1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming Destined to play for Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DUCK2324, Oct 20, 2002.

1. DUCK2324

DUCK2324 Contributing Member

I remember when Drexler took over UofH coaching job. One of his biggest recruits was Yao Ming. He wanted to go to college here in Houston but he was not able to get released from China and now he is HOUSTON ROCKET. :D

2. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

That would have been ironic if he played at UH and then we drafted him #1...

3. DUCK2324

Could you imagine the comparison between Hakeem and Yao if that would of happened. His entire career would of been in his shadows!!!

4. Allstarmobley

Allstarmobley Member

I find this VERY hard to believe. I am a UH alumni (1997)and have regularly kept tabs on the BBall program especially while Clyde was coach. I never heard this rumor.

5. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

6. Truth

Truth Member

Damn that oppression!

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

So I guess Yao Ming really did know want to come to Houston all along. Take that big market cities.:mad:

8. DUCK2324

I believe if I remember correctly that was the same class as alton ford that would have been a very good team if he would have come over.

9. timm

timm Member

rockbox, we are a big city!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think the Chinese cheated us out of at least one more trophy there.....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Big city doesn't necessarily mean big market. In baseball San Francisco is obviously a big city, but it's not considered a big market team.

11. JamesC

JamesC Member

I think he would've come the year before Alton. In '99

12. Panda

Panda Member

Yao has been a professional player since 17, why in the hell the should the CBA let him go without getting a CBA trophy first? Besides, if he'd come to Houston earlier, he could've declared eligible for the draft last year and ended up in Jordan's hands. He had a remark to the effect of:" Kwame Brown and the last draftee should treat me, for my absence gave them their spots in the draft." In hindsight it's the CBA that delayed Yao's departure for a year, which coincided with Rockets stealing the No.1 pick. Empirically the CBA has done good to the Rocks. Guys, just be thankful for Rocket's incredible fortune to land a talent like this and enjoy the ride!