1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming on injuries: My left foot is forever numb

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Mar 9, 2018.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I think Lin fans were more stupid, but there's a reason why the term "YOF" is almost as old as Clutchfans itself.

Roomba likes this.
  2. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Word, I never realized all of this! I only started lurking on Clutchfans the year that Mchale started coaching and Dragic turned into a pretty great starter (I think it was 2011-12?) I should probably go check some older threads to see exactly what those "YOF"s were up to in his glory days.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yao was our hero. Much respect for all he did for our Houston Rockets.

Ramo$e and chadyang like this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

YOFs were on Clutchfans for National pride
    LOFs were here cause Lin triggered some insecurities
    YOFs eventually left to YaoMingMania
    They like to talk about his greatness and other random Yao things like his hair

LOFs left Clutchfans to further spread their insecurities and insult members of other established basketball teams forums
    Since Lin wasn’t great they blamed other players for his failures . Harden, Kobe, etc were blamed for his bad play

Obviously Chris Paul is playing just like an all star with James Harden

Ramo$e, RiceRockets and Roomba like this.
  5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Because Yao fans were nowhere near as insecure, idiotic, and pathetic as Lin fans.

Yao was a true star. One of the best players in the league. You didn't need to defend him and go around asking people to like him.

Lin was a borderline scrub that his fans thought was a superstar. They went around demanding that everyone worship him like they worshipped him. Ultimate losers that lived vicariously off of a scrub.

Ramo$e and Roomba like this.
  6. macan

macan Member

LOF is bandwagan fans, I don't consider Lin as a true rockets..on the other hand Yao was drafted by rockets organization, he's more authentic. YOF ain't bad compared to shxtty LOF

RiceRockets and tinman like this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Numbness on the top of his foot from surgery isn't really that big of a deal. It's just some minor nerve damage.

The issue is the bones, not the nerves.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Because Yao was legitimately the best center in the league.

Secondly, because he was so big, it was hard to identify with him where Lin as a more normal sized human being was someone you could actually emulate on the playground.

Roomba, tinman and chadyang like this.
  9. tinman

Supporting Member

Especially the bad passes and air balls

Sweet Lou 4 2 and Zboy like this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yao was and remains a Rockets hero. A legend. Mr. Lin was passing through in comparison, and without much of an impact. That's not intended as a slam at Lin, but rather praise for Yao, a giant towering above so many others, and in more than size. Yao and Sampson are two of the biggest "what if's?" and "if only's!" the Rockets ever produced.

Ramo$e likes this.
  11. kyle7758521

kyle7758521 Member

Proud of being from the same country as Yao, with all those compliments from the friends overseas.
    Just proud of such a country mate like YAO!!!

and Thank you to everyone who supported Yao, and this is very inspirational, and i believe we will have another Yao-like in the future. and better with Rockets team, as Rockets has a home base in China.

vlaurelio likes this.
  12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

YOF was a thing back then, I remember reading some of the older threads, it was pretty lol. A lot of them didn't really speak English and the threads were just ridiculous, you could almost laugh it off. That said even the YOF were mostly extremely biased basketball fans, and they actually followed basketball before Yao came into the NBA.

Lin fans were made up of a lot of insecure Asian Americans who were vicariously living through Lin. A lot of them barely even followed the NBA before Lin came along. Lin fandom was mixed with a lot of Asian empowerment/victim-hood sentiments which were not present with Yao Fans no matter how much they loved Yao.

If you read the old threads of GARM when Lin was in the NBA, it all became really political because every time Lin ****s up it's due to racism, it's hard to have a basketball discussion when the other side just plays the race card every time.

Zboy, Roomba and tinman like this.
  13. tinman

Supporting Member

Perfect post

14. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

That actually makes a lot of sense, I’m living in China right now and one thing I realized is that most people here are pretty comfortable with the topic of race, to the point of insensitivity lol. I rarely see people feeling insecure about being Asian or trying to hype up our man Joe Chee just because of his race. Obviously they want him to do well and are rooting for him but they’re probably harder on him than most American fans because they want him to represent the country well overseas. I guess if Joe actually turns into a good baller we might get some non-joke QOFs but hey, at least the Rockets have the China market mostly cornered

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

you don't get a paralyzed foot from a micro chip stress fracture. They must have been injecting him with pain numbing medicine over and over.

16. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

I know I’m not the only one here who shed a tear or ten watching the giant bravely storm his way through the tunnel and back into the game because he knew without him we couldn’t beat the to-be-champions.

For me I was with another fan watching it live and we both knew instinctively he might be done physically.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

His foot isn't paralyzed - he just has numbness on the TOP of his foot from the surgery. Surgery results in numbness because they often have to cut through nerves when they do the incision. But it's not the entire foot - he wouldn't be able to walk if that was the case!

18. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

He wasn't just a great player. He was (and is) a great guy and role model. Thank you, Yao.

LEGEND!

19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

you're only a real fan if you're willing to amputate your foot and give it to Yao.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

Your foot has to be really large

kaleidosky likes this.