1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by DieHard Rocket, May 29, 2001.

1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I have heard quite a bit about this guy and how talented he is at 7'6, but there has been no talk of him in this years draft. I know he had to get permission from his Chinese team to declare, but I thought I read something somewhere that he did and would be available to draft. Does anyone have any more information on him? He would probably be a lottery pick if he is eligible, but he might be kind of a gamble for whoever takes him.

Thanks in advance for any info...

------------------
    Now saw off...there's nothing to see here.

2. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

I believe he WAS in but is now OUT of the draft, right?

------------------
    Time is a great teacher-- only problem is it kills all its pupils.

3. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

So maybe this whole Yao Ming thing got a bit over-hyped. Some teams, including the Chicago Bulls, never even made a scouting trip to China to see Yao play. They were all waiting for Yao to suit up for China in the East Asia games against better competition than is typically found in the China professional league. Yao may have left them all very disappointed. Yao scored 18 points while China was throttled 105-77 by the Australians. A few days later, Yao scored just 8 points and fouled out in a loss to South Korea.

------------------
    Don't think....just throw. Don't think....just throw.

[This message has been edited by Buck88 (edited May 29, 2001).]

4. Band Geek Mobster

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Maybe he was a bit overhyped, especially by ESPN when they did a feature article in the mag on him(why does that not surprise me). I wouldn't give up on him yet, because I don't believe he's been playing ball for very long...just a few years. He could probably easily be the best player over 7'5 in the NBA.

------------------
    Now saw off...there's nothing to see here.

6. enbehay

enbehay Member

During the Olympics a cameraman caught Yao without his makeup -- it was Serge Zwikker!

------------------

7. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

Wow! That would make him, like, the 298th best player in the league. Draft him!

------------------
    "If you don't understand it,
    don't try to understand it."
    -Carl Everett

8. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

The Chinese version of Shawn Bradley!! [​IMG]

He didn't declare for the draft this year and will come out next year.