1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming back in 2 weeks according to this

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by forenzi, Jan 24, 2006.

1. forenzi

forenzi Contributing Member

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/art/2006/01/25/237856/Yao_hopes_to_make__a_quick_return.htm

Yao hopes to make a quick return
    Zhou Zuyi
    2006-01-25 Beijing Time
    YAO Ming is itching for a return to the basketball courts while bemoaning the poor run of form of the Houston Rockets in the NBA.

"I am not resting here doing nothing ... I am reviewing the team's tactics everyday," Yao told Shanghai TV's PowerSports program.

"I have to be back in top form as soon as I return and cannot afford to miss out on the team's strategy. I expect to return very soon, probably in a couple of weeks time, and help out the team."

Yao, a Shanghai native, is nursing a nagging foot injury since December.

Lamenting the ill luck affecting the team, Yao commented in a lighter vein: "I really should suggest to the coach to take the entire team to some temple and pray between the games.

" I have never faced this kind of situation in my past three years at the NBA and our team therapist says he had never run into such a huge injury list in the last decade.

"We have to fight hard for victories even when all of us are fit ... you can imagine how much the team is stretched right now."

Rockets, tipped as a favorite to win the championship before the season opened last November, is now struggling in the West Conference. They have been crippled by a series of injuries to their star players like Tracy McGrady and Bob Sura besides Yao.

At one point, the number of players on the injured list rose to as many as seven that clearly affected their run to the playoffs.

On Monday, McGrady returned to thump in 41 points against the Milwaukee Bucks to snap Houston's seven-game losing streak.

The full Yao Ming interview will be aired at 9:00am tomorrow morning on Dragon TV.

2. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

I think this is an outdated report. I think I read the chinese version of this article quite a few days back. This article was written way before the published date.

3. droxford

droxford Member

Yeah - I was just thinking... didn't we hear the "two weeks" response 14 days ago?

4. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Well, the report certainly has the lastest news on the most recent game played by Rockects -- the victory over Bucks on Monday. However, without the link to any previous version of the similar Yao's-planning-on-coming-back story (alleged by barryxzz) and the exact interview date with Yao in this article, we still don't know one way or anther.

5. paxil

paxil Contributing Member

I think the report is recent since it quote the last game on Monday. But where are the words 2 weeks or 14 days in the report? :confused:

6. droxford

droxford Member

It was 19 days ago that espn reported Yao as saying he will be back in 2 - 3 weeks (link).

If we are to go by that original statement, we should see him return very soon - either tomorrow (vs. CHA), Friday (vs. MIN), Sunday (vs. MIA) or Monday (vs. MEM).

Personally I think he's intending to be back for the game against Miami.

7. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Fair point but the losing streak was snapped against Chicago on Saturday. Minor error maybe?

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Well the Chinese New Year is on Sunday (according to the calendar on my desk ;) )...and Yao's mom said he would be back by then...can't argue with Mom! ;)

.....and you have to believe Yao would love to play Shaq on Sunday!

9. droxford

droxford Member

Yeah! I'd like to see him play on Friday against Minn. just to shake off the cobwebs a little and be ready for the Heat.

10. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

sportsradio 610 said do not be suprised to see yao on the court wed.. if he is playing not sure. last night bill kind of made reference to this when he said wait and see what player we get back wed.

11. paxil

paxil Contributing Member

Any additional updates? Anxious.

12. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I'm just glad his return is imminent. This season has been such a nightmare...

13. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

[​IMG]