1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

yet another trade thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jdmb82, Oct 4, 2007.

1. jdmb82

jdmb82 Member

What about JLIII to New Jersey for Bostjan Nachbar? or...

Rafer Alston and Kirk Snyder to New Jersey for someone like Jumaine Jones?

2. Dr. Basketball

no way NJ does either of those trades. If they traded Nachbar for JL3, thier GM would be fired by the weekend

3. jdmb82

jdmb82 Member

Well, how about Rafer for Nachbar?

4. Barkley

Barkley Member

We have already spoken about that and as I remember most of the members agreed. That would be good but I;m not sure if NJ agrees

5. jdmb82

jdmb82 Member

How about Rafer for Ryan Bowen?

6. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

ung nachbar is so fun to watch now

he's crazy

tries to dunk it every time

but still has like 42% from 3

I love it

7. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

JL3 for Shaq!

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

With Jason Kidd playing 40 minutes a night and Marcus Williams coming off the bench i'm pretty sure NJ wouldn't want any of our PG garbage.

9. zong

zong Member

Like this one, but like JL3 for Wade more. HaHa :rolleyes:

10. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

marcus is injured

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

New Jersey might have room for Rafer, but they would likely want the Rockets to take on Jason Collins's deal (2 yrs., $12M+ remaining).

Another option, if the Rockets are desperate to dump Rafer's salary, might be to trade Rafer to Cleveland (badly in need of decent guards who can actually dribble) for Ira Newble's expiring contract. Some smaller contracts might need to be thrown in to make it work, but that wouldn't be too difficult. The Rockets could then either waive Newble or agree to a smaller buyout and end up saving several million dollars over the next three years.

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Idle speculation trade threads, always a good time.

I think Morey has shown that we can expect good work from him. I'm sure we've got two trades coming to tweak the roster to a sensible 15. Getting a couple preseason games will allow Adelman to get a grasp on who's not going to be in his plans.

I'd suspect a Lucas for a 2nd rounder trade, and a 3 for 1 trade by Oct 20th. Who knows, maybe we hit the jackpot and land Varejao in a S&T. We'll see.

Evan

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I doubt we'll be able to trade Lucas for anything. Everyone knows we have a roster crunch and that if they wait, we'll have to cut Lucas and eat his contract. Then, one of them can sign him without giving up any talent or exposing themselves to the risk of his contract.

We could trade one or more people that are safely within our top-15. But, at this point, Reed, Lucas, Snyder, etc., are not going to find any takers except as throw-ins to a bigger deal.

14. BimaThug

Supporting Member

As it stands now, the most COST-EFFECTIVE cuts the Rockets could make at the end of training camp (as opposed to any basketball-related factors) are:

1) Mike Harris: $50,000 - partial guarantee of minimum salary
    2) Carl Landry: ~$100,000-150,000 - partial guarantee of minimum salary
    3) John Lucas III: $500,000 - partial guarantee of $770,610 salary
    4) Steve Novak: $687,456 - full second-year player minimum salary
    5) Bob Sura: $1,000,000 - partial guarantee of ~$3.8M salary

Also, keep in mind that the Rockets are currently over the luxury tax. Any guaranteed money that they cut will count towards computation of the tax. That is why I think it is less of a foregone conclusion than most that Justin Reed will be waived. He is owed ~$1,529,873 this season, with a player option for next year at around or above that figure. Waiving him would cost the Rockets over $3M plus the extra luxury tax for this year and next year.

15. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

The Nets don't want or need anymore PGs. Williams is said to be only missing a couple of weeks or so of the season and they just picked up Darrell Armstrong.

If we are trying to trade PGs, my bet is either Charlotte and/or Golden State. The Bucks could use some depth at the point as well.

16. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Bostjan for JL3 and Mike Harris is fine deal to me.
    Not for the Nets.
    Mike Harris
    JL3
    Bob Sura
    ???
    Fourth player that will be cut??

17. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Mike Harris can't be traded until December 15, since he signed with the team as a new free agent.

18. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Alston and Reed or Butler for Hedo and a future 2nd.

Hedo and Alston have a similar contract with three years left.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

Clippers signed Dickau. Maybe they don't have faith in Cassell & Knight in staying healthy?

Perhaps Cassell's expiring contract for Alston+filler(Reed, Lucas, & Novak)?

20. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Why would the Nets need Rafer? They have Kidd and Marcus Williams, and I believe they just signed Darrell Armstrong as their third PG.