1 in the season series, and if Rudy had stuck with Yao instead of putting in Moochie the last 30 seconds, it would have been 4-0.

The Rockets had the Playoffs when April started, and 9 games later, they didn't. The difference was April, therefore my statement is accurate.

In games in April:

Francis 15.9 points on .388 shooting
    Marbury 17.1 points on .445 shooting

Stoudamire 14.1 points on .505 shooting
    Yao 11.8 points on .397 shooting

Like I said ...

4. bhanchod

bhanchod Member

Im sorry I dont know how to post without quoting,
    but..
    Look I give you it COULD have been 4 to 0 but... If it was 4-0 whos to say that the Suns wouldnt have won a game that they lost in the last month thus giving tus the same result...Thats why there are 82 games a season and not 16 or 32. I mean if we want to dwell in what if land we can. What if Barkely and Pippen got along, what if the Twin towers lasted longer etc. I mean Facts are facts and dreams are dreams. Lets build new facts.

5. SLA

SLA Member

Okay. Even if the Phoenix Suns are better than us, I can bet the Rockets will make the playoffs this year.

And I still believe that Larry Smith.....who didn't know what the hell he was doing....screwed up our team in the very end.

Both the Suns and the Rockets can make the playoffs.

But Grizzlies? Please.

6. bhanchod

bhanchod Member

Man the west is just great...Let kidd have the east, but the competition is here baby

7. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I'd take that bet...

8. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I've just got on thing to add. Contrary to popular belief, Phoenix's draft was a bit less than spectacular.

Carbakapa has good size and athleticism but doesn't translate well to the NBA as he plays very soft and small for his size. He has bust written all over him.

Leandrinho is a scoring PG, with long arms. He has a Steve Francis style of game, and possibly Steve Francis level talent, but he also has Steve Francis level defense, and he's a year or two away.

Kinda sucks that the Suns' front office is paralyzed by Googs' and Penny's big contracts, huh? Especially with Marion's big deal. Heh.

9. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

man, i really hope the rox make the playoffs this coming season, i can't take much more of missing out. i just hope they don't pull something like they did last season....at the beginning of the season they looked like a pretty good team, they were one of the top teams in the west, and the best moment was when francis went for 44 points against the lakers, dishing out the game winning assist to boot. they were like 23-15, a seed for the playoffs, while the lakers weren't even a seed. then from there it collapsed, man....seriously i couldn't believe we dropped so much from that point, to make it even worse, the lakers, after the rox kicked their asses, went on to be a 5th seed. i don't want that crap ever to happen again. hopefully, JVG can straighten out a few things with this team.

10. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

The second half of the season was a lot tougher than the first half, especially without Rudy. That's why the Rox 'collapsed', IMO.

Unfortunately, they also wasted the easier first half. It'll be interesting to see what happens next season. The season starts out pretty tough and finishes really tough. There won't be a lot of room for error.

11. SaVeThEpIgS88

SaVeThEpIgS88 Member

UMM WE DID BEAT THEM TWO TIMES... MEMBER... WHAT AN IDIOT.. and YES I KNOW INTENSITY IS GREATER IN THE PLAYOFFS... but the rockets can beat them.... You are just saying they are better cuz they are the playoff champs.. what makes you say that.. just cuz they beat LA and Dallas who were some of the best teams in the nba clearly doesnt make them better.... you are just a dumb idiot generalizing... STUPID STUPID STUPID

#51 SaVeThEpIgS88, Aug 14, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2003
  12. negitoro

negitoro Member

Man, reading the posts I missed, it really seems I totally opened a can of worms by declaring Houston would be fighting with a playoff spot with Phoenix.

In any case, my assessment stands. Even though Houston has a good chance to make the playoffs, in the West, it's nearly impossible to guarantee anything.

And by 2nd tier I never meant Phoenix > Houston.

I meant :

Top tier -- LA, Sacto, Minnesota, Dallas and San Antonio (Championship contenders)
    2nd tier -- Phoenix, Houston, Portland, Seattle (Playoff contenders)
    3rd tier -- Memphis, Golden State (maybes)
    4th tier -- Denver, LA Clippers, Utah (slim-to-none)

13. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

I do not know about leaving Clutch city but yes, if the Rockets miss the playoff something is off. Utah lost 2 HOF player and should fall off like ......like.....well like the Rockets when Dream and Bark said bye-bye. Plus Golden STate has made some questionable :confused: decisions. almost Clipper like decetions.

that leave in contetion for 6-8 (you know the first 5 spots are locked up) Portland, Houston, Seattle, Denver, Phoenix and memphis ( do not sleep on the nuggets and griz)

14. SLA

SLA Member

Golden State is probably the worst team in the entire NBA now. You can have 5 tiers.....Golden State is in the 9th tier!

15. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

The ONLY, ONLY way the Rockets don't make the playoffs this year is if Steve or Yao miss an EXTENDED amount of time due to injury. It's guaranteed otherwise.

16. mikelowery

mikelowery Member

Honestly i think the rockets have just as much talent as anyone out there...Dallas has stars and no rings and the kings have talent and no ring...I see the rockets as good as any team out there...What they dont have over the top teams is consistancy and heart...If JVG can install that in thier brains i think the rockets will be around the 6th seed of the playoffs...If he doesnt well might as well not even watch a game....

17. SaVeThEpIgS88

SaVeThEpIgS88 Member

We still should be able to make it 8th by beating the crap out of seattle, utah, memphis, and nuggets...

18. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

YOU WOULD BE CRAZY TO SAY VAN GUNDY IS LESSER THAN RUDY, B/C...WELL...WE HAVNT EXACTLY BEEN A PLAYOFF TEAM THE PAST 4 YEARS...SO UR POINT IS MUTE THERE EDC

19. edc

edc Contributing Member

(1) Please learn how to turn off your "caps lock."

(2) Please learn how to spell. You should learn to be a bit more "mute," as then the rest of us wouldn't have to deal with your expectoration.

(3) There are plenty and plenty of other threads on this. Two of the last four years are aberrations due to injury, and the other two have been building blocks to being a contender. Much of that is torn down. In New York, JVG never won anything, and I don't see succeess here with what "basketball style" he had. It will require the "55 wins" some are predicting this season for JVG to prove his worth...

20. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

i dont understand why you are making a point about my spelling, which is by choice just so you know...maybe you were trying to change subjects b/c i won the point...how about you put rudy in place of JVG when new york made the finals and then see the result...this guy actually got marcus camby to play hard and got larry johnson to play with a back that was pretty much not servicable anymore. he gets his players to play with heart and passion, two things that rudy was never able to do with this squad.