1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yemen government routed by Iranian-backed group, Saudi attacks; clueless Obama humiliated

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Mar 25, 2015.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Well you claim not to have supported the Iraq War, which the neo-cons and AIPAC and Netanyahu, your hero, pushed for. The same war that brought us ISIL which is now used as excuse by Netanyahu to not have a two state solution.

The Saudis are now Israel's ally. Get with the program.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

1) Netanyahu is not my hero
    2) The Saudis are not Israel's ally
    3) ISIS was brought to you by the fanatical religious ideology of political Islam, not by any war. Or how do you explain Boko Haram? Did the USA invade there as well?

3. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

1) good
    2) their interests in opposing Iran are perfectly aligned even if neither leadership will acknowledge it.
    3) poverty and colonialism, brutal ethnic and tribal conflicts followed by rampant government repression and corruption--the latter of which I scarcely think you'd care about unless it conflated with your notions of ideological war.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/udoka-okafor/boko-haram-caliphate_b_5710059.html?

http://www.latimes.com/world/africa/la-fg-nigeria-economy-boko-haram-20140817-story.html#page=1

In Nigeria, child beggars are easy recruits for Boko Haram extremists

1 person likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

"The enemy of my enemy..." is still not necessarily my friend. Their only common interest is being against Iran.

As to the other stuff you mention about Nigeria: Yes, contributing factors. But the common theme is extremist Islam.

5. Northside Storm

is that a common theme with the genocide in Rwanda, previous ethnic conflicts in Nigeria, the concentration camps the British built during the Mau Mau Uprising to castrate and rape prisoners, the repression in Eritrea where children are imprisoned with their parents, the Christian-Muslim conflicts in CAR, and the Darfur genocide?

I think the common theme here is suffering of the innocent--and another common theme is that the powers that be don't really give a s**t about Africans unless they can tie it to some war of the worlds and ideologies. that + government corruption and repression often accelerated by the colonial past.

[​IMG]

^ the world didn't care then except for a few heroes. what else is new.

Yes, let's skirt over how unfair trade agreements starved a generation of children and propelled them to radicalism as a "contributing factor" instead of acknowledging the real and profound suffering that is stoking disgusting violence--no matter the label it's attached to.

1 person likes this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No, but with the Taliban, with the Charlie Hebdo murders, with the London and Paris bombings, with 9/11, and so on and so on and so on.

7. Northside Storm

What about Assad, Saddam, Mubarak, Saleh, and Ben Ali? What's the common theme that unites them?

What's the common theme that unites the Anarchist assassinations, the Zionist terror attacks led by a future Israeli prime minister that founded Likud (think King David hotel and the Deir Yassin massacre), and the IRA attacks?

1 person likes this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You can just throw up random unrelated stuff...that doesn't change anything about the fact that extremist Islam is the common theme behind the incidents I mentioned.

9. Northside Storm

How is it random and unrelated to note that terrorism crosses all races, creeds, and beliefs and really has its roots in a sick perversion of the notion of what it takes to effect political change despite hugely oppressive forces at home and abroad?

You've never come to this forum with any practical solutions or keen insights. All you do is ping a problem that has existed for centuries: resortment to disgusting violence by underpowered groups--as if it just started today.

Disgusting underhanded violence founded Israel, it destabilized Northern Ireland for decades, and it started WW1.

You seem to consider factors like starvation, repression, the killing of civilians, and corruption as only "contributory" to radicalism when ideology is pivotal, despite the fact that the ideology behind this violence always changes.

You address neither practical solutions to counter the ideology (beyond platitudes like "preaching love") or to remove the unwarranted repression.

Every time you start a thread I find it random and unrelated for exactly that reason. This is going to be a bit harsh, but you're a bit like a RSS feed of "bad Middle Eastern news" (perhaps the most covered media topic on Earth these days) with little in the way of solutions or insights--and a lot in the way of personal attacks.

1 person likes this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No, the reason is that you lack common sense and have ideological blinders on.

11. Northside Storm

Common sense is often bulls**t, there's quite a bit that we think by intuition that is entirely wrong (which is the crux of most logical fallacies)

i.e stereotyping, Monty Hall problem, basically all of behavioural economics

Thanks for the complement.

Now--I have ideological blinders on?

1 person likes this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Well, from your perspective that is evidently the case.

Oh, and "compliment".

13. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Well you do have to blow off all other causes like ethnic conflict, poverty, repression etc. to always blame these things mainly if not exclusively on Islam.

Why not claim that Boko Haram hates the other Nigerians because of their freedom while you are at it?

1 person likes this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I said they are contributing factors. Are you conceding that extremist Islam is the common theme among the examples of terrorism I mentioned?

15. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Well said. Repped

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Nothing like a good old fashioned D&D owning.

Kudos to Northside Storm, brilliantly done. You know you've got them when all they can do is reply to only part of your post and eek out one liners.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Fixed.

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

it is well said. i dont understand why you guys have to be rude to each other, and just have normal discourse.

im fairly certain you would not talk like that to each other in person.

i enjoy reading information about this. just tone down angst a bit.

19. g1184

g1184 Member

I found this prediction entertaining ... et voilĂ :

1 person likes this.
  20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Could be that too, idk...