1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming: Most Photogenic Player ??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Feb 12, 2007.

1. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Man.....can these Chinese reporters learnt BETTER about basketball terminology/jargons ??

http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2007-02-12/12342753314.shtml

I almost cracked into tears, when they translated "set the best screens" to "most photogenic"....

Anyway, what do you guys think about Charlie Rosen's latest allegations ??

Are most of the screens set by Yao Ming illegal moving screens ??

2. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

I remember they started calling a lot of illegal screens on Yao in the Mavs playoff series. I think this was due to Cuban sending in tapes to league officials. I'm not sure whether he really cheats or not though, but I've seen it called on him sporadically.

3. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

guys like JHo and Chuck can set nice screens, even Rafer sometimes, when they time it well so the defender is strongly (but legally) bumped hard to give max space for TMac or whoever to get a shot off... Yao sets good screens almost by default because he is so massive... hence the nickname "The Great Wall of Yao"...

4. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Yes, he does set a lot of illegal screens, but he gets away with it, and deservedly so considering how badly officiated he is in the paint.

5. TRAVLR

TRAVLR Member

To me the movement is usually after he is set, then moves on the roll sometimes too quickly. He is definitely moving, but there is a difference in moving to set the screen and moving on the roll. Sometimes the guy with the ball is not giving him time to get his feet set, and sometimes he is just moving.

They could call it alot more than they do on Yao, but frankly the other poster is right, the calls are so bad on Yao in the paint it has to equalize somewhere. He routinely gets hammered on moves to the hoop and receives "no-calls" so if he's moving a bit on a high pick and roll and gives someone a bruise, so what.

6. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

Waw, the guy who translated that totally does not know anything about basketball.

7. liu1107

liu1107 Contributing Member

I really think CHuck can set the best screens... he's so wide and so strong.. and he rolls like a guard

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

cuban has got to that writer. yao moves less than most people while setting screens...definitely less that mavs players do (minus their flopping)

9. bigben3

bigben3 Member

i dont know what does "set the best screens" either

but i know it's not a commendatory phrase

give some suggestions to pryuen

such chinese basketball websit like sina sohu qq sucks

they offen have nothing meaningful thread

ALOT of trash talkings i seldom browse that web

here is a good chinese b ball web

www.hoopchina.com enjoy it

10. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

The title of the thread just doesn't sound good... :)

11. Lonestar

Lonestar Member

Frequent screens make Yao fatigued, however, JVG insists it. I double it is the best choice or not. Shaq does not do that kind of screen as Yao does. It's energy-consuming considering Yao has to run back to the positions that he is supposed to be at after the screens

12. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

excellent, exactly what I was thinking.

13. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

Pruyen, I am 100% with you on this one. I disagreed with your view in that other thread (the why is media mean to Yao one), but I really think that this is the biggest B.S I've seen in my life..

freakin illegal screens? are they serious? freakin Steve Nash walks into a guy to set a screen in their "designed shooting play", freakin Ben Wallace steps over the guy when he sets a screen, and all they talk about is Yao! Yao cant even move on the screen because he is so damn big! he just needs to stand there without moving. we always get called for B.S screen calls (usually on JHO)..

but if I had to choose the best screen setter, I would go with Chucky Hayes...

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Rosen couldnt let a week go by before getting another Rockets jab in? Dillhole