1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming: Francis is the best guard of NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by windandsea, Dec 9, 2002.

1. link

link Member

i still think jason kidd is a better point guard than steve.

2. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

At this juncture that shouldn't even be argued. Kidd is obviously the best point in the league right now.

3. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

lets not burst Yao's bubble guys....its obvious to us that Kidd....and Payton.....are better pt. gaurds than Stevie.....lets just let Yao keep believin that Steve is betta than them.....it couldnt hurt rite? :p

4. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

GANG DU:eek:
    great name

5. walterw

walterw Member

It is quite a surprise for me to know that there are actually female
    fans in this board deeply involved analyzing the Rox games, Rosters, even more so a one from China.

It is not a knock on female, but I always think they like to do or watch things by how they feel, and reluctanly go into the complicated analysis mood.

Well, certainly I am wrong:cool:

6. GreatProgrammer

I have been watching NBA for 10 years, and I am a fan of NBA since the first time I watched nba games. And now, I become a fan of the Rox. :D

The reason for that is very simple. It is because I was from China and Yao Ming is here. However, the Rox make me change my mind. I am the Rox fan because they are just an excellent team. They are just excellent people. They play team games; complete-basketball games. Rudy.T is a good coach for building a team. He can always use BIG guys to build up a team and make everyone get involved. I still remember that I was very impressive while watching the Dream led the Rox to the Championship in 1994.

Now, it is the time for Ming and Steve. Steve is so skilled and dynamic. He could control the tempo of the game so well while facing the Kings. Ming's pass was so wonderful. He was staying inside and passed the ball to everyone available to attack the Kings. It is just amazing. An amazing team, an amazing game.
    I am sure very soon, the Rox will bring us another Championship. Therefore, I will be living here from now on.

Cheers!

7. GreatProgrammer

I have been watching NBA for 10 years, and I am a fan of NBA since the first time I watched nba games. And now, I become a fan of the Rox. :D

The reason for that is very simple. It is because I was from China and Yao Ming is here. However, the Rox make me change my mind. I am the Rox fan because they are just an excellent team. They are just excellent people. They play team games; complete-basketball games. Rudy.T is a good coach for building a team. He can always use BIG guys to build up a team and make everyone get involved. I still remember that I was very impressive while watching the Dream led the Rox to the Championship in 1994.

Now, it is the time for Ming and Steve. Steve is so skilled and dynamic. He could control the tempo of the game so well while facing the Kings. Ming's pass was so wonderful. He was staying inside and passed the ball to everyone available to attack the Kings. It is just amazing. An amazing team, an amazing game.
    I am sure very soon, the Rox will bring us another Championship. Therefore, I will be living in this BBS from now on.

Cheers!

8. Lil

Lil Contributing Member

Dunno what to say. First the return and revelation of the great W&S, then this terrific Yang Yi article. I think one thing that gets lost in the translation is Yao Ming's eloquence. Damn, He's well-spoken! (Either that, or Yang Yi's even more talented than I thought!)

If you don't mind (I think MFW2310's translation is spot on), but I would just like to get across some of the nuances, so that other non-Chinese Rockets fans can get a glimpse of his personality...
    Props again to W&S and Yang Yi for the great article!

-----------
    Don't treat it like it's the NBA
    -----------
    Yang Yi, Beijing Youth Daily, 12/10/02

--------
    Through our staff reporter's trans-Pacific connection [internet or phone?], Yao Ming speaks out: "Don't treat it like it's the NBA"
    --------
    After knocking off the 76ers with 18 Points 12 boards, and averaging 20.3/12.3 over the last three games, Yao Ming is not only the hottest Rookie in December, but also ranks only behind Big Shark [Shaq?] Oneal among the entire league's centers.

It's late night in Houston on that side of the Pacific. The top pick's calm voice belies a hint of excitement.

Yang Yi (YY): That's three double-double's in a row. And you only played 27 minutes against Philadelphia.

Yao Ming (YM): Mike Rourke (76ers center) moves slow, so it's a bit easier playing against him. The key was the offensive foul in the first period, that really cut down my playing time. But I felt that I didn't foul on that play.

YY: Don't be greedy! On the whole, the refs have been treating you very well!

YM: This I admit. You can say that the refs haven't been treating me like a rookie. I've been told since way back that the refs will watch rookies closely and stick it to them. When big Bateer first came, it was like he fouled out every other game, but that hasn't been the case with me. I figure it is probably because I've got better inter-personal skills? [I'm better with people?] I heard that when we played Dallas, Mavs owner Cuban was court-side screaming at the refs: "How is he a rookie? You're basically treating him like a legend!"

YY: So you're feeling sure about your situation [confident] now, right?

YM: [Laughes] The confidence wasn't from the refs. When I first started, I always thought "I've gotta score at least two points first". That way, at least I won't be turning in zeros. But now I no longer get the feeling where I'm hoping to relax and relieve myself of this burden [of at least some numbers on the board] [where I'm trying to get the zeros bugbear off my back]. I know I definitely can score. Not only score, but score a lot. Not just score a lot, I can grab rebounds, block, assist, I can do a lot of things. Each time I get a hook shot, or a dunk, or a nice pass, I feel like I'm really enjoying myself. At those times, I know that this court belongs to me. [All your base are belong to us].

YY: This confidence, or should we say pleasure, started from that 30-point outburst in Dallas?

YM: Actually the game against the Cavs right after that. Do you still remember? In the 2nd quarter, I grabbed a rebound with just my right hand, right from on top of Ilgauskas's head. When I felt that ball in my hands, I knew the feeling had come.

YY: By this time, maybe you really have gotten some of that "experience" they talk about?

YM: I don't dare to say whether it's experience or not, but most importantly it's a kind of realisation [a eureka moment]. I knew that in the future there will be even more Chinese people coming here to play. I've already told the Rockets owner [Les] about those two players Tang Zheng-Dong and Yi Jian-Lien. What I can tell those guys is this, don't treat these games like you're playing in the NBA, don't assume that these are the games you've watched on TV as a kid, the dazzling and awe-inspiring competition. This is just plain and simple [ordinary] basketball. [Sounds like typical veteran advice for rookies...] It might be the case that they'll face some pressure, for example, Yi Jian-Lien, being hyped up even though he's so young and playing only his first year of CBA basketball. The pressure on him is probably no less than when I played my first NBA game.

YY: At this stage, is it time to face the issues between you and Francis?

YM: I've seen a lot of talk in the national [Chinese] media. [What talk?] But what I want to say is this: Let no one underestimate Francis. And just same, let no one overestimate me. [I guess the talk must be about how Francis is stealing Yao's thunder...] Yesterday when we played the 76ers, I felt that Francis's ability and physical strength are actually greater than Iverson. Maybe he's lacks a bit of Iverson's instinct [flair, genius, god-given grace, oneness with the ether of the universe, Jedi Force? damn hard to translate "ling-qi"], but he is definitely one of the finest guards in the NBA. I don't want to discuss who's head-honcho. I'm just a rookie that's hardly played a quarter of a season. If anyone wants to say we've played well, I hope they talk about the "Yao Ming-Francis" combo.

YY: If you continue performing like this, you'll certainly get the Top Rookie award for December! [Rookie of the Month]

YM: Oh, top rookie? [laughes]

YY: The coming game against the Kings (12/11), do you still remember how you were schooled by Divac last time?

YM: Just wait and see! You saw the difference between the first and second time I played against the Spurs, and the first and second time against the 76ers, right? Well, this is the second time playing the Kings, and I can tell you that I know a couple of ways to handle Divac now. I won't lose to him this time.

--------------------------------- end article ---------------------

Confidence, determination, learning, humour, humility, candidness, team mentality. Houston, we've got a winner!

9. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I have to admit it. Heypartner is really a woman also! :D :D

10. dwen1

dwen1 Member

> --- In ************@yahoogroups.com, "mwtakeru312 <mwtakeru312@y...>"
    > <mwtakeru312@y...> wrote:
    > The following is an telephone interview appeared in Chinese
    > Yahoo's Yao Ming special (before the Kings match):
    >
    > Title: Don't think that you are plaing in NBA
    >
    > Q: You have 3 consequtive double double now, with only 27 min
    > played against the 76ers....
    >
    > A: MacColluch is slow and easy to deal with. Problem was my
    > affensive foul in the first quarter, which cut my play time,
    > but I think the referee made a mistake.
    >
    > Q: Don't be greedy (laugh), the referee is very nice to you
    > in general.
    >
    > A: I think so, and the referee is not treating me like a rookie.
    > I heard that referee typically will be very strict with a rookie.
    > When Bateer got here, he was ejected very often. It looks like
    > I fared better, maybe because I am friendlier. I heard when we
    > played Dallas, their coach was shouting to the referee:"You are
    > not treating him as a rookie, you are treating him as a star!".
    >
    > Q: So you think you'll be fine?
    >
    > A: (laugh..) not really, I feel fine not because of what the
    > referee did. When I began here, I thought that I'd better score
    > 2 point, that's better than 0. Now I don't have the same attitude,
    > which is to feel relax if I can score 2 points. I now know I
    > WILL score, not only just score, but HIGH score. Not only high
    > score, but many rebound, block, assists, I can do all that.
    > If I want, I'll do a hook shot, or a dunk, or a no-look pass,
    > then, I really feel great. That's the time I feel the court is
    > mine.
    >
    > Q: Did you feel that since the 30 points game with Dallas?
    >
    > A: Yes, just after that game. Do you remmeber in the second
    > quarter, I got a rebound with one hand over their center. I
    > had the feel after that rebound.
    >
    > Q: So we can say you had an experience.
    >
    > A: I don't know if I can call it that, but I had a feeling then.
    > I know there will be more Chinese playing here. I have already
    > talked about Tang ZhenDong and Yi JianLian. What I can tell
    > them is that, don't think you are playing in NBA. Dont think
    > this is what you have watched on TV when you are a kid, the
    > game that is out of this world. This is just basketball!
    > Perhaps they will face some pressure, for example, Yi, he
    > is now so hot in the media, but he is only at his first
    > year at CBA. I think his pressure is maybe higer than what
    > I feel when I played my first NBA.
    >
    > Q: Now you are a key factor in Houston, how do you deal with
    > the problem with Francis.
    >
    > A: I read some Chinese media talking about this. What I want to
    > say is that, no one should under-estimate Francis, just like
    > no-one should over estimate me. In yesterdays game against 76ers,
    > I felt his strength. His body strength is better than Everson,
    > but maybe not as smart. But he is definitely one of the best
    > guard in NBA. I don't want to talk about who is the big guy
    > in Houston. I only played a quarter of the season. If Houston
    > played well, I hope they say it is because "Yao-Francis" team.
    >
    > Q: If you carry on like this, you'll be the rookie of the year.
    >
    > A: Rookie of the year? (laugh...)
    >
    > Q: Next game you will face the Kings, do you remmember
    > how were you humiliated by Divac?
    >
    > A: Just wait and see. Did you see the difference between
    > my first game and the second game with Hornets, did
    > you see the difference between my first game and second
    > game with 76ers? Now I am playing the Kings the second
    > time, I can tell you I know how to deal with Divac, I will
    > beat him this time.

11. mikehf

mikehf New Member

I just read the interview between Yao Ming and the reporter. Some people may feel that Yao was too cocky @the interview. However, that is just because they didn't understand the background of Yao and the basketball in China.

It is actually a long and complicated story. :cool:

I still remember when I was a kid in China, there was no such thing called CBA. When I first time watched NBA from TV, I was just so shocked! What the heck!!! Is it REAL basketball game?!?!?!?!?! :eek:

Later on, after Dream Team I beat ALL other teams in Olympics, I believed all basketball fans in China know that THIS IS NBA! Although no any survey to prove me, but I know that for all basketball fans in China, playing in NBA is a dream, a legend. So the whole Chinese media was so loud and noicy when Yao Ming become the #1 pick in Draft 2002. :D

However, in our minds, NBA is too tough, and because of the poor performance of Wang Zhizhi (The first NBA player from China), Yao Ming did not have a lot of confidence when he came. This is why he said his first goal was just "2 points". All people should still remember the terrible performance of Yao Ming during his first week in NBA. I could never forget that when Yao Ming felt down on the court and a lot of people laughed at him on the bench. :mad:

Therefore, Yao Ming needs confidence. He needs confidence to grow up, and the Rox need confidence to be a complete team.

In the interview, as a big brother, Yao Ming encouraged the two kids that they should not be afraid of NBA. Just think about it is BASKETBALL and just have the confidence. (As mentioned in the interview, the two kids are Tang Zhengdong and Yi Jianlian. Both of them are talented, skilled and BIG centers in CBA. One is 17 & one is 16. Especially Yi, he joined CBA when he was almost 15. He is the youngest rookie ever in CBA. Damn it! don't know why his parents did not let him study.)

I belive the rockets marketing group love to see a cocky Yao Ming in front of Chinese media, because it will make him become a hero of China, a hero of Rockets. In this case, on the another side of the earth, rox will have 100 million more fans. No one can imagine how much profit will bring to the rox when they have 100 million more fans. (and the number of fans will increase very quickly in the next few years if th rox doing a good job.)

But Yao will be never over-confident. He is humble. Only if humble, he can learn quickly, work hard and grow. Like what Steve said that Yao is the first one in the gym, the last one leave. Always! (I forgot it is from CNN or ESPN, or TSN)

Anyway, talking too much. Take a rest. I can not wait to watch rox beat Grizzlies. :)

12. GreatProgrammer

oh yeah, what so i do if i want to delete my "mikehf" account? email the system adm?

13. GMNot

GMNot Member

Just a couple of cents...

Remember the article by Jonathan Feigen in the Chronicle after the Rockets lost to Seattle? The point that was made was that good, fundamental basketball is what beat the Rockets that night -- in spite of high-flying acrobatics and athletic marvels that our guards are capable of.

I think this was all that was being said in the interview nothing more and nothing less. Yao was only saying that what people in China see are what OUR media has fed them in the past -- highlight reel stuff. This, like the evening news, is what sells. All Yao and Jonathan Feigen are pointing out is that "ordinary" (meaning good, solid, fundamental basketball) will win over acrobatics.

A team can beat an individual every time. :)

14. erock3971

erock3971 New Member

I would have to agree. I don't think Yao was cocky in the article at all. Hey, he's just speaking the truth. He felt like Vladi wasn't going to beat him and he said it.

When asked about ROY, he had no comment. If he wanted to be cocky, he could have said, "ROY is no problem".

I know that's what I would have said!

In fact, I'm saying it now----I'm gonna be the ROY next year...all 5'6 of me!

:cool:

15. aznsexyboi

aznsexyboi Member

Hi guys,I'm new! GO YAO!:)

16. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

You guys remind me of a bunch of middle school boys....

...a woman posts here and you get all giddy like you've never
    met one... geeeshhhh...

:rolleyes:

Windandsee, I find it interesting that you lost faith in the Rockets after we had
    some bad games (with Yao) in the start.

In fact, you started to blame everyone except Yao. It really wasn't
    a blame issue, but a time issue...

I've seen this same issue with Griffin. He's young. Give him time.
    At least 3 years.

At least you've come to realize, after the fact, that Yao is the real deal.
    Just wait until he has a full training camp next season.

Remember: One of the cardinal sins to say at cc.net is that you wish that
    the Houston never drafted Yao, and that LA, Chicago, and NY were a better
    place for him. That's what it seemed like you were implying a while ago.

#136 DavidS, Dec 13, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2002