1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao should use his turn-around jumpers more aginst big defenders

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J-Wolf, Dec 9, 2008.

Tags:
  1. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

IMHO, Yao should use more of his jumpers against big strong defenders like Marc Gasol. He couldn’t get close to the basket because of Gasol’s weight and strength. Even when he did, he lost his balance / strengths to shoot lay up accurately. He's got blocked so many times when he's tired. Yao’s turn-around jumpers are virtually unblockable. If Yao can perfect that jumper, it can become his signature / killer move which he lacks.

Duncan has that kiss-the-glass shot, why can’t Yao?

2. longrangesniper

WHERE HAS HIS TURNAROUND JUMPER GONE?

I don't think I've seen him use it ONCE this season....it use to be a go-to reliable move.

I've seen it less and less and less last season to now? what gives? he shot a high %, and can get a shot off much easier.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

um i don't think so. that's a low % shot for him.

v. utah 2 years ago, he couldn't get position v. okur so he used that shot a lot. and you get the reason why utah didn't even need to double him. he ended up shooting 43% for the series.

just man up and get position. there's no reason these guys are stronger than yao and push him out of position.

4. longrangesniper

I'm not saying he should use it every possession.... he shot a low % b/c it was predictable during that series. He should at least use it some of the time

5. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I was thinking about the same, his jumper IS GONE. He doesn't use it at all...the question is why?

6. t_mac1

but like the OP said, if he can't get consistent position v. these guys, he'll shoot that a lot and it'll become predictable.

it's all about position with yao. if he gets deep position, he's nearly unstoppable with that mini-hook shot and his variety of quick moves.

he gets outside of 8-10 ft, just pass the ball.

7. ShadowProphet

ShadowProphet Member

not to mention just facing up and shooting on the low block. i remember jvg yelling for yao just to face up durring a game. i havent seen him do much of that either.

8. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

The problem is that Yao lacks the explosiveness to efficiently "man up and get position". He uses so much energy fight for positions, as a result he loses his steadiness when he finally gets the ball.

Yao definitely needs to mix it up a lot more. Now he is too predictable. If he shoots that jumper well, layups will become easier because his fakes will work a lot better. Also, the jumper is a good energy-conservative move and good for morale. Remember that famous 'you can't fxxxing stop me' line?

9. redao

redao Member

The turn-around jumper will make an already soft Yao softer. Also Yao could not even hit them at 30%. why bother?

10. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Yeah, it sure did make Dream soft when he was hitting those baseline fadaways.

11. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

He could get the ball because Gasol front him. And when he finnaly got the ball he back him but the double team quickly. And yes he got blocked to times, the 2 time right in his arms. One in a face up jumper where you are not supposed touch his arms and in a incredible hack that the refs like usual let it go.

Gasol don't have the strength he just flop like a mofo and when his flopping he is hacking and grabbing and refs don't call because it look like Gasol is the want getting foul with his hair flying everywhere. It remains me of Okur and Oberto.

12. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Fixed

13. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Yao needs to bully people instead of being bullied into taking fadeaways.
    His game shouldn't resemble the Dreams because he's too slow compared to him. He should model his game after Shaq and use his size.

14. HoustonFan4Life

Yao is not Dream or Shaq. He is what he is. He's not quick, strong or athletic. In order to be effective he needs to mix it up with post ups and a few jumpers. He needs to keep the defense guessing that way he can get them to go for his fakes and catch them leaning.

15. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

Do you remember the portland game? We almost won it because of Yao's turnaround jumper.

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

That was the pacers game on TNT two seasons ago. Yao was getting the ball down low, but was turning the ball over every time he made a made a move. Eventually, JVG just told him to face up and shoot and Yao dominated in the end. I don't think that's something Yao should rely on every game, though.

17. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

Refs were not helping for sure last night. Lots of them have been haters all along.

Fronting is something Yao could use some help from the coaching staff and teammates. Passing needs to be perfect to beat fronting, and they need to penetrate more.

Yao sometimes waits too long before makes a move. And he over-dribbles often. He should never dibble more than once.

18. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

If Luther Head is in the game, I'd front Yao ALL THE TIME. Just saying....

19. t_mac1

yes, u expect him to make it consistently? that was a desperation shot.

it's like should roy take those shots at the end of the game all the time?

we just need to find ways to get yao in good position where he simply either does his patented hook shot or take one dribble and attack. anything more, yao's not that good.

20. eckostylez

eckostylez Member

Exactly.

It's something Yao has to perfect. Relying on a slow hook won't help when there's real competition. He has to learn to play his opponent instead of just trying to get towards to goal and throwing the ball at the basket.