1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yates predictions

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Nov 27, 2011.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Ah. Sorry about that :)

2. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

You ever heard of Brooks Reed? Ben Tate? Connor Barwin? Eric Winston? Demeco Ryans? Shaun Cody? All picked either in the 2nd or 3rd round?

All or most could make the Pro Bowl this year.

Hell, we got our PB TE Daniels in the 4th round and arguably the best center in the league Myers in the 6th round.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The team is 8-3, there is no guarantee next year they will be a winning team, you go for it when the opportunities present itself.

You do it in life, in business and in sports.

You do not pack it in and hope to get it again the next year, that is what losers do.

DD

4. sammy

I saw Baylor's backup quarterback throw bombs last night.

If the receivers get open, Yates should be able to hit them. Give him time in the pocket and we should be ok.

5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Still wouldnt give up what Oakland did

6. sammy

Ya bc that sort of mentality is what the winners (Pats, Steelers, etc) around the league have :rolleyes:

#86 sammy, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

LMAO Tony Robbins emerging again.

8. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

If I'd told you in the offseason that the Texans would finish 9-7 after missing Andre Johnson for six games and losing Matt Schaub, Matt Leinart, Mario Williams, Darryl Sharpton, and Rashad Butler for the entire season, I think most folks would consider that a miracle.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They're more likely to contend next year, with their full complement of draft picks, than they are to win the Super Bowl this year with either a healthy Matt Schaub or an aging Carson Palmer.

I'd trade potential 3-5 year contending window over 1 year of "going for it".

This team needs those picks to continue to improve... and if they do half as well with their picks next year as they did this year, they'll be even more equipped to handle catastrophic injuries.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Heh, learn it, live it baby.

:)

DD

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

Can someone recreate the Texans logo with the mascot in a arm cast and foot cast or maybe just in a wheelchair

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They will be favored against Carolina, Indy, and the Titans (if the game means something)... and the line against Atlanta will probably be a pickem due to the unknown of Yates (and our good defense, at home).

This is a tremendous TEAM... they play great team defense, and the offense is sustainable due to their superior line play and talented RB's.

A far cry of where this team was in the Casserly-Capers days. Had this regime built it from year one, it wouldn't have wasted all those damn extra expansion picks.

13. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

It's impressive how well they have done and I wouldn't have thought they could have done this well if you told me all that before the season. But I also wouldn't have thought the defense would be this good or the schedule would be so soft (@Tampa & Indy much weaker). Since they have 8 wins now, winning JUST one more would be surprising.

14. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I've been saying it since the end of the last year's college football season... TJ Yates was the most underrated QB in the draft.

My prediction for next week? He gets the start and completes 62% of his passes for 225+ yards and 2 TDs. Texans win by 4.

15. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

I sure hope so. I guess the good side is he's young? lol. What's the scouting report on him, is he known for being a decent qb in terms of scrambling/mobility?

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed.

MattL had the bigger contract and was more than capable of being a game manager...a known commodity. (for the most part)..ergo the #2 QB.

But from what I've seen and heard, Yates is going to put us in a better position to win . He will utilize the arsenal assembled around him.....As mogrod pointed out above, he's already shown the ability to make reads and throw down the field....a steal in the 5th.

It will be interesting to see who they bring into the fold now at QB.

Whatever they do, the fate of this 2011 Texans squad rests squarely on our defense.

#96 Plowman, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  17. CCorn

CCorn Member

He beasted it his senior year in college from what I can see, good size. Anyone actually watch him play. Is he mobile? All I saw him do was dink it to Foster today ha.

18. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

I realize it's Bleacher Report, but...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...eel-qb-tj-yates-ever-start-for-houston-texans

Over the course of the last few weeks, few thought that T.J. Yates—the man who almost single-handedly kept the UNC Tar Heels afloat during this past season—would be drafted in the NFL's 2011 draft.

They did not factor in two very important ingredients. T.J. Yates' success on the field, which may have led some to give him one of the highest intangible ratings of any quarterback taken in years. And the fact that Yates played under a similar offensive system at UNC and is very similar to Houston starter Matt Schaub, who has been injured fairly frequently.

With UNC rocked by scandal, without a number of starters—including several that were among the nine drafted by the NFL, who were lost for at least part of the season—and with the pressure to score as much as possible because of a suspect defense that lost many players to suspension, Yates was able to craft eight wins. This includes a win over Tennessee in a bowl game.

In short, Yates was incredible in the face of the greatest adversity any college quarterback faced this year and, perhaps, any other year.

Yates is a winner.

His small-town high school play eventually put him on scholarship with the UNC Tar Heels.

His play at UNC gained him a role as a starter. He kept that role for four years despite the presence of a more-highly-recruited quarterback who challenged him this year for a starting role after a relatively poor junior year as a starter.

Yates holds 37 UNC football records, including career and single-season passing yards.

Texans head coach Gary Kubiak made several comments about his choice of Yates in the fifth round.

"The Texans had the league’s top passing offense in 2009 (291 yards per game) and the No. 4 passing offense last season (259 yards per game). Kubiak says Yates guided an almost identical system in Chapel Hill—another attractive quality."

“This kid is a fine player and had a very solid career in college,” Kubiak said. “Nowadays, we look at some players who have one-year careers. This kid had a nice four-year career and played his best as a senior. I like everything he stands for. We’re very fortunate.”

What Kubiak did not say, and could not say, was whether Yates will ever step in for Houston starter Matt Schaub.

Most will say that Yates will not have a chance to start and finish a Houston Texans game this coming season in the absence of either a Schaub trade (which is highly unlikely given his just-signed contract extension) or injury (which is more likely given his history).

Most said the same thing during Yate's starting role at UNC for four years. Yet, here Yates is, at the final football level, getting his chance to start if he can prove himself again.

In many ways, Yates reminds us of Tom Brady—another low-draft-choice quarterback, taken in the Round 6 of the 2000 NFL Draft. Brady was taken that year, languished for a year including being inactive for most of the games, finally started his first game in his second season and never looked back.

Brady and Yates also look very similar physically and in the pocket.

Both are 6'4" and around 225 pounds. While able to scramble, neither are huge scramblers unless pressed into action, preferring a stable pocket to a moving offense. But what is perhaps the most notable trait, and one that could make a lasting impression on the NFL, is their drive to win and leadership abilities.

Just like Brady, once Yates begins to compete, few are capable of the level of commitment that Yates brings to his position. And few are able to lead like Yates.

Most importantly, few can sustain their drive to succeed over an entire season. Yates can do so, over and over, as he has since his high school days—just another level to conquer.

If you have a bet to lay, bet that Yates will eventually start. And rake your money in at today's odds. Because the more you get to know Yates, the more you may feel the same as I do.

It is more likely that Yates will be the next Brady than a complete failure.

Take it to the bank.

[from May 5, 2011]

19. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Going strictly from what I saw out of him in college:

He has really good mobility in the pocket. He's not a scrambling threat, but he can move around well to stay away from pressure. He's smart, understands the offense (especially considering he ran a very similar offense at North Carolina), and has good accuracy on short-to-intermediate routes.

He doesn't have superstar QB arm strength and he tends to loft the ball in the air too much on his deep throws, though.

Still, I think he's exactly the type of QB the Texans need right now.

20. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Trent Dilfer was just very high on him on ESPN. Compared him to Romo.