1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yo-Yao Chinese center has some good moments -- and some bad

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by windandsea, Aug 23, 2002.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I could care less what China does with Ming. The important part is that he had a good bit of sucess. How the Rockets use Yao, is the real test.

2. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

If the "Chinese way" is teamwork, why were the guards jacking up threes with nobody down the court. It seems to me Yao is a team player, more than the rest of his team.

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

Imagine Ming surrounded by the very talented Rocket players; they will make him much better, and he will allow them to do more. My prediction for Ming is (first year) solid numbers (may average a double-double) and be impressive defensively, (second year) will become more dominant all-around, (third year) will help team seriously contend for a championship.

Could the Rocket's eventually have two or more All-Stars? It is very possible (Frances, Mobley, Griffin, Ming, maybe Taylor, Thomas, or Nashbar). I think Ming is a perfect fit, he will probably never demand to be the "centerpiece" of the team. Rudy has a load of talent; if he can put it alltogether and avoid injuries, we are headed back to a championship.

4. moomoo

moomoo Member

Slow down there. It was Finley who before this game was quoted as saying that Yao would be a bust...

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'll even give the Finley quote from yesterday:

"There has been a lot of hype about him the last two or three years. It will be interesting to see if he's worth the hype. I know the big guys on our team are definitely looking forward to the challenge. They're going to put it to him. It will be interesting to see how he'll do. I don't think he'll do well. That's my opinion. Believe me, he'll be dunked on."

At least Michael Finley, today, didn't turn his nose up at a healthy serving of crow. Eat hearty, Michael!

6. almostReady

almostReady Member

The Finley quote proved nothing but HE HAS CLASS. If you read it, you can feel he was controling his temper and trying to use moderate words. Not like big mouth Ben's (such as "borderline dirty", "hype to sell tickets", "beat him up" etc.), Finley's words were "It will be interesting to see if he's worth the hype", we're "looking forward to the challenge", "to put it to him"," It will be interesting to see how he'll do. ", "That's my opinion. ", etc.

Finley was an all star and a veteran, but he said he was " looking forward to the ***challenge*** ", (to a rookie!), you tell me whether he has good manner and class!!!!

7. almostReady

almostReady Member

Finley said " I don't think he will do well ". That's a basketball opinion. It can be correct or wrong, just like any opinion.

He didn't say it in a vicious manner, did he?

P.S. Where did he use word "bust"? Could you help me to find it out?

Well, I like Finley, but I love Yao. I mentioned him only because he said nice things about Yao after last night game. That's all.

So moomoo, I think it is you who should slow down and read more carefully.

#27 almostReady, Aug 23, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2002
  8. moomoo

moomoo Member

So I paraphrased a little...

9. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Because you only remember the shots that didn't go in, and that Yao
    didn't take.

10. HenryH

HenryH Member

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Say, now, I think Michael Finley is a decent dude, I might be rubbing his nose in it a little, but I'm glad he admitted he was wrong (by saying Yao's a good player).

In the end, Finley makes $10,000,000 a year, and I....don't. So he can say what he wants. :)

12. clarence lui

clarence lui Member

It might not be a good way to play the US squad, but that has been the Chinese NT's way of playing, which has been quite effective in Asia. Notice that Chinese guards are in general less creative, less explosive and less physical than their counterparts of western teams. When playing against the U.S. squad, they are absolutely overwhelmed by their superior athleticism.

Normally, they are more accurate shooters when they aren't tested physically as much. And this is the learning curve they have to climb. First and foremost, they need better conditioning and a better weight-training program before they can do better in international competitions. Not to mention coaching et al...

Ming's coming to America will be enlightenment to chinese players and coaches in generations to come.

13. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

4-17 from three. So basically, I remembered most of their shots. Maybe you forgot all the ones that missed.

:p