1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming to have microfracture surgery, his shoes may be partial cause of the injury

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yaomac11, Mar 1, 2008.

1. yaomac11

yaomac11 Member

http://sports.sohu.com/20080301/n255459379.shtml

In a March 1 sohu.com interview, Yao Ming's agent Zhang Mingji gave the latest update on Yao's injury:

"Yao Ming's seeking of a second opinion is over. Three top doctors in the field gave the same advice after the examination. They said that Yao Ming needs to have a microfracture surgery and bone screws will be used to fix the tarsal navicular bone of his left foot to speed up healing of the stress fracture. Meanwhile, this surgery can prevent similar injuries from happening. The surgery will also involve removal of bone spurs in Yao's left foot in order to increase ankle range of motion and try to reduce risk of future bone fracture as much as possible."

"Yao Ming's foot stress facture has a lot to do with his high arched feet (a.k.a. cavus type feet) , and his previous fifth metatarsal fracture also has something to with it. So after the surgery this time future similar injuries can be prevented. Also after the surgery adjustments will be made to Yao Ming's shoes and shoe innersoles"

" I am 100% sure Yao Ming can play in Olympics. Right now it looks like Yao Ming will need 3-4 months' time to recover from the injury. The doctors are hoping he can wait until his left foot is 100% healed before he can get back on the court. There are news reports blaming Yi Jianlian for causing Yao's injury by stepping on his foot, those blamings are unfair to Yi since Yao's injury has nothing to do with Yi."

2. JD2010

JD2010 Member

J-Kidd and Stoudemire have come back from microfacture. K-Mart did too but it took him years..

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As expected, surgery is usually the best option for an athlete in this situation.

Also, not surprised by the footwear - stress fractures are highly linked to poor footwear. I'm shocked they didn't have the proper soles in his shoes after the first injury.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

of the knee, not the foot. big difference.

5. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

Reebok's kicks are garbage

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Misleading thread title. Nowhere does it say that the shoes may be a partial cause.

It says that the shoes will be adjusted in the future. Totally different.

7. ibm

ibm Member

damn, is it that he has to adjust the shoes after the surgery anyways, or reebok has had something to do with his injuries all along?

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The history of NBA players with microfracture surgery isn't pretty.

Then again, none of those players compare with Yao's will to kick ass.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

i can't help but interpret the surgery as a bad sign.

I think we might be on the downside. :(

10. blackbird

blackbird Member

I hate to say it, but Reebok really sucks. It is on Yao again, why on earth did he choose Reebok? :mad:

11. yaomac11

yaomac11 Member

Reebok should have made the adjustments at the very beginning seeing that Yao has high arched feet. It's not diffcult for them to find out high arched feet is a potential cause of foot stress fracture.

12. ibm

ibm Member

why??

c'mon, we should always look at the bright side.

13. yaomac11

yaomac11 Member

It's not Yao sucks but the Yao team sucks. They care more about making money off you than protecting Yao's career.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

this doesn't make sense - microfracture surgery is a technique used to repair knew cartilage - not fix stress fractures in the foot.

in fact, isn't microfracture surgery about creating microfractures in bone to spur cartliage growth??? Why would yao be having this type of surgery?

15. Astockmarketgod

every supposed superstar... or marketing magnet.... has been choosing Nike...

since I can remember... and our guy chooses... Reebok....

Rox go for 17 games in a row!!!

16. bloop

bloop Member

agreed for anything high impact reeboks are terrible

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I had a lot of foot problems in my basktball days, and eventually found the solution of buying a pair of nikes with amazing cushioning and arch support (I'm semi-pronated like most people) - and then gutting the insole anyway and putting in polysorbathane and that did the trick.

that stuff just absorbs the impact and i went from playing in pain to having no pain. it's the greatest stuff every invented.

18. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Reebok is garbage.

Yao should have done NIKE or atleast ADIDAS.

Better than Converse I suppose, Chuck Taylors have the WORST arch support in the world.

19. slobodan

slobodan Member

that was in the knees. much more of a concern there.

20. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

It was pretty well documented that Yao intended to re-sign with Nike originally, but Nike tried to play something tricky in the contract that made Yao feel cheated so he decided against it even later Nike increased the offer much more than the one Yao got from Reebok.