1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao said "explosion might be coming in these couple days"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jon, Jan 28, 2004.

1. oliver_67

oliver_67 Member

Another article by Yangyi talking about the Miami heat game:

http://sports.sohu.com/2004/01/28/08/news218790800.shtml

A couple of excerpts from the article:

When Yao got the offensive board and made the dunk in the mid of the 4th quarter, he saw the score (70:85) and knew that it was likely over. 20 seconds later JVG put Padgett on the court.

Yao asked Ewing: "Did I do sth wrong on the court?"

Ewing: "No."

Yao: "When you were playing, could you dominate if you did not have enough support?"

Ewing: "No."

The day when the Rockets played Orlando, Professor Hadgett (sp?) from Yao's team called him from Chicago and told him that he had to shoot over 10 times a game. According to the stats, if Yao shoots less than 10 times a game, the Rockets are in trouble.

Yao felt that even the Heat was doubling him, it did not affect his shooting percentage. Yao said that when he got the ball down low, he went one on one against Grant 5 times and made 4 baskets. Later, Yao told Yangyi:" Now I am very aggressive at getting positions (inside). But I could not get the ball! Originally my teammates wanted to pass me the ball, but they were too hesitant and lost the opportunity. We could not make the pass at the right time and couldnot catch the opportunity. Then our outside jumpers were off, and their zone got tighter and tighter. As such, our guards tried to penetrate, but was not able to shoot at a higher percentage. Then I thought that it was over."

2. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

This to me was the lone bright spot of the Heat game. There was one possession when Yao had good position in the low post. The double came, he got the ball anyway. Rather than kick it out, like he normally does, he pivoted hard to the inside and swooshed in a baby hook. No hesitation. That play meant much more to me than a "soft" 20 points. Even though his stats weren't that great, the Heat game was still a step in the right direction for Yao.

3. oliver_67

oliver_67 Member

Exactly, at the end of the article, Yao said:"I very sorry when we lost game before, but not this time. I feel that I have done my part and tried my best."

Give Yao a MJ or Stockton clone and let's see how the big fellow responds.

4. NBAsticker

NBAsticker Member

It is diffcult to understand word "explode" from article. You can understand that "explose" means YAO is determined to be dominant. "Explose" can also imply JVG would remove some key player from ROX' roster. From the title of the article, I may believe in the former. I don't think that JVG would tell YAO about his plan too much, if such a plan is on the infant.

5. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

The thread title is misleading. In the article, Yao said JVG might "explode" in 2 or 3 days. A natural interpretation of JVG's explosion means roster change/trade. That was Yao's opionion, recorded by Yang Yi.

6. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

I can't read Chinese, so this is just off the translation. But isn't it possible we're reading too much into this? Yao has a colorful way of expressing himself. To me, it sounded like Yao was just describing how frustrated Van Gundy looked after the game. As in, "He was so mad, his face was so purple, it looked like he was ready to explode." I know I'm stating the obvious, but.

7. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

LOL, that reminds me of the fark edits people made of Coach K with the Duke Bluedevils.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. rocketjf

rocketjf Member

From the other Yang Yi article, Yao really sounds ready to ask the ball and take the responsbility. It's time for JVG take some actions to make a statement to his teammates.

9. sun12

sun12 Member

That's more likely the Yang Yi guy put his words in Yao's mouth. Totally fake.

10. MightyReds2020

Just wanna make a quick note on the second Yang Yi article.

Yao Ming's tone was not that aggressive in Chinese as it seem in the translated version. Ming didn't exactly fingerpointing. He basically said the guards were hesitant and sometimes a step slow to get him the ball when he got the positions, and that 'he felt he has done his part'. No harsh words lashed out to nobody.

11. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

hmmm where are the ususal Yang Yi bashing crowd? And that guy with sig of what Jeff said?

Something's not right here.

:confused:

12. lavarock

lavarock Contributing Member

The article said JVG standed in the locker room with both eyes red. Did he just cried after losing to his brother?:D

13. DaGlide

DaGlide Contributing Member

A double entendre of this magnitude cannot be planned. Clearly, we have to take this quote at face value. Prepare for JVG to release the new Sixth Man of the Year: Thunderous Colon!!!

14. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

HMMMMM...yao explosion? Rumsfield and Bush better arrest Yao now and search his home for WMD.

15. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

I once called up Yang Yi on the phone & asked him point blank if the stories were made up.

He was quite indignant and there is no hesitation in denying any fabrications.

I think he does have close contact with Yao, chit chats, then blends talks into reports. It's his unusal style of writing: rather than verbatim Yao's word, he is writing is like novel.

So I give him 90% credibility.

:confused:

16. lavarock

lavarock Contributing Member

Hmmm, what's his phone number??

17. beerghost

beerghost Contributing Member

Are you looking for me? ;)

I gave that up long time ago...whoever belive Mr. Yang, should continue to do so...whoever don't, shouldn't start to do so...I don't think any arugument here will change anything, specially someone's criedibility in telling the truth.

No matther how fictional a news can be, it never changes the output of a game, and thanks God for that.

18. PhiSlammaJamma

If a Rocket explodes, is that a good thing? Just kidding Yao. Explode baby. Explode!

19. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Yang Yi? I only have his cellphone. He is on the move a lot.

Are you a reporter too? I write articles for Chinese media & got to know Yang Yi.

20. pchan

pchan Member

I hope this is not off topic...
    For those of you who had watched Stephen Chow's "Shaolin Soccer", there is a deleted scene that had a guy talks about he is ready to explode...
    "at this moment, I am ready to explode"
    And he starts some hilariouos singing and dancing that starts the whole crowd dancing... maybe that's what Yao mean.