1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao needs...everyone to chill, it was just one off game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by EssTooKayTD, Nov 5, 2008.

Tags:
  1. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Limit his minutes. Sign Mutombo. Yao did well last year in Boston Garden against the Celts. They ended up being down by like 18 or 20 points around the 3rd quarter. Yao turns it on, and the rest of the team follows suit. Ended up almost winning the game with Yao carrying the load.

He punked Garnett that game as well. This was while McGrady was injured and the Rockets were still a sub .500 team. This was around the time that the Rockets were starting to gel and picked up that momentum for a 22 game win streak. One bad game yea. He has those. The missed dunks though are pretty sad to watch. I do think he's not 100% because his lift thats already pretty bad is even worse. It's not like he's getting bear hugged while coming up for a dunk. Just being flat footed. And I do think fatigue has a lot do with it.

I can understand playing all our stars a lot of minutes to try and get them to gel this early in the season. I think once the team starts to click on both ends, we can expect Yao's minutes to go down as well as McGrady's. It's just a matter of getting past that point where they're still struggling to develop any sort of chemistry until around January like last year.

Yao also tends to struggle earlier in the season. It isn't until around January that he really picks it up. If he sucks it up then, then we should really be concerned. He's not the greatest. Still best in the league though.

2. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

Although I agree with you about Tom Thibodeau knowing exactly how to stop Yao, I will hold my horses and wait until we are out of the first round before raising a giant red flag about the possibility of playing Celtics in the Final.

In fact, I'd say if we get to the Final, I'd be super ecstatic already.

3. bjshot

bjshot Member

so true

4. ibm

ibm Member

so it's not yao himself thinking he's the best center in history. now i get that. but how many of us have ever thought he's the best ever? you premise is still false.

and yao has had a bad game every 4-5 games? that is 20-25%. really? if you really believe this, you're an idiot, basketball-wise. if you don't believe it and went ahead and said it anyways, you're lying. i take my words back. don't join the coaching staff, go join the politicians.

give me a str8 face and tell me what is the future for yao in this team, if he's indeed that bad like you've claimed. trade him? send him back to china? the truth is, when yao doesn't play well, it's tough for us to win on a nightly basis.

5. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Does Tom have some pictures of Yao in compromising positions because otherwise, I don't see how Tom possesses knowledge that's not already known around the league about stopping Yao.

Let's see.

Yao does not handle fronting well.
    Yao is not mobile.
    Yao doesn't run the court well.
    Yao can't jump.

Oh, yeah, and the latest discovery: Yao is intimidated by the rim. :mad:

6. dexkk

dexkk Member

First of all, YAO played horribly. We all saw that but it's ridiculous to say that the Yao will be ineffective against the Celtics. Personally, after watching the game, I thought it was Yao's fault he played like crap and not the Celtics. While the Celtics defense may play a factor, there were easy baskets and rebounds Yao missed. You can't say after this game that Yao can't be counted on if we see the Celtics in the finals.

7. A13

A13 Member

This is Yao, He never stands up when we need him.

8. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Thats what I don't get it seen like he shouldn't have to jump that high to dunk the ball just put it in there. And I think theres no way in hell he should be getting blocked, well on second thought that can happen to anyone a block shot isn't that bad. But its how he got blocked it was like he knew was Yao was going to do it was just sad to see if you're a Rcokets fan.

But I do think Yao will bounce back and have a great game next game thats what great players do.

9. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

i gave up trying to blame yao since two years ago when he was owned by Okur. he is who he is. the big liability. he's going to occasionally have bad nights against good post defenders who can affect his shot.

10. steam03

steam03 Member

and fans to attend the lower bowl seats

rockets vs celtics with half empty seats and uncles+aunties leaving the game with 2mins to go and rockets down 2...wtf???

maybe it wasjust election day but still......wtf????

11. The Brian

The Brian Member

boston defense shutting down yao or not, it wasn't the defense that blocked his layup attempt (the rim did) or made him both easy putbacks.

yao was limited by the defense, true, but you are giving more credit than due, especially when he was in foul trouble for a lot of the game and he played very poorly (a lot of which, as said above, was not due to the defense).

celtics are great on defense, but yao also had a terrible night. when we play them again, yao will not be nearly that ineffective.

12. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Excellent thread. You've rightfully pointed out that a lot of fans are irrational.

13. Lovemachine2000

1. Who do you know that think Yao's the best center in history? Unless you work for a mental institution, I doubt you can name any.

2. So when a player misses 4 straight shots, the coach should take him out? Then T-Mac would only play 15 minutes every other game, and God forbid, Alston would get as much burn as Steve Francis.

14. Lovemachine2000

Great OP though. People should just take a chill pill sometimes. I have faith in Adelman's coaching ability, and hopefully Morey will somehow find us another legit big man and even some PG help.

15. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Can't agree more. People are giving Tom Thibodeau and Boston's defense too much credit. Tom for sure is very familiar with Yao's play. But it's not like how to effectively defend Yao is a big secret out there. Missing point blank shots/dunks has little to do with defense. Otherwise I'd say opponents' FT defense on Rox has gotten a LOT worse this season. ;)

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17. sn09

sn09 Member

Yao had a shocker last night but come on, you've seen what he can do. he's a definite 20 and 10 guy and all this talk about him choking in the dying minutes is just ridiculous. This was ONE game. He's pulled us through many games before. I'm a die hard houston fan, but seriously, how melodramatic some of you guys are after a loss against the world champs by a measly 4 points with an off artest, off yao, battier-less rockets is just incredible

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what game did you watch dude? it sure wasn't the boston one.
    here's the dying minutes of the game for you

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6095183.html

The Celtics, however, could not claim the win until the final seconds.
    Allen’s run had built a 98-91 lead with just less than two minutes left. Rockets forward Luis Scola, who finished with a season-high 21 points on 9-of-15 shooting, hit a jumper and then finished a break, cutting the margin to three with 1:13 remaining.
    Garnett, who had taken only one fourth-quarter shot, hit a baseline jumper with 59.6 seconds left, and Pierce added a free throw, giving Boston a 101-95 lead with 47 seconds remaining. But the Rockets came back one last time.
    McGrady hit two free throws to cut the deficit to four, and on the Rockets’ next trip down the floor, Tony Allen ran through McGrady while he went up for a 3-pointer, sending McGrady to the line with 10.3 seconds remaining. McGrady had made 25 of 29 free throws this season, and he shook off an awkward fall while officials checked the replay to be sure he was behind the line.
    Had he hit all three attempts, the Rockets could have pulled within a point and then, at worst, set up a 3-pointer to shoot for a tie and overtime. McGrady made only two, however, and when the Rockets had to send Eddie House to the line, his two free throws put Boston safely ahead.

#58 tinman, Nov 5, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  19. ibm

ibm Member

i hate to see posts like this one. this type of posts bring down the quality of this board.

so "going to occasionally have bad nights against good post defenders who can affect his shot" = "the big liability"? excellent argument. :rolleyes:

some said the rockets need better fans. how true. given what yao has brought to this team and this town, some fans are giving him a nice new nick - after one game.

20. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I got to admit....as much as i like Yao and support him and the reason that i am a Rockets fan, sometimes i hate his game. He does sometimes play like a girl..like he's not man enough and let little guys push him or failed to dunk the ball and put some fear into the man who guard him. He played soft as a result. You know he can rise up and dunk it and dunk it with with force...but his state of mind has always been doing layups...it's like he was program to do only layups and not dunk. Why does it constantly need to be reminded to be aggressive. I hate that about him....

Another reason is that he tends to disappeared during the big game ...like i remember he was horrendous in the Jazz Playoffs series..he can't do anything much even though you know he is big enough to dominate them.