1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

**** YOU BOB MCNAIR

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Butterfingers, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

What they need to do is what Jerry Jones (puke) does up in Arlington. They have a field for the Cowboys, and a field for the amateurs.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They have field turf though.... so it really doesn't matter if there are separate fields.

3. MykTek

MykTek Member

did anyone read the Texans feature in ESPN Mag a few weeks ago?

They change out the field almost every week, they rotate the slabs so it's not the same field every week. Looks like it was not that good batch of grass.

4. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

On 610, they were saying that some of the squares are softer than others, and some are just straight up hard a hell. It would be like playing on different fields, and its hard to adjust to, no consistency.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

But isn't this field a bunch of square palates? That can be removed and inter changed?

6. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Um...I'm pretty sure the poor state of the grass didn't pull AJ's hamstring. It also had little (read: nothing) to do with Mario's pectoral tear. Schaub's lisfranc was crushed by Fat Albert, not the grass in Tampa Bay's stadium. I can't confirm nor deny the influence it had on some of the other injuries this season.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I was talking about what they have at Arlington and Cowboys Stadium. They only need to have one field because its field turf.

Its probably just a matter of time before the Texans make the switch.... probably when their contract runs out with this grass company that they're paying to maintain the upkeep.

8. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Natural turf is supposed to be the best surface for preventing injuries I thought. Players can get their cleats stuck in artificial turf causing serious injuries I have heard. It really didn't look like the turf injured Andre or the punter in my opinion. They were just running down the field and went down for no apparent reason. I would certainly like to hear the players or coaches opinion on the turf.

9. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2011/12/04/texans-players-say-field-not-up-to-par/

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

And hooray hooray, they're playing the Houstongalleryfurniture.commeinikecarcare Bowl the night before the NYD finale against the Titans.

Time to re-evaluate this field policy.

Since it's all movable slabs, why not double or at least increase the slabs to help the rotation?

And my god, take care of them. Make like my high school baseball coach and go insane maintaining the field.

11. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

How about AJ's first pull against the Steelers, Demeco having a season ender jumping up in the Chiefs game, or Welker tearing an ACL in week 17 2009? He also said this was the worst grass he's ever played on. As many contact season ending injuries there's been, there's been as many non-contact ones too.

I think one of the radio guys were saying from the field level, you can even spot the seams between squares. Bob obviously doesn't have a grass guy.

12. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

i will never in my life tell the man that gave me a football team to root for . "F**k You".. change the title or kick rocks...

1 person likes this.
  13. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Field Turf must happen this off season.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Well, first off, FieldTurf is a name brand...like Coke. Sheesh.

That said, synthetic turf is the way to go. The initial cost is higher than natural. However, the long term cost is much less as you figure less in landscaping maintenance, paint, and water. Also, the fields today are much much safer than they used to be and are proving to be safer than natural fields in many cases (especially in terms of head injuries and these cutting type injuries).

The tray system the Texans are using HAS TO GO. Any time you can see the seams between the trays, you can almost guarantee someone will get hurt if they come in contact with it. It's dangerous and now costing the Texans their own players.

15. leroy

That is no longer true at all. With the rubber and/or sand infilled systems used these days, they are designed to not catch the cleats, allowing a clean cut back.

Yes and no. Synthetic turf? Yes. FieldTurf? No.

Leroy's turf? HELL YES!

16. leroy

It does only because the field can get prematurely aged when you're moving it back and forth as much as they do. You can have 1 field and use special synthetic turf paints to mark the fields. As little hours per week as football-specific fields (especially professional ones) get used, there's no reason to have multiple fields.

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The ideas of real grass and a retractable roof went hand in hand and required a huge additional financial investment to get the real "outdoor football environment" people thought they wanted, but it seems to me that the experiment(s) are failing because:

A. the roof is rarely open
    B. when it is, the heat and glare in the North end zone make those seats worthless
    C. it ruins the TV picture
    D. Jacoby Jones has proven he can't catch the ball looking back into the sun (or just proven he can't catch the ball)
    E. The tray system grass will always have seams that are firmer than the middles, so the footing will be uneven.
    F. The crowd is louder with the roof closed and that helps the defense. Play to our strength.

Lock up the roof, sell the motors for scrap, put in some Playturf and lets move on. The synthetic has caught up to the aesthetic.

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:confused:

That's not WHY it happened. These are just random things and our players were on bad ends of it, that's all... how come it just happened to our players? I don't know...

19. leroy

Wes Welker was "our player"? We don't know the cause to the opposing players because none of us pay any attention. Welker was just a high profile one.

You don't know WHY it happened any more than us. We do know players have complained about the field and the trays for years. Like I said, if you can see the seam, it's potentially a problem. It's the same in natural as it is in synthetic. Bad seams are dangerous to the performance of the field and to the players.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's time for field turf.