1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming Not Retiring?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dingaaa, Jul 8, 2011.

1. dingaaa

dingaaa Member

Yahoo Sports recently said Yao Ming will retire, while Sina Sports denied Yao's retirement.
    Yao Ming not to retire

After Yahoo's surprising news of Yao's retirement, Sina Sports said that Yao Ming did not announce his decision to retire from the NBA, citing Yao's broker Zhang Jiming.

"Yao Ming has decided to retire from the NBA, league sources tell Y! Sports. He informed the league office within past 48 hours." Yahoo Reporter Adrian Wojnarowski said. "Yao hasn't been able to recover fully from numerous operations. He is one of the seminal figures in globalization of the NBA and basketball."

Yao is one of China's most recognizable athletes. He is a Chinese professional basketball player who plays for the Houston Rockets of the National Basketball Association (NBA).

http://hken.ibtimes.com/articles/176848/20110708/yao-ming-not-to-retire-report.htm

In another article,
    Today YAHOO! Sports announced that Yao Ming plans to retire from the NBA.

But according to a report from Chinese Web site Sina's sport's section, Yao has made no decision to leave the Houston Rockets.
    According to Yao's Chinese agent Zhang Jiming, the star will not retire from the league, despite reports by YAHOO!

As with the recent questions over reports that Chinese ex-leader Jiang Zemin died, Chinese media is pitted against the foreign presses.

If Yao Ming has indeed decided to 'sit this one out' forever, maybe it's because the basketball star has taken quite the thrashing from opponents since becoming the top pick of the 2002 NBA draft.

Here's a little review of the injuries that may have contributed to Yao Ming's decision to sit this game out in perpetuity:

It's all about the left foot.

In 2005, he developed osteomyelitis in his left foot.

In 2006, Yao broke his left foot.

In 2011, he fractured his left ankle.

All the while, he was plagued by a slew of issues with his lower body.

In eight seasons, Yao missed 180 games.

He has a cult following in China, where basketball players wear jerseys with his name strewn across the back.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/176869/20110708/yao-ming-retired-rumor-sina-sports.htm

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Maybe he'll have a assistant coaching position to mentor Houston's bigs? Or all of China is in the denial stage...

3. conquistador#11

glorious propaganda. Yao Is Unbreakable.

1 person likes this.
  4. Chris Jent MVP

one big question is the timing of all this. isn't he still months away from his projected return anyway? it would make more sense to evaluate things after the target date and decide at that time, instead of right now.

it might be true, but i'll wait for the big fella to announce it himself in a press conference.

5. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Though I think Yao's officially done, Ric Bucher also voiced some of his skepticism with the initial reports, citing similar statements as the Sina source. So, unless Bucher took his opinion from Sina, let's not exactly discount the entire credibility of the Chinese media outlet.

6. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Kinda stinks if he is done... I'd honestly thought this lockout would give Yao even more time to rehab without getting behind on team chemistry... bummer....

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Maybe Yao got bored with rehab and decides to mess with us?

8. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Read this on YMM, which was quoted from RealGM:

9. TISNF

TISNF Member

Timing is a bit strange. I can't imagine he would make such a decision without consulting with Les Alexander -- illegal during the lockout.

I didn't expect him to come back, though. Nevertheless, still disappointing news. The guy never peaked, that's what's so frustrating. :(

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

his agent hasn't said a word about it... and there isn't a single quote of him saying that he is retiring is there?

11. TISNF

TISNF Member

I think that's a bit of a stretch. Since when have the Rockets' training staff been known for being exceptionally better than any of the other 29 clubs?

What are the procedures, if any, of retiring and un-retiring? Is there a limit to how long one has to "sit out"? If it's like ~six months or something, then I would consider such a "plan" with merit with the lockout likely extending deep into the fall/winter.

12. thaidizzle

thaidizzle Member

yay. a little hope

13. cookies18

cookies18 Member

Yeah I hope so!!!

14. ThaShark316_28

WE CAN REBUILD HIM. We have the technology.

15. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

I love Yao too.......but this whole he might be back is Old.

Hurry up Yao I want to read the words coming out of your mouth!!! Hurry up

16. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Yao retires. China says not so fast, make us more money

17. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Man I hope he comes back, even if he lingers around injured all year. Things will never be the same without YAO. Even if he lingers around all year, please come back YAO.

18. yo

yo Contributing Member

19. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Yao pulling an MJ. Retire and come back after this season ready to win a Championship!

20. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

lol he'll be like a ghost, haunting the end of our bench