1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yet another thread about rebuilding vs. retooling

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Williamson, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nice. You're not counting Kobe because he technically was drafted by Charlotte even though they picked him on the Lakers request and immediately sent him to Los Angeles for Divac?

2. Williamson

But didn't enter the NBA until 1989 due to his service in the Navy. Nit-pick much?

3. STUD

STUD Rookie

Ehh, I'm not sure about that. I don't think were as bad as the kings or timberwolves. But were not better than Phx or Portland either.

I get that everyone feels great that were currently winning, but at times like these fans seen to overrate their team(or underrate when their losing). Just like we did when we got off to a very bad start.

Now if we look at the last 16 games, the rockets have gone 11-5

Golden State w
    @Charlotte L
    Oklahoma City W
    @Dallas L
    LA Lakers W
    @Memphis W
    @Chicago L
    Detroit W
    @Milwaukee L
    Cleveland W
    Sacramento W
    @Oklahoma City L
    Memphis W
    @Sacramento W
    @Golden State W
    @LA Clipps W

The only two notable wins came against the Thunder and Lakers and both victories were somewhat stained. With both wins coming at home and the Lakers coming off of a back to back, with Gasol playing heavy minutes the previous night. And with the Thunder lets me just say that Battier scored the same amount as points as the NBA leading scorer and I doubt that ever happens again ...

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

topfive's analysis only proves one thing: superstars are rare, which we know already. The fact remain, and this is what the OP points out: It is more likely to draft a superstar than to trade for or sign one.

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

I have no doubt in my mind if we continue what we are doing we will be able to trade for a top pick every year. This year weren't we close to trading for Favors or Cousins? How about last year we were chasing the 3rd pick for Rubio? I believe it will be even easier to trade for an 8th or 9th pick in the draft with the assets we have. You can get franchise players with the 8th or 9th. See Pierce, T-Mac. We don't have to tank.

6. PeppermintCandy

Oh right. I forgot about his naval obligations.

Still, going back to 1983, the Spurs were a subpar team then, and it did take a record of 28-54 in 87 to get David Robinson to change their fortunes.

7. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This.

The same modus operantis has not produced a team that made a team run in the playoffs. Even stars such as Howard who have not won a chip yet, have at least tasted deep playoffs run.

As I said before, there are no guarantees in the draft, but if you have a high draft pick(s) for several years, it gives you a chance to draft the next Wade, Lebron, Rose, etc...

8. Outlier

Outlier Member

Then we shall draft one with a draft pick from a different team.

Btw, is everyone forgetting Jordan Hill and Terrence Williams? They were lottery picks.

9. PeppermintCandy

But they weren't Morey's lottery picks.

If a team doesn't believe their GM can pick the right players when given high-end lottery draft picks to work with for several consecutive seasons, they should probably think of replacing their GM instead of blaming the lottery system.

10. Williamson

Acquiring high upside late lottery guys whose teams have practically given up on them is a bit different than drafting a top five pick.

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

Bottom-line is they were lottery picks, with as much potential as anyone in their draft class (until after 5 years in the NBA then we'll see if they're stars or not)

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I agree with the OPs analysis completely, if not his conclusions.

In fact, the exceptions he cites don't even hurt his argument. We are not LA/Chi/Bos/NYK/MIA. Those markets can attract free agents where we (and every other team) cannot.

So citing any of those teams as examples of getting a superstar without drafting them is not a path we can take.

That being said, even if the odds are against us, I would rather go to war every year with the roster we have than tank on the slim hope of drafting a superstar.

Maybe we can attract a FA like we did with T-Mac or like how Boston got KG (why isn't he on the superstar list btw?).

Maybe there is a FA who doesn't want a superfriend and is just looking for a solid roster to be the alpha dog on.

And also, other than the Spurs/Rockets, no team outside of those major markets has won a ring via the tanking/drafting a superstar route.

13. Williamson

Really? They have as much potential as Derrick Rose and Blake Griffin? C'mon, man. Besides, if you go back to my list of teams to win the championship over the past 25 years the only players who didn't play at a very high level their rookie year were Kobe Bryant (straight out of high school), Tony Parker (19 and coming from Europe) and Chauncey Billups. The majority of those guys were superstars from day one. Seldom does one develop a superstar.

14. Williamson

I respect that.

I only listed those drafted in the past ten years. KG was drafted earlier than that.

15. Outlier

Outlier Member

How is it any different? Some players can strive better when they're on a different team... it doesn't take anything from their talent and potential.

Gilbert Arenas, Joe Johnson, Steve Nash, Pau Gasol, Ron Artest, Devin Harris, Azubuike.

Another man's scraps is another man's treasure.

16. Outlier

Outlier Member

Tracy McGrady...

And while he isn't a superstar, he did develop pretty damn well: Kyle Lowry

There's also Gerald Wallace, Chauncey Billups, Baron Davis who averaged 5 points in his rookie year

17. PeppermintCandy

To our eyes, sure. But you'd have to think a good GM and his staff are much more discerning about these players' potential.

Just because we can only tell whether these players are stars or not after five years doesn't mean that a GM shouldn't be able to. That's why they're paid the big bucks.

Unless Morey is just a middle-of-the-pack GM, his chances of finding the real diamonds from the many zirconias should increase as our draft pick does.

18. trugoy

trugoy Member

great GMs don't get their teams deep into the lottery.

19. Outlier

Outlier Member

Morey seems to think T-Will will be a great player... we'll see what he shows us. Merry Christmas!!

1 person likes this.
  20. Williamson

First, it's different because they weren't necessarily the guys we would have drafted (they just became available), secondly it's different because the draft is already risky. But the guys drafted that teams quickly give up on? That's even riskier.

And of the guys you listed, only Steve Nash, Pau Gasol and Joe Johnson are stars. But you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel to throw Azubuike on the list. And if you were naming players chosen late that became stars, you also forgot Carlos Boozer, Manu Ginobili and Luis Scola. But that's irrelevant. If you think it's hard to draft a star player in the lottery, it's considerably more difficult to do so in the late first round or second round. It's possible, certainly, but incredibly difficult. And besides, choosing in the lottery doesn't forfeit our right to a second round pick to mine for gold like that. In fact, it just means we get one of the first second round picks too!

I don't even understand this post. You're responding to a post I made in which I discuss the MVP's of the Finals? I'm pretty sure Tracy McGrady never even made it to the second round of the playoffs as an active player. And Gerald Wallace, Baron Davis and Kyle Lowry haven't either.

If you're responding to what I said at the end - seldom does on develop superstars - then you only listed one player who was ever considered a superstar. And I said seldom, not never. So you didn't even refute me.