1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yates gets LIFE.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by coma, Mar 15, 2002.

1. treeman

treeman Member

Rocket River:

What the hell are you talking about? She's not getting the death penalty because she's white? How f*ing ridiculous... :rolleyes:

Can you say "mitigating factors"?

1) She is not at risk of committing this crime again.

2) No prior criminal history.

3) She's mentally ill.

Any one of these alone might not be enough to get her life instead of death. Taken together, they are compelling reasons not to give her death. Her race is *irrelevant*.

She is poor, BTW. Was, that is...

I will certainly agree that on average, whites are more likely to get life than blacks, and in some (very few, as the juries are typically diverse) cases race may influence that, but on the whole it is the mitigating factors or lack thereof - not race - that determines the penalty.

Not every issue is a race issue, RR.

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

You did see the end of that movie, right? The kid was innocent.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I agree. In my opinion, the death penalty should be almost non-existent throughout the world. There are extremely rare cases (none in any industrialized nation), where the death penalty should be enacted. It should only be in those areas where it is next to impossible to ensure that a killer can be kept behind bars and away from society. It is not our choice to make as to who lives and who dies.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Stats like that are a waste of time. I am sure that the people that the USA are executing deserve it.

DD

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

And I thought Blind Faith was just a band from the 70's! I'm sure that every single person in the US was given a fair and objective trial and not one innocent person has been executed. I'm SURE of it.

;)

Bobrek: Good post. I agree completely.

6. DaDakota

Gosh Jeff, we finally agree on this matter.

I mean a fair trial...a ton of appeals...and then if all of that fails...the needle.

Yep, sounds fair to me.

I believe the system works, guess since I don't agree with you or your babes views on this matter, then I must be led by blind faith.

Sorry, I just believe in capital punishment for the most heinous of crimes.

DaDakota

7. BullRider

BullRider Member

some one kills 5 children and receives free room board and 3 square meals a day 4 life. the children got the death penalty. :(

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Da: First off, she's my wife, not my "babe."

Second, I'm not disagreeing with your support of the death penalty. You should have whatever view you like. What I'm saying is that you readily accept that no innocent person ever manages to make it to death row yet there have been at least 5 cases LAST YEAR where those on death row were exonerated after serving years for crimes they didn't commit.

We won't agree on the death penalty and that's fine. That is a matter of choice. But, even those who support it can't possibly think that the process is always fair.

I'm curious as to how you came to the conclusion that government cannot be trusted with our money but they can be trusted with the lives of civilians.

9. DaDakota

Jeff,

Did any of those 5 die ?

As for trust of the government, no, I don't trust it at all, but I do believe that our system is better then any other.

As for the babe comment, I guess that sounds derogatory, but was not meant as such.

I was more commenting on the "Who do you look like" thread where she said she looked like the sexy girl on "Sex in the city"

Thus the babe comment.....

Can't a girl be a babe, and your wife? I know mine is...

:)

DaDakota

10. Mrs. JB

Mrs. JB Member

Ohhhhhhh....it was a compliment....how could I have possibly misread that?

Congrats on your wife by the way. You must be proud.

:)

11. DaDakota

Mrs. JB,

Sometimes my fingers type faster then my brain works...it is a male thing you know......

No offense meant..believe me.....but if you say you aren't a babe, then that is good enough for me.

:D

DaDakota

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Does that really matter? I remember one man who spent 15 years on death row. That's 15 years of his freedom. His son was a toddler when he went in and an adult when he got out.

But, if you want death, there was a case a couple of years ago that got some headlines where a man was put to death for a capital murder in Illinois. About a year after his death, the real killer came forward and DNA testing proved that he was the actual killer not the man who was executed. This was one of the key test cases for Illinois considering implementation of a moratorium on the death penalty in that state.

I won't argue with you on that, but there is always room for improvement. The very fact that we are keeping company with Iran, Saudi Arabia and China when it comes to this issue should be cause for concern alone.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

as hard as it is sometimes to come to grips with victims left dead and murderers left to live (even if it is in prison)...in my view, if the system puts to death even one innocent man or woman, then it needs to be reworked.