1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming: Francis is the best guard of NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by windandsea, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Glad to have you back as well, wind&sea. :)
    I wish some other sorely missed posters (like Popeye, Doc Rocket, thacabbage, etc.) would return.

Yao has turned it up, hasn't he? Wow! You've got to love the progress the Rockets are making as a team. The defense has become outstanding. Rockets/Defense... who would of thunk it? The only thing more amazing than that to me is Yao's play. If this trend continues we're going to make some noise this year. I'm reminded a little of when we went to the Finals against the Celtics in '86. Ralph Sampson was asked about coach Bill Fitch's 5 year plan for the team.

Ralph was basically quoted as saying- "**** the plan... we're gonna win THIS year!". I hope this team has that attitude. If they don't now, they seem to be developing it real fast.

2. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

3. RocketForever

Right my friend. Controversy is just what they need for publicity. The more people talk about them the better. That's the tactic of some magazines over there.

They would be smart enough not to make up anything outrageous and Ming would care less.

I don't know how many handlers he has back there? Did you count? How many?

Brain.

4. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Great to have you back W&S
    you where one of the greatest mysterys of the world (now you know my awnser Macbeth), atleast of this BBS. I'm glad that you are back.And with the kind of info you gave us,nobody cares what you're gender is.we believed you and wil always believe you.

5. Panda

Panda Member

What's there to doubt? The reporter Yang Yi is Yao's friend. Many Yao interviews brought up on this board in the past was written by this guy. If the reporter lies or exaggerates Yao's remarks it means suicide to his relationship with Yao, and termination of his exclusive interviews. Not a good deal at all.

6. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

No need to ask my count :D I'm just offering my opinion as a objective person can see. Controversy? There isn't any, mind you. Cus there is Yao Ming who can always shoot them down. You think Ming's people will allow the false interview on one of the largest newspaper in BeiJing, especially not concur with his image? you think with Yao Ming's marketing potential, his so called business team won't spend time collecting media coverage and protecting his images? His parants registered his name for brandname protection. :) Ming is now simply too big to make up things.

It's not like your daily coverage of "star gossip" column. They doesn't make you a career. But cover famous sports star like Yao Ming can actually make you a career in China. Just like that female reporter who covers China's soccor NT coach. No one reporter or editor in a big media in their right mind would allow a totally non-existent report go published. Guess yo would like to continue to interviewed by some guy make up your words in a ditrimental way? :p

Give it up.

BTW, my brain hurts at this time of the day, but its my job to shoot down those bogus speculations on this board. hah :D

#106 michecon, Dec 10, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2002
  7. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

I love it Phi - now that's the kind of talk I'd like to hear from Yao!

8. kelsey_tam

kelsey_tam Member

I think the reporter is trying to quote (or mis-quote to be exact) from Yao.
    Reporter: At this point, perhaps you've got some of the so-called experience.
    Yao : I dare not say it is experience, but most importantly it's a realization................. What i can tell them( chinese players) is that do not PLAY the game as if it's THE NBA game, as if something you saw on TV when you were a kid, something unreachable, basketball IS basketball..........."
    Then of course the reporter quoted " Don't think it as NBA" "it's going to be a lot of chinese player to come here and play, all i can tell them is, it's just a simple basketball game"

and the part about franchise, i don't kown but it seems Yao is saying that SF is less famous than AI, it may be a typo, i don't know, because "famous" and "spirit" are very similar in chinese and the word "spirit" are usually connected to ghost, God etc. So it made little sense for Yao to say "SF has less spirit than AI"

9. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Tam:
    English Chinese
    Famous: Ming qi
    Spirit: Ling qi

But "ling qi" also means smart/cleverness/imagination/free spirit/ etc. not sure about the perfect word for it. That's want YM was referring to.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

"Charisma" is probably the closest you can get for "ling qi"

BTW, michecon, I agree with you that this report is not likely to be fabricated (or I wouldn't have wasted my time trying to translate it:p ). And I know winandsea trusts the guy's source. For those of you who are in doubt, you can ask Yao about Yang Yi the next time he is chatting online.

11. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

wow MFW2310:

you're translation is really good. you even translated colloquial sayings in chinese to analogous saying in English. that's real impressive!! next time i might as well just read your translation.

yao ming is so funny... "don't overestimate me." i don't really see any other NBA player saying that.

oh so sunday I saw Andrew DeClerq at dinner (the Magic was in town for the Celts). Which reminded me... maybe Wang's not so bad after all.

windandsea for president!

12. RocketForever

I'm not gonna give up.

It's my mission to warn posters not to have the naive notion that everything fromthe media is real :D

#112 RocketForever, Dec 10, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2002
  13. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

wow, nice read on the thread also kinda cool to know that there are female members on this board. See? both sexes cant get enough of the Rocks!! How Awesome!!

Sorry ya'll.....oh yeah and W&S.....can u make me somethin too? Im at work and am starvin!!

14. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Windandsea...

Just read this thread over, and noticed that I had missed the original 'gender' revelation...Moreover, I had previously missed any of the gender 'debate' that was apparently surrounding you, windandsea, and if you have any spare time, I have a few questions...

1) What was the basis of you original reluctance to hide your gender? I know you said you were afraid of your perspective being discredited, but has that been your experience?

2) Has there been a noticeable change in the reaaction to your posts since you have clarified the issue?...um, aside from being asked to compare yourself with pictures of attractive Asian women...( Manny, you nut...):D

3) Do you expect there to be any difference in the future, having established your credibility, or do you think that gender will become an issue?

4) Do you feel that being Chinese was initially a source of your posts not being taken seriously, as many Americans think of basketball as 'Our game" in the same way that you suggested men do?

Thanks for your time, and if you can't spare it, thanks all the same...

15. Xiaoshu_Wang

Xiaoshu_Wang Member

Just find Clutchcity.net today. I am a Chinese so of course I would be a Rocket fan. I can't quite understand machine-translated article so I translated the interview again and hopefully I did a better job than machine.

Don't Take it as NBA
    ====================

Yang Yi: Three "double-double" in a row, but only 27 minutes against 76ers ...

Yao Ming: Big Mac is slow so it is quite easy for me. The key is my first offensive foul, which costs me a lot of PT. But I don't think I fouled on that one.

Yang Yi: can't be greedy. In general, Refs are quite generous to you.

Yao Ming: Agee. I don't think Refs treat me as a rookie either. I have always heard that Refs are tough on rookies. When Bateer first came, he fouled out pretty much on every game. They (refs) seemed treating me well. I guess people like me. Heard in Dallas game, Cuban complained about refs treating me like an All-star vet.

Yang Yi: That is how you get your confidence?

Yao Ming: Hehe, I don't think you can gain confidence from Refs. In the first few games, all I thought was to get two points to feel relieved. But now, I no longer think it that way. I know I can score and a lot. In addition to score, I can also get rebound, block, assist, and many others. Everytime to make a play, a baby hook, a slam dunk, or a nifty pass, it is such a great feeling. At that moment, you know the game is in your hands.

Yang Yi: This feeling or the love for the game, does it start from the 30 pts you got in Dallas?

Yong Ming: Well, it is the next game - against Cavs. Do you remember in the second quarter when I grabed a rebound - one hand, over the head of Ilgauskas? It is at that moment.

Yang Yi: Right now, I think you probably already have gained some experience, don't think?

Yao Ming: I can't say it is the experience I gained. But I believe the feel (of the whole NBA experience) is the most important. I don't know if there will be more Chinese coming overseas and I have talked to Rocket's Management about Hu Weidong and Yi Jianlian. What I can tell them (any other Chinese players) is this: Don't think it as an NBA game, which you watched since your childhood and take it as a dream coming true ... Just treat it as a basketball game. Of course, there will be some pressure. Like Yi Jianlian. Medias are all over him since he is a small kid. Now, it is his first year in CBA. I think he carries more pressure in his first CBA game than my first NBA game.

Yang Yi: Now the timing should be good for you to take to Francis? (I don't understand this question, it seemed that Chinese media has some bias against Francis, which I have no idea. I guess maybe they think Francis took too many shots and throw less to Yao.)

Yao Ming: I heard there are a lot of talks (about Francis) in China. But what I want to say is that no one should underestimate Francis just like no one should overestimate me. Yesterday, when we played 76ers. I think Francis is better than Iverson, especially his body strength. Iverson seems just a bit more creative. I belive Francis is one of the best point guard in the league. And I don't even what to talk about who is the "Franchise". I am just a rookie who played a quarter of a season. If anyone wants to give us praise, I would like them to credit "Ming-Francis" combined.

Yang Yi: If you continue playing like this, you should get the Rookie of the Year.

Yao MIng: ROY? Hmm...hmmm....hmm...

Yang Yi: Next game vs Kings. Do you still remmeber get beat by Divac last game?

Yao Ming: You just got to wait and see. You saw the difference between my first game and second game playing spurs. You also saw the difference between my first game and second game playing 76ers, don't you. Now it is the second time playing Kings. I will just tell you this. I have figured out how to handle Divac. Belive me, won't lose to him this time.

16. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

Jag,

1) I didn't intent to hide my gender at the beginning. It wasn't an issue to me.
    2) Some fans began to guess my gender after I post many Yao Ming's news here. A few of them thought that I might be a woman. Most of the others denied it and said only men could provide such "professional" thoughts like what I brought to here.From then on, I found maybe people trust male fans more. So I didn't clarify my gender.
    3) Race is not a problem to me. I said I am a Chinese at the first time I came here.
    4) Since Yao Ming has been in Houston I don't need to do so many translation or other work as what I did in the past six months. I think the credibility of my future posts will be not that important to me and to other fans. I just want to enjoy my time and don't want to be called "gay" or "He". That's the reason I think it's the time to say "I am a woman."

17. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Thank you very much for the answers...I wasn't impying that you should have done A or should not have done B, I just thought that it was an interesting occurence...I agree that the assumption that you must be female by virtue of the 'professional' perspective you gave was silly, obviously ill-founded, and a legitimate motivation for not clarifying the issue. Thanks again for your response, looking forward to speaking with you more in the future as a fellow fan.

Peace,
    JAG

18. ruddy

ruddy Member

Windsea.............uhmmm and what about that pic????????????
    ;)

19. ruddy

ruddy Member

ouchhh i meant windandsea:D my bad.:rolleyes:

20. Yao1134

Yao1134 Member

im so happy the rox beat the kings! id say steve is the best guard in the league. and yao ming is the best center

soon every one who watches the nba will see rings back in houston.

go YAO AND STEVE!