1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yet another Kevin Love hand injury could create an opportunity (UPDATE: Love re-fractures hand)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BeeBeard, Jan 4, 2013.

1. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Start Delfino instead and we'll be the UN of the NBA.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If you truly believe this, then maybe assessing basketball players just isn't your thing. Calling Love a "better rebounding Patterson" is like calling LeBron a more athletic Parsons.

1 person likes this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This would be a heavy price to pay, but could work:

- Asik to Charlotte
    - Parsons, Patterson, one of TJones/DMo, Charlotte and/or Houston draft picks to Minnesota
    - Love, Tyrus Thomas to Houston

Filler to make it work from salary perspective

Ideally you'd only like to lose one of Asik/Parsons, but just being creative here. Minnesota gets cheap players and draft picks. Charlotte gets salary relief (Thomas has a horrible contract) and a player in Asik who fits in perfectly with their new direction (gritty, hard nose, defensive type center... though they'll still suck).

Houston gets Love, but gives up a lot and takes on Thomas' horrible contract. He has 2 years left after this year at $8 million a year.

But I'd do it.

PG: Lin, Douglas
    SG: Harden, Delfino
    SF: Morris, [ ]
    PF: Love, one of Jones/DMo
    C: Smith, Aldrich

4. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Or we could not give up anything and get a better PF fit in J-Smoove in free agency.

5. Nook

Nook Member

I tend to agree with you in that I want a PF that defends the paint and blocks shots.

However, I think you listen...... he is probably the best rebounder in the NBA and is able to score from anywhere on the floor. Obviously any discussion begins with Parsons

6. Nook

Nook Member

No thank you....

Have too many players that do not know how to defend from a team perspective....... Smith is stupid.

7. JD88

JD88 Member

Lol like I said in the other thread, this is Kevin Frickin' Love were talking about, and you wouldn't want to give up Parsons contract??? Everyone here is so excited about Harden, Love put up the same numbers last year as Harden is this year, as well as grab 14 rebounds per. And hes young

You give up EVRYONE AND ANYONE to get a player of Kevin Love's caliber. All day, any day, hell put Harden and Love on the court by themselves, they would still probably win 20 games.

That dude put up 26 and 14 last season and had 30 and 30 games. Eff Asik, get some r****d in here ( which is basically what Asik is) to stand at the rim and block shots like that huge African dude on the Bobcats, that draft bust. If Love is capable of dropping 35 any given night, our C position doesn't need to score, ever

8. Arthurprescott2

Wouldn't mind J. Smith. Athleticism, good defense with some range. Sure the range hasn't been consistent throughout his career and he's sort of a bone-head. But I would really like to see some more above-the-rim play from this team. Also, no need to give up any significant assets if grabbed during the offseason as stated above.

Love would be amazing but the identity of this team changes completely w/o Asik (why would Minny want him? They have Pek) or Parsons (that rookie deal is too good). This could be a classic case of overvaluing our own assets but I'd prefer addition without significant subtraction at this early point of the team's development.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I like Josh Smith, too, but would note:

He rebounds ok for a PF. If you are looking for somebody that rebounds great as a PF, that's Kevin Love.

Not always. His 3's are on this year, but historically the problem has been taking too many inefficient long jumpers for just an ok shooter.

I don't think those videos posted are from this year are they?

He never showed as complete an offensive or rebounding game as Bosh did in Toronto. He's never showed as complete an offensive or rebounding game as Love has.

The question is which option would you prefer, if both were available:

Option A: Current roster plus Josh Smith

Option B: Current roster less Asik, Parsons, one of Jones/Dmo, plus Love

I think it's possible to make an argument for the Smith option. Asik, Smith, Parsons can be an awesome defensive frontcourt. You keep all your assets.

But I think DM certainly pursues Love in the way he pursues Harden ("call me when you're ready Kahn") and pursues Smith in the offseason if nothing happens with Love.

Interestingly, a Josh Smith, at his current production, and a fair contract - which is another issue, what type of contract does he expect? - might ultimately be a solid trading chip for Kevin Love.

10. JD88

JD88 Member

I would also like to point out Love dropped 51 and 14 against OKC. So... for those wanting Serge cause he plays defense.... yeah.

11. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I'll never understand why so many people want Josh Smith on this team. Maybe the Comcast situation made you miss the new years eve game. Maybe you just look at box scores and don't actually watch him play. Maybe you just look at Youtube videos where he does nothing but dunk and block shots.

He CAN NOT shoot. He CAN NOT spread the floor. How are Harden and Lin supposed to took it to the rim with Josh Smith, Asik, and both of their defenders clogging the paint cause neither of them can spread the defense? When defenders sag off of Asik and Smith (because neither of them can shoot), and start doubling Lin and Harden, then what? Josh Smith is a good player, but signing him just guarantees us a whole bunch of "meh."

1 person likes this.
  12. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I'm all for getting love, and Love, but somebody averaging 11 & 11 w/ 1 block/game is a "r****d," (poor word choice, FWIW)? You severely underestimate his impact on the Rockets.

13. chronotc

chronotc New Member

what about kenneth faried?...any chance we could pull him from denver?

14. Pringles

Pringles Member

I know Josh Smith has been in this league for a long time now, but couldn't he possibly improve his all-around game and particularly his post up game in a new surrounding?

He has elite athleticism for sure. You have to wonder if he can take that next step, and yes, I know he has been in the league for almost 10 seasons. Kinda like what Rasheed did for the Pistons.

We wouldn't be losing Parson + Asik + Tjones (or DMO) like we would for Love.

Of course, I would trade those three for Love in a heart beat. But Love is a pipe dream. He is not available any time soon.

Also, if Josh Smith is not enough to make us contenders, then the beauty is that we still have Parsons/Asik/Tjones/D-Mo to make necessary trades.

15. The CDN Dream

The CDN Dream Member

Haha i would take smith from a defensive standpoint over love any day of the week

16. JD88

JD88 Member

No no. I love Asik, hes my favorite player on this team, but my point is if we have to give him up to get Love we do it all day. And parsons. Everyone but Harden. If we can get Love we can get someone who does nothing but protect the rim and thats all we need. Love may be the best rebounder in the game, so he wouldnt even need to do that. Just someone to stand there and protect the rim.

17. chronotc

chronotc New Member

any chance of getting kenneth faried from denver? :p

18. Pringles

Pringles Member

Wouldn't keeping Asik and acquiring Smith in the offseason via free agency
    protect the rim better than random center + Love?

Don't get me wrong, I'll trade Asik, Parson, and Jones for Love in a heart beat, but I don't even think the Wolves will make that trade. Nor do I believe Love is even available any time soon.

19. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

People don't understand that rebounding and offense is not our weakness right now. Which is what Kevin Love provides.

Blocking shots and defense is of much greater concern. Josh Smith provides exactly that. Oh, and did I mention he has a post game?

20. scola4

scola4 Member

I cant believe people actually want Josh Smith more than Kevin Love on this team. Kevin Love is one of the best 15 players in the NBA. Its not even close. Also, since when does "being able to finish alley-oops" matter so much in the NBA?