1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming Fits In Well in the New Adelman Systems

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Oct 18, 2007.

1. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

I think our Big Fella is gelling in quickly into his new role and the new Rick Adelman systems.

What do you guys think?

19 points (8/11 FG% 3/4 FT%), 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks, 3 turnovers, ZERO fouls in 20+ some minutes of play....

Extrapolate that into his usual 35+ minutes of play.......and what will you get??? :eek: :D :cool: :p

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

TOs are my biggest concern.

3. abcdef

abcdef Member

I wasn't thrilled with the fact that even though DARVIN HAM was guarding him, they kept going to Yao at the high post. This had better not happen when the games actually count. If a team puts a midget on Yao like that he needs to park his butt in the low post and abuse that defender.

His numbers are good, but he got them against Brandon Bass and Darvin Ham. I would be concerned if his numbers didn't look good.

4. irlu

irlu Member

go go go yao yao yao :p

5. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Adelman's no dummy. Yao knows the low post. He needs work in the high post in the preseason. It's encouraging (but not surprising) that Yao looks this good in the high post. Against better quality/starting quality defenses, let's see if Yao's turnovers go up when pressured.

6. dedong22

dedong22 Member

i'm a little disappointed that they didnt let scola have the ball in the high post more when yao was out, he got so much more than just a simple screen... and also our guards still look confused out there alot of the time, but turnovers down a little bit

7. tsunami

tsunami Member

if only Yao could reduce his TOs.

8. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

I guess now they are just working out their new system, getting a feeling of the flow, basically preparing themselves. I won't read too much into that. When the season starts and when Yao is guarded by scrubs, I am pretty sure they will go to yao down low. Adleman is not that dumb not to use the biggest mismatch that he has.

9. liangqj

liangqj Member

The writer is so excited after this preseason game.

10. Fuse

Fuse Member

Actually Yao has been getting better and better looks down low because he is playing within the offense. Just that the offense starts in the high post doesn't mean it ends there. There were a couple of variations where the cutter cuts back out to get the ball and for Yao to post up after handing it off to his man. They ran the play for Bonzi too and it worked pretty well. Its all about the shot at the end, not necessarily where you start the offense.

11. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

One of Yao's turnovers was from the jumpball (vs Brandon Bass) at the end of 1st quarter. Actually Yao already tipped the ball to Mike James' direction, but James was unprepared and he kind of fumbled a little. The ball was subsequently stolen by Dallas. The turnover should have gone to James, who would've had 4 turnovers for the night to go along with his 2 assists.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't had a chance to follow much of pre-season but I'm pretty excited about seeing what Yao can do in Adelman's systems. I'm looking forward to seeing Yao live up to the great promise that he had early in his career of creative passes and playing in the high post. Pair that with his great low post play and he will be nearly unstoppable.

13. YallMean

YallMean Member

relax. Preseason games dont count. Ever heard practice new system under new coach in the preseason games?

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Even Marcus Camby can't stop that 20-ft jump shot though. Adelman must have salivating all over his couch this summer thinking about what a 7"6 guy WHO SHOOTS HIS TEAM'S TECHNICALS could do with open looks. The funniest one was when they faked the give-n-go to T-Mac and the two Dallas defenders ran into each other and Yao just stuck it from the top of the key.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I could care less if he shot from half court as long as he makes more than half of them. Two points is two points except when its three.

16. daernoth

daernoth Member

I was thinking the same thing. Once Yao came out the guards were just passing the ball to each other. Not using Scola in the high post is a huge waste of talent. He is a great passer and should be more than a screener.

Hopefully this will be corrected as the season goes on but it worries me that our shoot-first point guards will get into the bad habit of ignoring him.

17. mister pc

mister pc Member

Yao has the best mid range game out of every center in the NBA.

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    Oh really?

19. allforone

allforone Member

I'm betting .....As season goes on , with some losses and Yao's FTs go a little bit lower .....we will hear words like soft , consistency .........

It is only one game , and dont make premature predictions.......post-up and jumpers....u never know which fits more ....
    and I am only expecting a healthy Yao& the whole crew and a thrilling season ;)

20. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

well compared to how miller was playing last season, I agree. I'm not hating on Brad Miller. His J used to be money. But last season he lost my confidence in his shot.