1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming: The Season is 1/4 Over; We have No Time To Waste

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Dec 10, 2007.

1. magicwind

magicwind Member

Maybe they already had agreements when signning the contract. Les give RA an insured position for 1 year and RA promise to get more audience back. Playoffs? either of them cares.

2. New Jack

New Jack Member

Yeah, because not micromanaging like Van Gundy is the same thing as doing nothing.

What Yao did is what should be expected of any player that considers themself a superstar/leader of his team. Yao and Mcgrady have been coddled by their coaches for long enough.

Do you think Jordan sat back and twiddled his thumbs everyday waiting for Phil Jackson to give him every single instruction?

Being a coach is like being a parent. Some parents feel the need to control every aspect of their child's life. Others try a more hand's off approach and let their children figure things out on their own. We've tried the controlling parent approach (Van Gundy), and all it lead to was 1st round exits and two soft "superstars".

I would like to see how Yao and Mcgrady respond to having a coach that doesn't coddle them and tell them everything they need to do. I want to see if they take the initiative rather than relying on their coach to lead them. However, if they continue to respond like they did yesterday, by playing passively, then they obviously aren't the superstars that are going to lead us to the promised land.

3. magicwind

magicwind Member

I dont believe for a second even 10% of the team leaders in the league were doing that kind of work before game. in fact Jordan spent most his time on the plane gambling with his teammates. come on, on excuse, the Rox team IS sick now. players are doing coach's job, coach's doing nothing.

4. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

We're seeing what happens right before our eyes when the coach is too hands off.

Somebody needs to motivate the two stars. I know its complete B.S. and that's a different discussion...but it's honestly the way it is. It's obvious they can't motivate themselves on the court.

5. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I disagree Yao's view about wasting time now. Every game is a learning experience. Yao is still in learning stage, and needs more patience.

6. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Yao should stop his biatching and concentrate on his job - that's to protect the paint. 38 mins 6 def rebounds 1 PF - that's a bad performance Yao. Nesterovic got 9 pts 7 rebounds (4 off) and Humphries got 16 pts 9 rebounds (4 off). Ooops!

So, what are you talking about Yao?

7. abc2007

abc2007 Member

That is Yao's problem. I have noticed this for a while. Normally, when Yao got low pts, and he also got low rbs. It means he is not mature enough to control his own emotion. It seems if he couldn't score, he was very upset and could not focus on rbs and other things.

8. magicwind

magicwind Member

Yao dont need to be motivated. He tried to movtivate others but seems no luck at all. I know him because I never missed a single game he played for China national team, where he showed his leadership and his heart. He yelled at his teammates, actually yelled at the whole team in front of the media after a pathetic lose. And that motivated the team, otherwise the team couldn't go over the former world Champion Serbian team to the second round in 2004 Olympic. Same thing happened in 2006 world cup in Japan.

Don't say Yao is soft, dont say he's no heart. He does. But he's just not in a position that he can show that. On court, he's a 5, he doesn't control the ball, he couldn't run the team as a 1 or 2. Off court, he's not the ONLY leader of the team, plus, he's a foreigner. Feel so bad for him.

9. magicwind

magicwind Member

I disagree with you because it IS waste of time if the team repeatly commits same mistakes without showing any sign or direction of improvment. Patience, yes, the one who doesnt care win or lose has the best patience over the world.

10. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

I agree with you to a certain extent, and you are correct that he depends on other people to be able to score. And let me just say that I love Yao. But if he's not getting the ball, he's got to find some other way to contribute. Maybe he needs to start going after offensive rebounds a bit more. Maybe he needs to give somebody a hard foul. Maybe he needs to talk trash. Or maybe he just needs to quit turning the ball over like a mad man.

I love Yao, but he needs to find other ways to contribute if he's not getting the ball from his teammates. But you're right, he's the only one who cares.

11. magicwind

magicwind Member

Did you ever hear about "it takes 5" If Yao was that kind of player who doesn't care win or lose but just want stats. He could have 15+ reb every game, and never try to rotate on defence, just board. And if he's not that unselfish, shot every ball he got, he will still be 25+ a game.

12. magicwind

magicwind Member

I agree. I noticed that when Yao was pissed off he couldn't play as well as usual, very rare for him though. he becomes very anxious to score, or to stop every shot in front of him, but failed to read the whole offense or defense, that where he gives cheap fouls or turns the ball over. He needs to calm down even he's been driven crazy by some lazy teammates.

An interesting side topic about Yao's trash talk. He never trash talks when the team is losing or when he's angry. He trash talks when he's happy.

13. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Yao has been this league for 5 years, and he thinks he's ready and fans think he's ready. But, obviously, not ready yet! Dream got his rings when he was 30s, and Dream played college bball before he played in nba league.

Yao's life has been very smooth! But, there are always difficulites in one's life, sooner or later.

Yao is a human, I think the current situation is totally nomal.

14. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Yes, it takes 5 and Yao is the missing link. When the offense is not going well, he should bust his ass to rebound at the def end. 18 offensive for the raptors in game total. several multiple opportunities in 1 possesion by the raptors in 3rd qtr. Yao should biatch about himself.

And I bet 1K Yao will never average 15+ rb per game even if he doesnt need to score. U need to have some sense of what u r talking about.

15. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Naaaaah, WRONG .....if you can read and comprehend, Big Yao did not underestimate teams in the Eastern Conference nor overestimates his own team; or else he would not have to waste his time studying on his own the video recordings of his opponents before playing them.

16. abc2007

abc2007 Member

If you are a true Yao's fan, you should realize that Yao needs to be relax now. He is only 27, and he has time to develop himself and rockets has time to develop the team too. Don't put him and rockets on a too high positon when they are not ready!

The below paragraph from the article you translated, and it says enough.

"Yao Ming is very clear about the goal of the Houston Rockets for this season, which is to advance very deep and further into the playoff. Therefore at any time, he is applying that standard on himself and on his team mates. Even though he knew his team had started to win some, yet this team had yet to reach the standard and level that guarantee this team will survive in the playoff. He simply will not be satisfied by winning over teams in the Eastern Conference. He sets his targets on those strong teams of the Western Conference."

17. Rockza

Rockza Rookie

It takes 5... lol for rebounds?? 6 rebounds in 40+ mins while Nesterovich and Humphries got 8 OFFENSIVE rbds? I saw three offensive rebounds stolen from Yao right under his nose while he was waiting for the ball to land on his hands! Talk about "waking" up his teammate comments by Yao. Wrong time pal, you should have said this comment AFTER you have a great game, not when you were the one sleeping.

I will buy the "it takes 5" line, when you guys STOP BLAMING TMAC FOR EVERY SINGLE LOSS.

18. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Well if you're a true fan of Big Yao, then you'll know he sets high standard for himself and he works double hard in NBA to be in his current position. And when do you think his team will be ready? 2 to 3 years time? 4 to 5 years time? Big Yao said it right....this season is 1/4 over and there is no time to be wasted if the Rockets wants to advance deep and further into the playoff.

And unless you want Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady to be once again disappointed and frustrated after failing to get past their jinx of failing to reach the 2nd round, yeah let's relax like his other team mates are. :rolleyes:

19. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Yao is frustrated now because of fans like you!

You guys just simply put your dream on Yao, and force him to make it. I tell you that all Yao's true fans can take it if Yao continute to work hard and improve himslef (e.g., his assists), even if Rockets still couldn't pass the 1st round this season.

Dream got his rings when he was 30s. If Yao continue to improve himself, he will get his someday.

20. magicwind

magicwind Member

of course he could if he wanted, didn't you ever see how KG grab rbs from his teammates hands even with elbows sometime? Yao always give it away in that situation. that's him.