1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao's non-playing time at the All-Star game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GranvilleWaders, Feb 17, 2008.

1. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

uhh...yeah, it pretty much is entertaining to everyone in an All-Star game

Yao even likes watching all the dunks and alley-oops from the bench

2. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

frustrated to see yet again Yao not playing ? why? who cares?

3. conquistador#11

Let's just be happy that the festivities are over and that there were no sightings of Pac- man jones. Just one more day, yeay!!

4. TheParrotIsNoMo

It's a freaking all star game... It's pointless and for entertainment value only... His objective is playing for the Rockets and winning a championship...

5. NO NAME

NO NAME Member

I miss t-mac..............

6. dreaming

dreaming Member

yeah i thought this was pretty BS as well, as a starter he should get more playing time than the others, theres a reason why we didnt vote for the guys on the bench. Yao played the least minutes on the west squad

7. FFz

FFz Member

im guessing yao prob wanted the rest..

8. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

yeah in past all star games i would have been a bit dissapointed but i realize that it neither side gains any type of advantage of winning and its really just a show for the fans to see. i'm actually quite relieved that Yao didn't play alot that just reduces the chances of him getting injured and what not. seeing ray allen make those three's consecutively was pretty cool but still was kinda sad to see the west lose to the east.. glad basketball is a team sport :)

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

the less time the better, the game is complete meaningless and he needs a little rest.

plus he's not exactly built for this kind of game.

10. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

I don't think Yao cared, he looked like he was out there just to have fun. I'm glad to see that he enjoyed himself, he needed the time off.

11. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Well in a post-game chat of him with reporter from Sohu.com, he said he had enjoyed the All Stars Week-end, and had had sufficient rest.

http://sports.sohu.com/20080218/n255214866.shtml

But he had bigger things in mind to do, and that is the game with Cleveland Cavaliers on Tuesday. Immediately right after the NBA All Stars Game, he took a late night flight and flew out of New Orleans directly to Cleveland (and the Rockets will arrive Cleveland on the 18th, with a team practice scheduled in the evening).

He said: "I could not wait any longer, and want to rejoin my team as soon as possibly I can. There will be a team practice tomorrow. We have more serious assignments/mission to deal with. I have to get myself well-prepared. I had a few of these running up and down the court tonight; I felt I had had sufficient rest over these few days but I found some problems with my conditioning. As there will be a team practice tomorrow, all I need is some re-adjustment, and I don't think it will be a big problem."

To him, he thought to continue winning and lead the Houston Rockets into the playoff is the most important mission (rather than the NBA All Stars Game). He said: "I'm feeling the pressure. Even though we had kept on winning, but so did the other teams (currently placed ahead of us in Western Conference). Therefore we need to keep the current momentum and our winning streak."

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Still the fact that yao got 13 minutes - the lowest of any guy on the squad by a significant margin is just b.s.

give him at least 18, what's up with 13 minutes?

I'm not happy about that - and it's a slight. shame on byron russell. what a dope-head.

13. abc2007

abc2007 Member

If the rockets is the no.1 seed before the allstar break next season, coach A will be the wc allstar coach. Then, Yao will probably play more mins because he needs to show support to his coach. ;)

14. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

WHO is Byron Russell?? :rolleyes:

I think you mean Bryon Scott. What was he supposed to do? Yao Ming himself specifically asked to play not more than 10 minutes.

Read what I and other posters posted before complaining about low play minutes for Big Yao.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

shame on byron russell, for being such a second tier player for the jazz that he cost yao PT in the all-star game.

16. mzymmm

mzymmm Rookie

I think Yao did the right thing, since Tracy was not in the ASG. I am looking forward to the playoffs. Our team this year has been without major injuries, and I think we are now concentrated and will be gaining momentum from now on.

17. levintblack

levintblack Contributing Member

Yeah watching Yao sprint the length of the court seeing him get there just in time to turn and sprint the other way is great. Let's face it an All-Star game is a fast break non-stop game and he can't do anything on a fast break. He's a liability in n all-star game. That's not saying he's bad h's just not made for one of these games. It would be like Phoenix trading Amare for him and stil running the same offense. Plus Adelman has over played him this season so the more rest he can get the better. It was funny to watch him run the pick and roll and no one use it. He would go pick someone and roll and his teammate would just ignore him.

18. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

1. because he's shaq. in his own words, he's earned his respect. yao doesn't command the same amount of respect from his fellow all stars and coaches. 2. shaq's a power dunker and him operating in the low post was entertaining.

19. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

atleast Yao got to rest more :)

20. yaorta

yaorta Member

he never feel fit in all star game, actually people would rather see dunks, fast moves, acrobatics, which are not in yao's basketball philosiphy, that's why he never plays much time in all star, and he knows there're people who want to show more than he does, so why not let those on court?