1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming can start the All-Star game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketman15, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Rocketman15

Rocketman15 Member

Yao is only 9,000 votes behind Shaq if we want him to start we have to start voting.

Yao
    Garnett
    Duncan
    Kobe
    Franchise

Two Starting Rockets All-Stars there is a good possibility

2. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

3. WNBA

WNBA Member

Why vote Kobe?:confused: :confused: :confused: :mad: :mad: :mad:

4. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

All true Rocket fans should go vote for Shaq who is, without a doubt, much better than Yao. It would be robbery if Shaquille did not start, and I wouldn't want Yao to be subjected to the revenge that Shaquille would inflict upon him if he stole it from him. I don't consider Shaq to be the most emotionally stable person in the league, and don't want to see a Robinson vs O'neal thing develop.

If Chinese voters put Yao in the starting position in the West then the NBA should move to a coaching or press ballot. There simply aren't enough games televised in China for the fans there to actually evaluate who is the best player. The voters might not have ever seen Shaquille play.

5. gowithwind22

gowithwind22 Member

keep voteing every day. man! all-star is kinda of money talking staff. It will be the market critria for business. If we can make ming starter. he will get a lot of respect from NBA and ref. Rox can take advantage of that.

VOTE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Timing

Timing Member

Thanks for telling all of the true Rockets fans what they must do. We appreciate it. :rolleyes:

7. wayne312

wayne312 Member

You made a very good point, but fans don't decide who's the best player, we only vote for who we wanna see playing. I think that's the point of letting fans vote for the lineups in part, and I think that's the meaning of the all star game.
    Best player whoever it is belongs to MVP which we don't decide.

8. New Jack

New Jack Member

Shaq's better than Yao, but I don't know about MUCH better. I certainly don't think the gap between the two is that huge that it would be a travesty if Yao started over him. So far Shaq has sat out most of the first half and even with him there, the team is sucking. Yao, on the other hand, has led Houston to wins over some of the best teams in the league, and the 3rd best record in the west.

9. Raven

Raven Member

Well let's look at this from another angle. Yes, "when healthy" Shaq is a monster, but the truth is that SO is not playing that much better than YM right now. Now if SO wasn't playing hurt, he'd rip YM a new one, but the old Shaq is so nothing more than a memory, and the new "hurt" Shaq is playing sloppy defense, and hasn't shown the ability to take over games. This was going to happen eventually. Shaq always played overweight, and he's not a kid any more either. The only valid question is who is playing the best this year, not for the last 10 years.

Raven

10. sol705

sol705 Member

Shaq is a big fat lazy guy who would sit out the All Star game whenever he feels like it, or if es too busy making another lousy rap album. Why vote for a guy who clearly doesn't care what the fans think of him, since he sits out everything. Heck, he would probably sit out the regular season if he could, he is a non skilled, big fat bulldozer who wouldnt last more than 20 minutes in a game if the refs grew some cojones and actually called offensive fouls once in a while. A vote for Sahq is a wasted vote, he doesnt think enough of the fans to grace our requests for an All Star appearance, to him it's just another game that he doesn't get paid for.

11. tsl99

tsl99 Member

no doubt O'Neal is better player now, but Yao is our favorite player. WHICH ONE to vote? I'll vote my favorite player.

12. sol705

sol705 Member

BTW, very well put Ravem. My sentiments exactly!

13. Raven

Raven Member

Ok I just went to NBA.COM and pulled down the officials stats

Shaq

min 36.1
    points 26.3 = 1 point every 1.37 min
    rebounds 10.6 = 1 rebound every 3.4 min
    blocks 2.07 = 1 block every 17.43

YM

min 25.2
    points 12.7 = 1 point every 1.98 min
    rebounds 7.7 = 1 rebound every 3.27 min
    blocks 1.92 = 1 block every 13.1 min

Or put it another way. Here are YM projected stats if he played similar min to Shaq

min 36.1
    points 18.23
    rebounds 11.03
    blocks 2.75

Also keep in mind that YM total season stats include his crummy first month, when he was getting garbage min and no help from SF or CM. If you look at the Dec YM verses the Dec Shaq, and take into account Shaq gets 10 min more a game, then I honestly don't think a hurt Shaq is all that much better than an improving YM.

Raven

14. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

When any league makes it 100% fan voting, it's going to be who the fans want, not who deserves it. Hell, Vince Carter and Grant Hill are starters in the East. It's never going to be about who deserves it. It's a question of would you rather undeserving players of other teams, or undeserving records?

Also, despite Shaq's numbers, I don't know if he honestly deserves to start in the All-Star game. You'd think with two of the top five players in the league he could lead his team to a record of above .500... or a simple road win, for that matter.

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Undeserving of ours, rather. Not sure where records came from.

16. basketball

basketball Contributing Member

The voting will end January 12, 2003. So, we have thre more weeks to vote. I think there is a chance Yao can pass Shaq in the voting. Because of his position being 2nd to Shaq in the vote, all the people that want to see Yao play will more likely to vote now.

17. cas

cas Member

they didn't say you have to vote for the best center, so of course everyone voted their favorite.

i'm sure all the kings fans voted for vlade, the clips fans voted for kandi, etc, even though they knew shaq was better.

18. darin1998

darin1998 Member

I think All-Star games should be based on merit. And this season neither Shaq nor the Lakers have shown anything. Yao and The Rockets are playing very well. Therefore, if things stay the same, Yao should start over Shaq based on this year. If Shaq and Lakers started to play like they can, then, yes, Shaq should start.

-d

19. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Who thinks we can go further into the playoffs with Yao than with Shaq?

I would rather have Yao on my team, because I don't like Shaq, but I don't think for a second that Yao would take us further than Shaq if the playoffs started today.

20. napster

napster Member

Heh. I'm just wondering..are you guys fans of Yao Ming first, basketball second?