1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao's response to the renew contract question in 2010

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by boby, Feb 12, 2009.

1. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

if you read the full article he gave a pretty clear answer..he wants to finish his career in HOuston...he said Houston is home"..why change?"...but the team has to surround him with talent....
    he gave more of a direct answer than most other athletes in his position...
    I'm pretty sure he will stay a rocket...I HOPE

2. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

I would still build around Yao if he wants to stay. The chance to get a player better than Yao to build a team around is not that great. Look around the NBA, it's more than likely you will have to rebuild team around a player like a young Steve Francis, and you may have to go through that circle 2 or 3 times if you are not lucky.

3. ibm

ibm Member

barring injuries, i bet he'd still be. his game is not based on athleticism anyway.

but of course, if things change, then the decision changes, too.

same concerns go to other free agents that year as well.

4. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

you are not very bright to say the least...you say he is the best center in the league but you don't want to resign him...thats not contradicting....I would say much more to you but its not worth my time...

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

if lebron and wade express interest here, you better believe les will let yao go, with also tracy's expiring contract.

bam, 2 superstars in one summer haha. i wish. :(

when yao's 30, i don't think yao will deserve the max. but les will offer it to him unless the above scenario happens.

just gotta pray for a big move in 2010.

6. t_mac1

yao will retire a rocket. les will make sure of it, barring some miracle like lebron coming here.

7. ibm

ibm Member

the only one in 2010 f/a market that sets distance with others is lebron (barring injuries, of course). all others, like yao and wade, are one notch below imo. and wade will fade down the road as wear and tear accumulates. some like bosh, amare would be further down.

knowing lebron, who has always sets making more money as his first goal, i suspect he will remain a cavalier since that's where he gets the most money. why would he go to nyc? he's getting all the exposure he can possibly get right now in cleveland anyway.

that's why i say 2010 will most likely be a fool's gold for most teams.

8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Well, even if he's not a max player he will get max money...from someone. We could end up getting nothing from him.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think the Rockets have been burned too much in recent years making decisions "barring injuries". It's time to take that into account.

10. t_mac1

then we have the capspace to sign anybody (up to 2 superstars) for the next few years. if we miss out 2010, i'm sure there are other emerging superstars in the next few years.

it's not like signing yao in 2010 guarantees a championship. it hasn't so far.

11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

There's no incentive for a superstar to sign here. More than likely the superstars will sign with their current team or go to one where they feel they're an instant title contender. Bad teams (which we would be w/o Yao, Tracy, and Artest) don't get superstars through free agency. We would more than likely end up overpaying a couple really good players.

This is one of the reasons I think it would be smart to trade Yao for Chris Bosh (who is better than Yao was at that age, and wants out of Toronto).

12. ibm

ibm Member

your first paragraph was really good assessment. but the second... wow.

chris bosh? who is chris bosh?

13. t_mac1

not if you dangle money in front of them. if we don't resign yao, you know how much cash we'll have?

with morey, i don't think we'll just overpay good players (like orlando did with rashard or things like that). morey will sit still until he'll land a great player or 2.

i'm sure morey has developed a good reputation around this league. i'm sure if he can talk to a superstar, he'll be able to go a long way.

again, money comes first when you're a young superstar. sure signing lebron or wade are not likely b/c they would get more money from their current teams and those teams are good/decent.

i don't know what kind of talent will develop in 2-3 years. i really don't know. but i do know if we have a HUGE cap space, with morey, we'll do BIG things.

it's not like our franchise is known for sucking. we're known for always being competitive. if a superstar comes here, he'll know this team will do everything necessary to win.

14. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

good, keep waiting for "other emerging superstars".

15. t_mac1

chris bosh at the age of 24 may not be better than yao. but 26? 27?

he's putting up 23, 10, on 50% shooting. and he's on a bad team. but he's shown he can improve (as he has every year).

it's like telling orlando not to sign tracy to the max when he was simply a 15ppg player in toronto?

bosh still has a lot of room to develop and potential. and he's already scary good.

16. t_mac1

usually championship teams do.

17. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

please back to the earth. what makes you think all super stars will come to houston? money? do you know the salary cap and max contract. the player current team can offer more than other teams. there are a couple cities that have more potential on endorsement than houston. you can tons of money but you might not be able to get whatever you want.

keeping yao is the most reasonable thing to do. we can't just have one good player to expect rox will win titles.

18. ibm

ibm Member

many, say rudy gay, is putting up good numbers on a bad team. is he as good as those in the 2010 f/a's?

and you have a lot of reasoning to do with your last assessment. scary good? who?

19. t_mac1

23, 10, 50% shooting at the age of 24 with no signs of injury and seemingly improve every year?

rudy gay is putting up "good" numbers. i'm talking about great numbers. he's putting up 18ppg on 45% shooting on a bad team. if he was putting up 27-28 ppg on 45-46%, it's a different story.

20. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

It will be stupid for Yao to resign with the Rockets in 2010 if the talents are not there. If he has a chance to get max contract somewhere else and play with a more talented roster contending for a Championship....man i'll be jetting too!!!