1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming: Francis is the best guard of NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by windandsea, Dec 9, 2002.

1. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

DOUBLE :D :D

2. JING

JING Contributing Member

LOL, machine translation of this part is damn readable and accurate.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Thanks, windandsea..also, thanks ruyun5, but it's a bit hard to understand everything from that...however, it seems like Yao is being a bit cocky...saying he will not lose to Divac a second time in a row...I like it :).

Great 1000th post, windandsea...the fact that you are a woman also explains you saying that Yao Ming is "cute" :).

Thanks also KnoxRocketsFan!

#23 AroundTheWorld, Dec 9, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2002
  4. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Thx for the text, ruyun...

but why do i feel like something's lost in translation?

:D :D :D

5. zenithnadir

zenithnadir Member

Windandsea, its so good to see you back! I just started surfing clutch city a while back for news about houston and Yao Ming's progression. I always knew to look for your posts for the best news. I was really worried when you stoped posting.

I'm Chinese American and will be studying in China for at least half a year... soon i will be able to surf the chinese websites and take off some of your work :)

6. cujo

cujo Member

first,Wecome back W&S! I love Yao's confidence. I remember him wanting to play Seattles center to redeem himself, but the guy was injured. Now, Divac. I can't wait to see the rematch.

7. sun12

sun12 Member

I don't think that's the actual interview text. The reporter must have faked a lot of them.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

That girl looks so young; I would be surprised if she had a daughter already...

9. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Thx for the text, ruyun...

but why do i feel like something's lost in translation?
    Yao sounds like a totally different guy. Hmmmm Colin is his translator. Any chance Colin boy is filtering things before the media? Hmmmm

Hypothetically,

Yao: "I look forward to crushing the Queenies."

translation
    Colin: "Yao looks forward to embracing the Kings as friends."

:D :D :D

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Nice one :D.

11. sun12

sun12 Member

You are funny, how can Colin do the translation for him? Yao does not need a translator to talk to a Chinese reporter!

Anyway, I think the report is a fake. Many reporters in China might just write stuffs without even talking to Yao.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

:D LMAO!!!! :D :D :D :cool: :D :D

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I told you so.;)

14. li_chen18

li_chen18 Contributing Member

About the Francis part:

He said what he wants to point out is, Francis is definitly one of the best guards in the NBA. He even thinks that Francis is even better than AI, according to Francis's performance against the 76ers Saturday night (Am I wrong with the date?)

As for his relationship with Francis, he says he's only a rookie compared to Francis. If people want to ask him who plays better, He would prefer they say both of them are good players and, he would be very happy if people think that it is "the Francis - Yao Ming conbination" that makes good performances

Sorry I'm too busy with my finals. Somebody else please try to translation the whole ariticle. I think this inverview is a very good one that would definitely interest all the Rox fans.

15. zenithnadir

zenithnadir Member

here is a rough translation of some choice selects from the interview. this is what 2 years of college chinese, 4 months in beijing, and zhongwen.com :)

"When I first started I thought 'First score two points today and then see,' but now I know I can definitely score, and I know I can also do a lot more."

"Later there will be more Chinese who come here to play basketball. What I can tell them is this -- This is just normal basketball."

Reading the rest of it.. it sounds Yao Ming has really found his confidence and he promises to do more! He closes by saying he has figured out Divac and that he won't get schooled again!

16. KnoxRocketsFan

I don't think this one is a fake. The reason why Yao Ming appears like a totally different person is he might know that reporter very well. Their conversation is just like casual chat. And what brings people think he is a little cocky is probabaly because of the title "Don't treat NBA as NBA" What he really means is don't take NBA as seriously as it appears. Yao Ming respects NBA a lot even before he came to Rockets.

I think Yao ming has already grasped the feeling of NBA. He is playing under less pressure game by game. Anyway, machine translation sucks.... Seriously, I think it's time for clutch to hire someone (or volunteer) who can translate chinese articles accurately.

17. Uprising

hmmm...still.. to me, this doesn't sound anything like the Yao I have been listening to the last month.
    I wouldn't doubt if this was a fake interview.
    He sounds too confident and aggressive.
    ...not like the humble guy of the NBA.

18. zenithnadir

zenithnadir Member

bjyouth daily is a pretty big paper. I dont' think they would write a fake article

19. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

I guess Yao is talking a little trash. All translated by me, not some online machine ****:

18 pts 12 boards downed the 76ers, averaging 20.3 pts and 12.3 boards in the 3 recent games, Yao Ming is not only the hottest rookie in December, but also has stats only behind Shaq in all NBA centers. On the other side of the ocean, it's still night in Houston, a bit of excitement is hidden in the calm voice of the first overall pick.

Yang Yi (reporter, YY): 3 straight double double, only 27 mins in the game against Philly

YM: MacColluh moves pretty slow, he's easier to play against. The problem is that offensive foul in the 1st, it made me played a lot less, but I think I didn't foul on that play

YY: Don't be greedy,overall, the ref was good to you.

YM: I admit, you can say the ref doesn't treat me like a rookie. I heard before that the refs would deal with you like a rookie. When Bateer just cam here, he seems to foul out all the time, but for me it wasn't like this. Maybe it's because I'm more popular. I heard in the Dallas game Mavs owner Cuban was beside the court yelling at the ref: "he's a rookie, you are treating him like a legend."

YY: So you feel more comfortable now right?

YM: Being comfortable is not cause of the ref. When I first started I thought I should get 2pts first, after getting 2pts I won't be blanked. But now I don't have that kind of low expectations. I know I can get pts, not only pts, but a lot of pts. I can also get boards, blocks, assists, I can do many other things. When I get off a good hook shot or a dunk, when I make a good pass, I feel good. I know then that this court belongs to me.

YY: Did this comfort, or maybe say enjoyment, come after the 30 pt night against Dallas?

YM: Actually it's against the Cavs. You remember, in the 2nd quarter I got a board with my right hand, on top of Ilgauskas. From the moment I caught the ball, the feeling started.

YY: From that moment, maybe you got some so called experience?

YM: I don't know if its experience, the most important thing is that kind of a feeling. I know more Chinese will come to play ball her after me. I told the Rox owner about Tang Zhengdong and Yi Jianlian. What I can tell them, don't play the game as if it's NBA. Don't think this what you saw on TV since you were a kid, the flashy and mountain like game, this is plain and simple basketball. Maybe they will face some pressure, like Yi Jianlian, being hailed by the media so early when this is only his first year playing in the CBA. The pressure on him is probably no less than when I played my first game in the NBA.

YY: Now that you've reached this point, is it time to face the Francis problems?

YM: I saw what some media in China say, but I want to say, nobody should underestimate Francis, just not nobody should overestimate me. When I played the 76ers yesterday, I thought his skills, his strength is stronger than Iverson. Maybe his basketball sense is not as good as Iverson, but he is definitely one of the best guards in the NBA. I don't want to talk about who's team this is, I'm only a rookie that played a quarter of the games this season. If anybody says we played well, I want them to say the "Yao Ming - Francis" combination.

YY: If you keep playing like this, no doubt you will be rookie of the month in December.

YM: Rookie of the month, hehe

YY: Next game is against the Kings, you still remember how Divac toyed with you last time?

YM: You just wait and see. You saw the difference the first and second time I played the Spurs, the difference the first and second time I played the 76ers. This is the second time I play the Kings. Let me tell you, I already know how to deal with Divac, this time I won't lose to him again.

20. Uprising

alright, see I havent heard of them...and so I didnt know the source. well, I guess he does feel more comfortable being interviewed by a fellow chinnese. And, well, I guess that's the real Ming, and He hasnt shown that here yet, and I guess he wasnt expecting people in hosuton to be talking about it...or anywhere else that is. (USA)