1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yi Jianlian

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rocketman1979, Aug 4, 2009.

1. malakas

malakas Member

They should wait to see also who gets waived. Boston is about to waive one young wing. Much better than any of those players.

2. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Looks like he's going back to China, doubt if any NBA team would be interested. Yi asked for his release before they cut him, that's like a guy quitting before he got fired.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17872137/yi-jianlian-asks-released-los-angeles-lakers

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

FTW Rockets FTW and jbasket like this.
  4. hvic

hvic Member

at least he knows when to hang up his NBA dream

5. tiger0330

Changed my mind about the guy after seeing him play this preseason in limited minutes. He's still a 7' jump shooter that didn't make enough 3s or do anything else to stick.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kwame Brown > Yi

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

completely different animal trying to make it in the league. respect for trying to give it another shot but it was always a tough task for him to actually make the roster.

8. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

IMHO, the challenge for him was that playing in the NBA was not his dream. If it was, we'd have seen more fight from him.

9. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Del Harris was spot on when he compared him to Stromile Swift.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

yes it was.

he wanted to be the next Yao Ming.

The hype was strong with him.

http://www.nba.com/features/yaoyi_20071109.html
    remember dude. Truth > ALL

11. hvic

hvic Member

I think it was because why would he leave China again to play in the NBA with a lower salary

12. yoeddy

Didn't see anything in there that showed that Yi dreamed of a big NBA career. Lots of hype about him by people around him, but nothing from him directly that would indicate any huge desire to play in the NBA.

Yao watched a video of Yi's NBA highlights and said "He looks nice". Not exactly big-time excitement.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

So you went into Yi's head like Inception and figured out he didn't want to be in the NBA?
    or you are just saying that to lessen his failure as an NBA player
    I think odds of you being Leonardo DiCaprio in Inception are zero.

We're Rockets fans who've been here since the beginning, the Yi hype was super strong when he got drafted by the Bucks.

14. tiger0330

If Yi is the best player China has that kid Zhou doesn't have a chance.

oakdogg likes this.
  15. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

Put my competitiveness in Zhou's body and he would instantly be the starting center on the Rockets. I have the "IT" factor that Westbrook, MJ, Kobe had but unfortunately i'm only 5'10.

16. toycannon

toycannon Member

Put my fire and motor in James Harden and he would be MJ.2k..I'm 5.8 and I have will all my YMCA Basketball league teams and Sunday Softball teams to championship...lol

17. yoeddy

You may have forgotten, but I was a huge Nets fan when they played in NJ. When Yi joined the team, I was super-excited with all the hype and seeing how great of an athlete he was...the size and athleticism, the vertical, etc. I was in full YF-mode. But as his time with the Nets went on, he became harder and harder to defend. With guys like Yao and Lin, I could see the desire they had to play basketball. It showed in how hard they worked, how much effort they put out on the court, in their interviews, etc. You could debate their skills a lot (or at least you can with Lin...Yao was beyond critique in his offensive game once he got used to the NBA)...but you could never debate whether they had the desire to play. Yi, on the other hand, showed none of that fire. No intensity...nothing. There was one game where he did show it...it was pounding his chest after every basket, screaming after every dunk, etc. But it was a flash in the pan. I went through 2 years of that...superior physical talent choked down by lack of passion/desire.

No need to lessen his failure as an NBA player. An NBA player has to have that fire in his belly to succeed. I do not believe Yi has it. He lives a great, cushy life in China...comes to the NBA and is at the bottom of the totem pole. But unlike other players who have fire in their belly and want to prove everyone wrong by adjusting their game and improving, Yi just quits.

18. yoeddy

Zhou is young and still has time to develop physically. If he has the passion for the game, he's got the tools and instinct to be an NBA player.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Dreaming to be in the NBA is one thing .
    Dude who sucks is an another.

You obviously can't say he sucks cause of his race .

Anyone of any race can suck at basketball

20. yoeddy

Why would I say he sucks cause of his race? I said he sucks because he does not have the fire in his belly to want to make it in the NBA.