1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao needs to concentrate on Defense and Rebounding

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Nov 5, 2008.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you actually need to be a Rockets fan and watch the Rockets, not just one player.

its obvious that you are not one.

2. inspiRED

inspiRED Member

tinman,

we just have to acknowledge that our stars have weaknesses, like every player does.

let's go down the list:
    1) tmac: sometimes he gets too perimeter-oriented and jacks up shots willy-nilly. this year, for some reason, he's getting better and is getting to the line more. but i still didn't like that he took 2 jump shots when he got back into the game in the 4th. but if he keeps playing like he has, this is the tmac we want (just healthier).

2) yao: yao is who he is. he'll never dunk the ball with regularity and you'll get games like this. he'll never back down guys weaker and shorter than him and dunk the ball. he'll never consistently dominate the boards; he'll never get 3-4 blocks a game like the great ones do. he's a VERY GOOD player that is very skilled offensively. we just need to stop thinking he's the next dream or some great all-time big man.

3) artest: he's a ridiculously intense and great defender. but dude is a terrible jumpshooter who can fall in love with the jumper like tracy. 10 3s??? are you serious ron? what's the point of getting big and muscular and jacks up jumpshots? but he does contribute on the other end and he's not expected to be our superstar so i'll let it slip.

the celtics' big 3 have their own problems. but they know what they are and try to hide them by getting good role players.

we're getting there. our role players stepping up will reduce the load on our stars and thus they are more comfortable to do what they do best (go to their strengths). say a deke to help yao, or battier to help tracy, or another PG to make shots so our stars see less pressure (cough: rafer cough:)

3. Emma

Emma Member

You registered in Nov,2008 and he registered in 1999. So you failed.

4. MisterPink

MisterPink Member

I don't really see how you guys can argue that Yao DOESN'T need to focus on his defense. It was really atrocious tonight guys. It was bad.

It's also frustrating to see him get boxed out by guys he outweighs by 50-60 pounds.

5. yaopowered

yaopowered Member

Oh really? how is it OBVIOUS?

Are you claiming that one can't be a fan of Yao Ming and also be a fan of the Houston Rockets?

Listen, YOU are the one who started this dumb thread, claiming after ONE BAD GAME that Yao Ming needs to "focus on his defense and rebounds".

If Yao Ming has a great next game, scored 25, 20 rebounds, and 4 blocks, are you going to eat your words??

What did I say originally?

I said that Yao's defense and rebounding is FINE.

Yao at 7'6 will NEVER be a great rebounder, or a great defender. His stature prevents him from being a Great Rebounding / Defender. Mutombo, at 7'2, is far more lithe, and flexible, and quicker. And therefore Mutombo is a GREAT REBOUNDER / DEFENDER.

Yao's strength is his GREAT OFFENSE. And you OVERREACT over ONE BAD GAME.

You need to calm down, and stop being so emotional.

As I said, YAO WILL BE FINE! It's ONE DAMN GAME. Sheesh.

6. yaopowered

yaopowered Member

What the hell kind of logic is that?

Who gives a **** about registration date?

So if Jeff Van Gundy registered TODAY, he's beneath everyone else because he's a "rookie"?

r****ded argument. You can't be this stupid, right?

ALWAYS focus on the ARGUMENT, NOT the POSTER.

When people focus on DUMB things like "registration date", then you know the debate becomes DUMB.

7. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Yao is never going to be able to defend agile PF's or step out and contest mid range shots. he is who he is. A skilled offensive player who's very unathletic. He grabs boards, not because of his jumping ability, but because of his length. He also doesn't time his jumps well. Notice how he NEVER grabs a rebound with his arms fully extended. His arms are always bent. This is probably because of his slow reaction time, but watch how Mutombo grabs boards at the highest possible point with his arms extended. Yao is who he is. A "superstar" with a ton of flaws.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

Dude, I've been watching Yao since he came here. This performance was very disturbing. For defense and rebounding, that's effort and desire.

once again, I'm not talking about offense, yet you people love to throw it in to derail this thread.

Yao looked lost and people were getting UNCONTESTED layups.

That is disturbing. Did say 'oh lets trade Yao?' or 'bench Yao?' . I said he needs to improve.. REALLY if you care about Yao, you'd think the same thing too.

9. yaopowered

yaopowered Member

LOL. The fact that you were registered since 1999 doesn't matter. You claiim I want to derail this r****dED thread. Sorry, but people who use "Registration Dates" as an argument has by default, derailed this useless thread.

Yao Ming is what Yao Ming is. His Defense / Rebounding will NEVER BE GREAT. Just OK.

I am more worried about the TEAM's DEFENSE and REBOUNDING. It seems that since JVG has left, the Team is slowly losing the JVG defensive philosophy.

10. inspiRED

inspiRED Member

the rebounding thing is there his entire career. sometimes he'll just tips it around and won't "grab" it like it's his. it's apparent every year. it's apparent in the clip you show v. the jazz.

i never question yao's effort b/c i think yao always puts out his greatest effort out on the court. i never question his desire b/c you see that he cares.

but if you been watching yao long enough, you have to understand that yao's offense DOES dictate how he plays in other aspects of the game. that's why i bring offense in there.

yao was a completely different player after he got blocked by perkins. complete makeover.

yao is not gonna rebound or play defense this bad very often. he's too good for that. what i'm worried about is the next time he struggles offensively, will that suck the life from other parts of his game?

i love for him to become a player where if he is a non-factor in one area, dominate another.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I agree that the big guy needs to get mean and play pissed off. Whenever he does, the rare times it happens, he plays better, IMO. The 2 early fouls played a role tonight, however. I wish I could write it off as the refs sucking, but Yao had some stupid fouls. He wasn't alone.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

I'm a real Rockets fan dude. I can admit our faults so we can improve our team. I'm not blind like you.

What kind of logic says that Yao's defense and rebounding are fine when he's getting embarrassed on national TV?

I've been a Rockets fan since 1986 and oh yeah lived in Houston for the championship years. So yeah. it does matter. This is a Rockets site, not a Yao can't do wrong site.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Exactly. That's why its so disturbing that he played so bad. This is a statement game for the Rockets, but we made the wrong statement.

14. worzel gummidge

this was definately an important game. only one more regular season game for yao to work it out against boston until the playoffs.

15. machange

machange Member

INDEED

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Apparently that's NOT what you said earlier in this thread

Sorry, that was NOT OK defense and rebounding tonight.

17. inspiRED

inspiRED Member

that's not the problem. my problem with him ever since we drafted him is his offense usually dictates how he plays.

everyone who saw the game knows that perkins' block and the missed dunk changed the way he played on both ends. his shots got shorter; and he became a step slow on defense.

with tracy and ron, yao should not feel any pressure to dominate offensively. hell, with brooks, landry, barry, and scola, our offense doesn't depend on just one guy now. he'll get his. he should just focus on just completely shutting down the post and grabs all the rebounds in his way. until yao gets that mentality, he's not going to go to another level.

18. yaopowered

yaopowered Member

Before this game, what was Yao's Rebounding #s? He was averaging 11 rebounds a game.

The FACTS PROVE YOU WRONG. His rebounding is "Fine". His Defense is also "Fine".

Yes, this is a ROCKETS SITE. Then why do you create a Yao only Thread? Why don't you focus on how badly Artest played?

Artest had a worse night than Yao Ming as far as offense goes.

Yao Ming tonight, was harrassed. There were a lot of uncalled fouls. Yao Ming was man-handled tonight.

Why? Because Tom Thibordeau knows YAO MING more than YOU DO. He knows all his weaknesses.

If you ask Tom, DOES YAO NEED TO FOCUS ON HIS DEFNSE AND REBOUNDING, Tom would Laugh at you.

Tom would say, Yao ming is a great player. He's averaged DOUBLE DOUBLE FOR HOW MANY YEARS NOW??

I don't care if you've been a Rockets fan for 50 years. Who gives a crap. You're NOTHING. You're just another FAN.

Come back to me when you're an NBA coach, then you can spout off dumb statements like this.

19. GMAC

GMAC Member

Newbs. Is that your ultimate insult? You use it all the time, like it's suppose to make people feel inferior to you. Be more clever, Mr. 17,000 worthless posts.

20. bbjai

bbjai Member

to be perfectly honest, I didn't watch the game but I watched the highlights.

How on earth did Glen Davis get that rebound not once but twice..........