1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

**** YOU BOB MCNAIR

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Butterfingers, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Second hand, during a game. I mean it would be nice to hear a non punter have a comment about the field. This field has been around for 12 years and so far the evidence isn't much.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's just a hand waive, you just want to dismiss those who bring up obvious flaws in what is one of the worst fields in the NFL so you can pretend it's not a problem and I'm not really sure why.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I couldn't care less if the Texans decided to go to field turf... I just don't see the increased rate of injuries on their current field vs. any other field.

And, since all are clamoring why this isn't being done, or people are exclaiming "*** YOU BOB MCNAIR" like this thread title shows, I'm offering a plausible explanation as to why they haven't switched.

Not only is is possible that the tray system is not the devil... but its also possible that the players actually prefer playing on the grass vs. field turf.

I know they do rankings of field quality for all NFL teams every year... and I don't recall seeing the Texans near the bottom. We should review some of those as well (in addition to looking at whether or not people do have more turf related injuries here).

4. Bandwagoner

Qualify this. Quantify it. Show me you aren't just pulling something out of your ass. Compare it to other fields in a meaningful and not a subjective way.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

now your impugning the other guys comment because hes a punter. cmon . this is nuts.

also who cares if swagg is speaking for clowney. hes not capable of saying what someone told him? he has no reason to lie.

7. Bandwagoner

It isn't nuts. If you had seen an NFL practice you know that punters and kickers never run. Get back to the worst field in the NFL discussion.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

One of the best coaches in NFL history says it....I take his word for it rather than just dismissing it because it's negative. We know it caused the punter's injury, we know it caused Welker's injury, all the evidence points to it causing Clowney's injury....unless you think he lied to DJ. I just don't see why you seem to think it's hard to believe that a field that looks like this could be dangerous?

[​IMG]

9. Bandwagoner

LOL, I called this before. Bill b says it so it must be true. Never mind gillette stadium fieldturf is horrible.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You have an excuse and a hand waive for everything don't you? Fair enough, I'm fine with you sticking by the party line and supporting the dangerous field that shreds knees, just don't complain when it happens agian.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Despite all the circumstantial evidence... this is ultimately a decision that can only come from the coaches/players.

I guess the NFL surveys the players every year... because here's another article (even older than the one I posted above) that has no mention of the Texans being anywhere close to having the "worst" field.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/1145/nfl-s-best-and-worst-surfaces

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's ironic considering you are the other side of the same coin.

14. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

NRG has an astroturf surface, they just don't use it for Texans games. College football, high school etc only

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

everyone wants to argue with Bandwagoner, and yet no one is addressing Nick's posts with the only real data here. Surveying the players who are on the field is good info..

hearing from a former punter (who doesn't run around much) with a lawsuit against the team, a coach of a player for whom he's sticking up for/pissed off about losing, and a 3rd player who may or may not have blamed the field is not only just 3 data points...all 3 are potentially fallible. They're not definitely fallible, but I'll take the larger sample size over multiple years

1 person likes this.
  16. Bandwagoner

I think I break that rule big time anyways. I am one of the few killing the owner for budding in on the astrodome, asking for more money to maintain the stadium and effectively shutting down astroworld.

17. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

What "evidence" is there that Clowney's injury was because of the turf? Did Bill Bill Belichick watch the play and you took his word for it?

Lying is one thing and wishful thinking is another. This is his 3rd injury since we got him and no one wants to be known as "injury prone." I'm not saying that means the turf wasn't the problem but the point is there is no "evidence" one way or another. Or maybe Andre Johnson texted you about it since you guys are such good friends ;)

18. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Well, Clowney turn his meniscus by simply jumping and afterwards he claimed that he landed in a "hole"... Good enough for ya?

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

DJ is gonna get the BOB smackdown for talking to the media on behalf of Clowney. DJ needs to learn don't speak for teammates to the media. Media are like hungry sharks waiting for some blood.

20. So Good

So Good Member

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/167005635&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>