1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming: Francis is the best guard of NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by windandsea, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Of course not... you haven't added to the bbs like windandsea has. :p

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

I think windandsea should be renamed to Tripitaka

Who was a character in the series called Monkey and no one every knew what Gender she was??????

3. dawn1126

dawn1126 New Member

This is the center of Shanghai Women Basketball team and I heard some rumors saying that she is Yao's girlfriend.:)
    Notice the red string on Yao's wrist? That is from his gf.

4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Man, who would of thunk it?? This is like the revelation that "shanna" (now Major) is actually a guy and not a girl!

BTW, windandsea, do you look like this?;)

[​IMG]

#84 Manny Ramirez, Dec 9, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2002
  5. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Yao. That'll put some wind in your sea.

6. coolpet

coolpet Member

anyone girl here is still single? :D

7. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

WTF????!!!! How the hell did Yao turn the Rox into an online dating service?

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's what happens when you get too many senior members in the Rockets Forum. :)

9. declan32001

declan32001 Member

W&S, I am grateful for your presence here and greatly respect your posts, please don't think my comments have anything to do with you.

Er, many of the NBA pundits have been merciless to Yao Ming, and inexplicably some were still in denial before the S.A. game. They've been a little quiet since, but I've got an alarm going off in my head here.

The "clarifications" made me feel better and I have no problem believing them to be correct. But doesn't it seem logical that as Yao continues to progress it's only a matter of time before a major American medium goes with a translation from some guy with a Ph.D. in Chinese language arts that swears "this is what he said"? It may be no different than what American athletes have had to endure from the media, but misinterpretation seems as inevitable as a Yao backlash from those who have egg covering their entire body.

I guess I'm surprised that I haven't thought about this before - the language barrier thing w/ Yao himself didn't seem too likely to be fodder for American writers who are more likely than any other "Western" writers to speak only one language, and besides Yao seems as sharp off the court as on it - but the translations from what may be printed in a major Chinese newspaper - argh. I distrust our sports media's ability to discern fact from an interview conducted in Mandarin with equal reservations I might have about the Chinese media source. I just hope it doesn't happen while Yao's a rookie. It will be a lot easier to laugh off next year. For him and me too.

10. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Welcome back Pat. :p

Go Rockets!! :)

11. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I wouldn't be surprised if this so-called 'interview' was written according to the imagination of the journalist.

12. Arnel

Arnel Member

I dunno if the interview is real or not, but like most of you, I also love the confidence,, that is, if he backs it up,,hehe, I hava a feeling he will.. man this season is becoming more and more fun :)..

13. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

No, I'm not worried a bit--well if they can hire a translator at least as decent as Colin Pine. :D

In all seriousness, this is not trash talking. This is Yao Ming talking to himself to evaluate how he should do on the court and boot his confidence on court. More importantly, he is talking to the young NBA-aspired big-man talent in China. HE mentioned the name, Tang zhendong and Yi Jianlian. The title "don't treat it as NBA" means don't treat it as something you can not comprehand, something you watch only on TV and worship as a little child in China. You still need to approach teh game in yoru own way, treat it as plain bascketball. Otherwise you will not "get it".

Isn't it not true? Isn't it at least part of the reason he can adjust to NBA in such a fast pace?

Rocketfan85 once said "read the whole article", now imagine the added barrier of language traslation. :p

As for his comments about Steve's game. It's candid and to the point. He said Steve is better than AI in body strength and some other aspects, but *maybe* a bit lacking in his sense/imagination on the court. He said steve is one of the best G in the NBA. All true.

14. michecon

btw, fyi, Yangyi was the regular Yao Ming writer, and he does have regular contact with Yao. He might "touched up" language, who knows. Actually, Yao Ming knows. :D He surf the web, and certainly read Chinese Newspaper, such as BJ Youth. If the thing said is too far from what he said..........

Brain people.

15. CoPilot

CoPilot Member

Welcome back W&S we all look forward to your most insitefull post as you have a very very good Knowladge of this sport, Yao and China

and by the way we ALL enjoy your post so PLEASE dont stay away that long again ...PLZS PLZS PLZS......:cool:

16. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

lol! All you base are belong to us!
    … and for old times’ sake
    http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/AYB2.swf :D

And welcome back W&S. I missed your posts.

17. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I did use my brain to come to the conclusion that the 'interview' might be fake. That conclusion was made based on the impression I got after reading the whole 'interview'. It is still my personal opinion anyway. I also didn't know Yangyi is the 'regular' Yao Ming writer. So I guess everything he writes must be real.

Ming is currently so busy with his NBA schedule. He still has more than 60 games to play before the end of the regular season. He is still learning the X and O on the fly and spending time in the weight room. At the same time he is also learning a new language and a new culture. I doubt he would hold a press conference to deny what they said unless it was really outrageous.

#97 RocketForever, Dec 10, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2002
  18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps you should stop comparing your daughter's basketball knowledge to Ass Men.

19. michecon

It's much easier my friend. Just deny his access for those (almost exclusive) scoops/interviews on Yao Ming. That will just kill the guy's career.

he is a young reporter at the same age of Ming, without his leverage on access to "insider" reporting of Yao Ming, the guy is nobody. Now tell me if you are Yang yi, what would you do?

Or, one phone call to another reporter Yao Knows well about the mis-reporting. That rival newspaper will have a field day. (Yao Ming has all the incentive to just do that if he thinks it's not the kind of image he wants to project.)

On a similar note, even if Ming missed the article himself, do you know how many handler he has?

Brain.

#99 michecon, Dec 10, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2002
  20. ty185

ty185 Member

just feeling obliged to welcome W&S back. man... we are experience such a joy as if rockets secured playoff spots already here. :D

I kinda trust this yangyi guy -- or trust the beijing youth daily -- one of the better reputated paper I know in china. -- but, but -- isn't yangyi the one who first reported Shaq waited outside of the team bus to greet ming after the lakers game as well? or I confused the writer up a bit? :(

anyways, welcome back W&S. and be sure to stay! :)