1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the EAST FINALS Game 2 as Tatum and the Celtics host Haliburton and the Pacers. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Yao was billed as a Temendous passer, What happened?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zacatecas, May 28, 2007.

1. Hmm

Hmm Member

Adelman is not Rudy.. Rudy's offense = JVG's offense without the tight leash. Meaning, ISO the best players on the team and surround with jump shooters.

Adelman's offense = Mix it up, be unpredictable. Evaluate individual player's strengths and weaknesses, construct appropriate system to enhance the prior to it's max and avoid the latter completely. Apply specific instruction of offensive angles and strategies for easier buckets to the extent of each individual player's learning ability and comfort, without minimizing their contribution to the team in total.

If he believes Yao has "great hands" useful enough for whatever he has intended for him... I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.. more so than Rudy..

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think you need to be a fancy passer like Jason Williams, Chris Webber, or Vlade Divacs to do well in the Adelman system.

I remember when Kenny Thomas played some pretty big minutes for Adelman, he racked up a decent amount of assists, too. Brad Miller, also, averaged something like 2.0 and 2.6 assists per game (playing 31 mpg) over his two seasons prior to being traded to SAC, and his assists (and assists per minute) saw a decent bump.

I think Yao is at least as competent as Kenny Thomas and Brad Miller as far as functioning in the high post goes.

3. g1184

g1184 Member

+

+

= Answer.

Adelman made Brad Miller an All-Star, I can't wait to see how Yao and T-Mac respond to his system.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Temendous passer? He may very well be what ever that is. :p

His inability to be a great passer is due to the fact that the game moves to fast for him. He is a slow, methodical player and that is also why he is turnover prone, an average defender at best, and doesn't rebound well.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

he is a good passer, but why do we want him passing? he is our most consistent scorer..

6. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Because we would like the Rox to do better than they have been.

7. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

He wasn't slow before he broke his leg. He can pass out of the high post to cutters when he draws defenses to him. Something that JVG didnt implement in his offenses. Under Adelman I suspect that now and then Yao will play the high post and pass to the cutter or cut down to the basket himself once he passes off. If he draws defenses to him in the low block he passes out to the perimeter players and there's nothing wrong with that.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

couple of points. 1, you have to have actually cutters. outside of snyder they rockets dont cut well. 2, yao will always be 'slow' in comparison to other nba players. 3..with yao at the high post, i dont think teams will be rushing the double teams over to him as much as they will with yao on the low block

9. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

NOW AND THEN I SAID NOW AND THEN! Of course he wouldn't be effective if he played the high post all the time. But switiching things up will throw the defending team off. Just like switching things up on defense throws the offensive team off.

10. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

By the way, every team can have cutters. That Princeton team of Carrils sucked on athletic talent but they killed ya with backdoor cuts. Most of basketball is how well you move without the ball. A cutter is not someone who dribbles and penetrates like Snyder or Iverson.

IT"S THE SYSTEM!

JVG's system didn't exactly espouse a motion offense with cutters and screeners. We basically ran the same pick and rolls and kickout plays over and over.

11. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

a team can have cutters, but that doesnt mean they do have cutters.

part of cutting is also being able to finish, which not many on this team do very well.

12. Pringles

Pringles Member

battier and luther are decent cutters, so is hayes. several time in the preseason and the begining of the season i've seen luther give and go with yao. snyder did that too. battier has very high basketball iq, to know when to cut, and i'm sure with rick, he'll only get smarter. like bexcellent said, switch things up with yao, then they won't know when to double team or to single cover yao. that was the problem with jvg, as you could tell in the golden state warriors game. they would double team every single time, and we had no answer. if we have kept switching, warriors, (a low-iq team) would have been lost, and had no answer for yao.

13. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

yeah, battier is a decent cutter as well as luther...but 'decent' isnt good. Plus, like i mentioned, cutting is one thing finishing is another. battier and luther dont particularly finish very well. hayes is also decent, but he doesnt finish particularly well either.

But thats 3 guys who are decent,not good and i dont think decent will cut it. To think yao at the high post, with those same 3 guys around him 'cutting' is going to be some great potent offense then i think they are sorely mistaken and just wishful thinking. more is needed

snyder is a very good cutter, but like mentioned one has to be able to read the defense and think out there on the court...not snyders strong point. Plus, one can stay off of snyder on defense b/c he wont hurt you with his shot, thus making cutting more difficult

14. declan32001

declan32001 Member

It's amazing how you consistently look through the lens of JVG's mouth. JVG has always made adjustments, but he's always been honest about what his offensive/defensive schemes are.

And he criticizes players' talents that don't fit his mold. I'll wait until next season to watch as you trash Snyder, V-Span and Novak because I really like the odds that one or two of them were ready to play.

Snyder can't read defenses? Yeah, right. Sometimes players don't need to be afraid of the decisions they make, and sometimes coaches let T-Mac walk around in a haze and jack-up 24' shots.

But nothing was ever wrong about JVG's tenure. And Adleman is going to verify your tripe. Good times for you until November. Enjoy it.