1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yi Jianlian Video

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by sjackson0, Jul 5, 2006.

1. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

2. Docsdock

Docsdock Member

Agreed! He has some smooth moves. Where can we find more stats on him--size, position, weight and age?

3. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

IIRC he is 18 and 7'1". With the good relationship between the Rockets and the Chinese basketball association (we are taking care of Yao Ming really well), may be somehow they will make Yi bypass the draft and sign with the Rockets as a free agent? :D

#3 RocketForever, Jul 5, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  4. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

Looks like he's starting to dominate the CBA, that's a good sign. He appears much more aggressive now than he did the last time I saw him in the Olympics. I don't see how you can pass his size, athleticism, and shooting touch up after pick #10.

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

the kid's jumper is old school. He's got some hang time becuase of the strong kick.

6. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

The defenders look pretty poor, and I'm pretty sure that he'll have a much harder time elevating above NBA defenders. He'll definitely need to add more to his offensive repetoire if he is going to succeed offensively. He does appear to have pretty good footwork along with some explosive athleticism. He'll be definitely be a project player unlike Yao Ming initially, but I like his upside.

7. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

CNT played 6 warm-up games against France, Italy. Yi is average like 6 pts per game, while Wang Zhizhi (who can't make any NBA team last year) average 22 pts. That should be a good measurement of how good Yi REALLY is...

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He showed some skills and athletic ability but is clearly at least 2-3 years from being an effective player in the NBA. His turnaround shot looked good. Hard to judge him facing the basket because of the "matador" defense on the video.

9. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

if they are warm up games (preseason) Is Yi playing many minutes? They say that he's becoming a beast out there. Warm up games shouldn't determine whether or not Yi can play huh?

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i guess we will find out how good he is at the WBC. if he is any good then yao, wang, and yi should do some damage.

11. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

They didn't play a whole lot of defense in that video. For the first two minutes I don't think his shots were challenged at all, he just put em up. But he's really athletic for a tall guy. Interesting project. But people should really be questioning whether he can defend or not.

12. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

from the various videos that i've seen on him definitely looks like a mid to late first round talent. he's an easy 6'10 if not taller and is a fluid athlete who moves well, and possesses good skills.

HOWEVER, you have to consider the level of talent he's playing against.

is he quick enough to get by NBA PF's? is he strong enough to play in the post in the NBA? can he play defense at all?

those are all legit questions when projecting him to the NBA. is he talented? yes. is he special? that is yet to be seen.

13. airmanz

airmanz Member

I have been watching Yao and Wang's game since Yao was 17. Wang's offense is the best in China. His poor defensive performance hurts him too much. I still believe Wang is much better than a lot of players in NBA. If he can improve his defence by 30%, he will have some impacts here. Furthermore, I think Wang has some personal problems that affects him.

14. airmanz

airmanz Member

He is 7' to 7'1. He is weak right now but much stronger comparing with Yao when he was first here. His move is much faster than Yao and has very nice leaping ability. I think he will have a better future than Yao if his age is really 18.

15. airmanz

airmanz Member

Chinese guards suck! They can be a top 4 team in the world if there is a decent pg.

16. opticon

opticon Member

his game looks pretty good. He seems to have shades of dirk as far his shooting and driving ability for a big man. Bad thing is much like dirk when he first entered the league his defence sucked.

17. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Oh come on. I love the height, athleticsm and quickness of this kid but saying that he will have a better future than Yao (who is the best center in NBA now) based on a few clips is quite a hyperbole.

18. airmanz

airmanz Member

If he is really 18. Yao was not that good when he was 18.

19. chinayaoming

chinayaoming Member

姓名:易建联(Yi Jianlian)
    生日:1987年10月27日
    身高:2.12米
    体重:110公斤
    籍贯:广东鹤山
    学历:大学
    单位:广东宏远队
    位置:大前锋/中锋
    国家队号码:20
    奥运会报名项目:男篮