1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao's trade value: What is it?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jopatmc, Dec 13, 2010.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It was recorded that in 2008 Yao brought in around 52 Million to the Rockets from televison deals in China and endorsements. That doesnt include the inpact he has on Chinese Americans financial spenditures on the team on tickets, apparel, etc...

Now, the only catch here is Yao hasn't been playing, which will drastically effect the profits that Les Alexander takes home from Yao. When healthy, Yao essentially pays for the whole party for Les to own the Rockets in profit.

Now, all that I ask for when you make up ridiculous trades for him that will never happen is that you put yourself in Les Alexander's shoes. If Yao even has a chance at playing, he wont be easy to let go for anything less than Lebron James.

If I am Les, I try and resign him next year at a minimum if he decides he doesnt want to retire just yet. If he wants a max deal again and another GM doesnt care about winning then they might pay that money for him, or maybe not.

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

Biz aside, until his surgically repaired knees break down again, this is a huge gamble. Big Z was as injury prone as Yao and played limited game after the same type surgery. Z is still playing. Yao's going to be a force just by his size and skill. He is slow to begin with, so I am not sure how big of impact the surgery is to his career at his point. Don't take it for granted, a big man like Yao is hard to find.

I don't think he will sign a max contract w us. He is a loyal guy, he has made more money than he knows what to do with. He feels guilty for all the missed time. If you trade him, not likely you will get anything valuable in return as many have pointed out already.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

By who? That figure is way out of whack according to most known NBA economics.

And seems incredibly dubious, since apparel and mrechandise sales are pooled and split evenly among the teams, in other words, a Yao jersey, a LeBron jersey - it's the same amount of money for the Rockets either way (unless it's being sold from the Rockets shop in whch case they get an additonal small markup, but that's not really relevant).

Likewise, NBA teams keep all ticket sales etc from their home arena - in other words, if (and remember this hasn't been th case in a LONG time) the Rockets get a sellout on the road due to Yao - the Rockets get precisely zero additional $$$ from that.

Likewise, the Rockets don't have a separate TV deal with China that pays them more. The only thing unique that the Rockets get is more sign-board advertising, the value-add on this is nowhere near $52 mm, the overall revenue from signage is in the millions.

4. Precision340

Precision340 Member

His trade value in return for good players is not that great imo... unless the team only wants to market him as a cash cow.. because he still will generate money for any owner he plays for.. but as a player, I hate to say it but, he's done.. even if he comes back this year, his minutes will be limited and sooner or later his body is going to break down again... I pray that he proves me wrong because I'm really rooting not only for our Rox, but for Yao as well!!

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I think it's coming from here...

http://www.articlefield.com/105457/yao-mings-commercial-value-over-jordan/

I believe the 52 million is his commerical value and what he recieves annually but don't believe it is what the team actually makes off him however could be wrong I guess.

6. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Why do other teams need Yao ?

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

we have 3 expiring contracts (battier,jeffries,Yao). Where is the value being offered for any of these scrubs ass *****s?

and dont tell me to wait before the deadline

8. changwiz

changwiz Member

Put loyalty issue aside and assume Yao can still play so he won't retire after this season, I think he does have plenty of options after his contract is up. Yes, I agree with you on this. Some low end teams would take him delightfully especially those with a large market, if so called "cash cow" value is not exaggerated. They may even offer him a big certainly not max contract. Or Yao can choose to go fight for his championship dream and sign with a contender as a role player. I don't see heats will turn him down if he's willing to sign with them for MLE.

So if rockets' management group ever thought about keeping Yao, they should try every means to relieve his anxiety, unless they already made their mind to give up and rebuild, this would explain why they purposely hold yao back like they did to T-mac last year.

9. Prince

Prince Member

Let him play Rick and we'll answer this thread.

10. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i know it wasn't about his play, that was my point to all those people talking about his worth as a player. his value comes from being an expiring.

11. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I agree fully with Jopatmc and MadMax, they speak the truth. Yao does have good trade value. However, I would still think Morey/Les would wait until the trade deadline to do this deal, if there was any chance at all of it being done. He would need to be showcased; otherwise, teams would be too suspicious if we put him on the market while he was still out injured.

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

golden state, chicago, and NY have very large asian populations. they all tried trading for the right to draft yao.

today i don't think chicago would be interested, and the knicks have nothing worth trading for (that they would actually give up). that leaves the nets and the warriors as the most likely to be very interested.

i can tell you from first hand knowledge that the nets will do anything to put fans in seats. maybe they are willing to upgrade from lopez to yao. prokhorov said they want to compete for a championship within 3-5 years. yao for lopez is definitely a win now move that will also help put fans in seats if nothing else. as a rocket fan i like this trade because brook is a solid replacement for yao. he's young and durable.

as for the warriors. they just invested in david lee, and are committed to building around curry. i think the interest they would have in yao would be as an expiring contract that can also sell tickets. this kind of move has become very copular in the nba lately. think iverson to detroit for billups, tmac to NY, etc... they might want to part with biedrins and ellis' contracts. the rockets might have little interest in another injury prone center like biedrins, or another guard like ellis, but monta would be the best player on the team. being that its a guards league and this guy can really score the ball the rockets might be interested.

overall, i think yao to the nets makes the most sense for both teams. of course, this is in a fairy tale world were the rockets would actually even think about trading yao. it will never happen, but its fun to day dream.

13. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

And Les could make up for what he loses from the Chinese market from what he gains from the Cuban market.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Assuming Yao can play is what has gotten us stuck in neutral, I will not assume he can do anything.

I will assume that he will be injured for a good portion of the season and is not someone you can build around, until he goes a year or more without any issues...

DD

15. solid

solid Contributing Member

Not nearly as high as many fans on this board think it is. Players only have value when they play. Ask Penny Hardaway.

16. RX2012

RX2012 Member

thank you. stop waisting ur time folks.

17. dreamrockets

dreamrockets Member

Bearing another big injury, Yao's next contract will worth more than 8M/year. Book it. Financially, Yao, play or not, could bring to an owner that much easily.
    If Rockets does't sign him, he will go to a contender team for something like 9M/year for 3 years with the 3rd year a team option (This is better than 5M/year for 5 years with fans b****ing about the length of the contract).
    Here are the options:
    Lakers, depends on Bynum's health
    Knicks, Curry's contract will be gone, add Anthony and Yao!
    OKC, They need inside presence to be a true contender.
    Portland, well, they are going nowhere anyway, why not gamble?

18. dreamrockets

dreamrockets Member

Because of this, the teams that the OP listed have no chance. Because Yao will not resign with those teams. OK, maybe Atlanta and Philly. Atlanta because they may have some chance contending. Philly because their main objective is to get rid of Brand's contract.

19. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Trade Yao for Curry

20. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

very simple guys...

1 billion people in china and second biggest economy...

Have Yao play rockets for life...

you have a massive fan base in china as people will support the rockets as loyalty is important in china.

who would these chinese companies / billionaires support in the nba - any team Yao is on !!!