1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yardbarker-What might a Rockets overhaul look like this summer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clips/Roxfan, May 26, 2019.

1. biff17

biff17 Member

Or that he said Rajon Rondo and Derick Rose were not ball dominate guards and would fit better than Paul.

rockets13champs likes this.
  2. biff17

biff17 Member

So who runs the offense when Harden is not on the floor?

One of the strength of the team was having plus level pg play on the 2nd unit Rivers is not a playmaker.

saleem likes this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree with this, Capela can play well when the P/R is not defended properly. GS has the better of him on every single occasion. His young age and contract makes him a tradeable asset.

BaselineFade likes this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Having that plus level PG play on the second unit is a $40m luxury.

Rivers (or someone comparable) can initiate the offense while Harden sits …. and having that plus level wing (3/4) makes his job easier.

I think CP3 is a great player , I just don't think he's the "Ideal Fit" or use of resources when he has to have the ball in his hands to be effective and Harden is going to have the ball in his hands the vast majority of the game.

So we're talking about the luxury of CP3 running the offense for 10 minutes a game for $40m …. while Harden is putting in 36+ minutes per for the same type of money. You really aren't getting your moneys worth from CP3 when he's paired with Harden.

Add to that his decline statistically almost across the board and his defensive issues …. you are better off with a star player who better compliments Harden , not one that gets in his way.

Bo6 and csnerd84 like this.
  5. ksny15

ksny15 Member

There isn't any realistic scenario where we get better this off season. If anything we will be substantially worse. We lost all of our defensive coaches and we will probably lose Rivers too. The end of Hardens prime could get rough

6. tc0330

tc0330 Member

the only hail mary i see for cp3 to suns is we somehow get the 6th overall pick then flip it to pelicans with capela to draft zion.

7. biff17

biff17 Member

Rivers and nobody comparable can initiate a plus level offense and Paul is a net negative contract that does not give you salary cap relief because they would have to take salary back.

How do you get this plus wing?

Sounds like you are trying to construct a roster with little regards for actual salary cap ramifications.

The fact that you think Rivers can initiate an offense anytime on a winning team speaks volumes when has he ever done it?

Rivers has a career 2 to 1 assist turnovers ratio.

This is about keeping Paul, I agree his production can be had much cheaper Austin or a comparable player is not the answer.

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

/end thread.

9. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

One can only wish Phoenix is dumb enough to take on CP3's contract... altho they probably wouldnt care either way. It's better to acquire an all-time great than to waste another 3 years tanking.

Bo6 likes this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Man, even though i don't think anything similar is going to happen, if there's a team dumb enough to do that i think it's actually Phoenix.

11. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I think Harden has at least 3 more years at this MVP-level elite play and 2 additional at an all-star caliber performance.

We will still be able to compete this year but with aims at assembling our "best shot" the following. We will NOT win next year as assembled so we need to do SOMETHING. The only realistically way we can compete in Harden's window is getting out of Cp3's contract.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think we are stuck

Our best hope is after CP3 ..,, and James taking a heavy discount on his next contract while still being a top 20 caliber player

13. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Agree...but think we should do it with next year in mind as well.

I'm not sure Harden can continue playing at this level for three more years...need to take full advantage of every year we can.

14. Stepping Razor

Agreed, we need to make moves and go all in this year. Harden is durable, but is being run to the ground. We have to pounce now, or have a McGrady/Yao situation (physical breakdown when the team is ready to compete for a chip)

15. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Soooo the Rockets give up BUM CP3...get expiring good players in return...and then turn around ask for a draft comp?

yea... GTFO.

16. MichaelSpartan

Or Morey can really roll the dice and trade Chris Paul and Isaiah Hartenstein to the Celtics for Gordon Hayward and Aron Baynes.

At minimal Hayward can be a secondary ball handler and at best an alpha Chandler Parsons glue guy. And he has >1 year under contract than Paul.

We'll more or less be in the same boat.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Ah but there is …. Assuming Tilman is prepared to go deep into the tax.

Shumpert can make up to $16.5m …. Give him a one year with a team option.

GG can earn up to $9.6m …. Give him a one year with a team option (he keeps his bird rights).

Both are trade eligible December 15th …. you can package their expiring contracts with other assets to pull in a plus player from a team looking to shed salary.

Then you still have the T-MLE to play with in the offseason.

You don't get better out of the gate but you get better in time to get tuned up for the playoffs - post Dec 15 up to the trade deadline.

18. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I just want one of the Suns SFs (Josh Jackson, TJ Warren, or Kelly Oubre).... They aren't using them right...