1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yates predictions

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Nov 27, 2011.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Calling out the Texans as a team that can only beat cupcakes, despite them beating the Steelers, Titans, hanging with the Saints, and dominating the "cupcakes" (and not losing to them like the Raiders) is the epitome of arguing defensively.

2. Nook

Nook Member

I honestly do not think they would give up a #1 and #2 for Carson at this point, even though they are a Super Bowl calibur team with a good QB under center. The Texans front office seem to be willing to build for the future and keep their picks. Based on the development of the Texans young players, they should have a real shot at the Super Bowl next year.

The Texans are not going to the Super Bowl with Yates this season, and probably were not with Leinart either. Still, they can win 3 more games and finish at 11-5. Maybe they get a bye and/or win a playoff game. Their running game and defense are elite, and you can win close physical games that way.

3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

BetterThanI mentioned that he would be amazed and how "miraculous" it would be if they go 9-7 and I'm saying winning one more to go 9-7 would not be miraculous. That would be disappointing to me, even with our injuries.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The Texans were serious contenders with Schaub, were marginal contenders with Leinart, are a nice story with Yates.

How sucky is that?

DD

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Steelers win was impressive. If you didn't have that you'd be **** in my eyes. So theres that.

Y'all know me, I speak truth 24/7. I don't talk bull****. I troll for the purpose of knowledge.

The Texans schedule is cupcakes. Carolina is the worst defense in the league. Jacksonville, Tennessee... division games, anything can happen.

My guess is you'll get soundly beaten by Atlanta and Cinci, win 2 of the other games and finish 10-6.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And yet the Raiders can't do the same against an even worse Chiefs team at home?

The Texans, as a team, are more prepared to deal with adversity than any other team in the playoffs. Their defense will keep them in games, regardless of the opponent, and they will have a shot at winning their home playoff games, regardless of the opponent.

I'd be more worried about losing a tie-breaker agains the Tebow-led Broncos.

7. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

It would be similar to the Rockets offering the 14th pick and some young players like Patterson and Lee for Carmelo last year, fully knowing he would bolt to NY after the season was over.

Palmer ain't gonna be around much longer and Campbell didn't even have a career much less, season ending injury.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Very sucky.

Raiders got lucky they were able to nab Palmer to salvage their season, but the price was steep.

9. DaDakota

I don't think it was steep, a good number of draft picks bust out, they got a danged good QB in a year in which they might contend.

Sometimes you got to take advantage of the opportunites when they are before you.

DD

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

Ya they gave away a kings ransom to lose first round in the playoffs. Great franchise. We might lose first round but we'll just come back a contender next year while Oakland loses their rental :).

11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Rude awakening like the Raiders spending two first round picks for Carson Palmer? You really think the Raiders are going anywhere? Good luck with that.

12. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

NFL draft picks are more valuable than you are aknowledging. The Texans alone shored up their front 7 defense this year with their first and second round picks.

I would hate to give up a potential Watt-Reed combo for an aging QB in a year where the Raiders have less than a 10% chance of winning the conference over Baltimore, New England, or Pittsburgh. Hell, they may not even win their own division.

14. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

We're only in the position we are this season bc of our draft. Namely, Watt and Brooks Reed. I like the idea of plugging in young eyes. That's the best vision for the franchise in the long-term.

I would much rather draft a QB in the first round over giving up a pick for a rental. If I had to give up picks, it would be for players like Barkley or RG III. It's wasn't a rental per se for the Raiders but a trade for Carson would have been for us.

16. DaDakota

You don't get those players at the end of the first round which is where we will be drafting and so will the Raiders.

You and I are opposites, you are so risk averse...lol....and I am just the opposite, take the shots.

DD

17. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

We picked Reed in the second round?

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yes we did. Getting a player of Reed and Barwin's caliber can happen late in the first round.

19. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I know we did, I was just pointing out DD's idiocy.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yes you do.

Again, this isn't the freaking NBA. First and second round picks in the NFL are expected to be everyday starting players in this league. Not role players, bench players, but bonafied starters. Its equivalent to a top 5 lottery pick in the NBA (if you extrapolate that the NBA only has 2 rounds, while the NFL has 6... their first three rounds are pretty damn important).

You don't give that up for an aging QB that guarantees nothing this season, and for seasons to come.