1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao is high maintenance

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sun12, Mar 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. sun12

sun12 Member

Yao needs the right person to pass him the ball in the right time and spot, it is just difficult. Yao needs a rebounder to rebound the ball as he is not a great rebounder. Yao can not play lots of minutes as he could get tired in the fourth quarter. Yao has to play during the summer for the national team.

So he is high maintenace. It might work out for the Rox eventually, but high maintenance costs money and the right personnel, and it is difficult.

2. fmp087

fmp087 Member

That's great, most elite players are high maintenance.

3. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

Thought they said he was done with that now?

4. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

By high maintenance, do you mean he is a CENTER in the nba after they changed the illegal defence rule to make it easy to deny the ball to low post players?

I think you have been spoiled too long by having Yao on this team. If Marbury was on this team, I wonder what some of you would say.

5. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

He doesn't mean Yao's personality. He's clearly the most sefless, hardest working guy around. Bad wording on the OP's part.

I think the point is that for Yao to succeed, conditions around him have to be completely favorable, as controlled by those around him. He has to have a shooting big man next to him. He has to have the pass thrown perfectly to him to even have a chance.

The point is he doesn't really control his own destiny. And when he fails, his apologists point the finger at his teammates. Who else in the league has to have the ball pinpointed to them at an exact location to even have a chance of getting it? That's fine - he's a great player to have on your team. But stop treating him like a superstar because you're going to end up disappointed.

6. rice

rice Contributing Member

yao needs to really start attacking the double team. he hesitates too much and end up getting himself trapped, and the ball picked off.

he needs to be selfish and have that 'I dominate' mentality!

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This last game just underscored why Kobe is a front line superstar and why Yao is a second tier star in this league.

8. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Bipolar fans are high maintenance, that's a clinically proven fact. :p

9. jfbradley1985

jfbradley1985 Member

my thoughts exactly. i know for a fact that this post would never exist if we won the game, yet the the guy makes it seem like hes been thinking this all career long.

you fail, this topic fails, now leave.

10. Purvis2Short

Purvis2Short Member

People keep thinking this is a knee/jerk response but we keep seeing the samething over and over again with this team vs a good team and we fail miserably...They need to try something different because Yao should not be the focus on offense during the 4th quarter...I love it when they point out he only took a few shots.....Superstars want the ball and find a way to command the balll.....why give you the ball when you are playing like a you don't want it...I have alot of respect for Yao but he is what he is against good teams

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Win or lose, I always considered Yao high maintenance.

It is much, much harder to take advantage of Yao's strengths than it is to take advantage of, say, Dwyane Wade's or Chris Paul's strengths. But if you can figure out how to do it, he's a terrific weapon to have.

12. Purvis2Short

Purvis2Short Member

Agreed!

13. sidewider26

sidewider26 Member

So predicatable...

Just trade Yao, please, for whoever you think is better than him, I suppose you'd be overwhelmed how much choices you would have. :rolleyes:

14. RedGlare07

RedGlare07 Member

He certainly struggled with that in the second half last night. When he wasn't losing post position against Gasol, he was waiting a second or two until the double team arrived and then other times he failed to recognize the Lakers' tactic of bringing the double from the backside.

15. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

hahaha, ok, rook who joined in february 2009. I'm sure everybody is gonna listen to you. You got anything to say on the topic?

Yao is a star, not a superstar. Nothing wrong with that. You just have to realize that or you're gonna be sorely disappointed. I mean, what other superstar needs an environment completely in his favor just to be somewhat effective in the nba?

16. jonjon

jonjon Contributing Member

Yao Ming is a dominate big man. But when the defense tightens up, it becomes close to impossible to get him the ball. There is almost no margin of error for entry passes to him.

The entry pass should not have to be an art or a science... It just makes the game overly difficult when it shouldn't have to be.

We need a closer, plain and simple. Sometimes running plays, "team work," and hoping to get the ball to Yao won't get it done.

When that happened to the Laker's last night they we to Kobe, and we just crossed our fingers. Unless we can learn to just keep the leads that we build, I think that this will be our fatal flaw...

17. Seth

Seth Member

I agree on this, you either build completely around him, starting with a great passing and 3pt shooting PG, or he might become a liability on many facets of the game.

If the Rox had an all star PG (or an all star SG great at playing off the ball and good court view) i think Yao would be much more effective, much more than for example Artest or Scola who can be fed easier.

I expect the Rox to go for a first class PG this offseason, no matter the cost, if the plan is to build around Yao.
    Here is a list of players i think would fit the "around Yao" mold:

PG
    Deron Williams
    Chris Paul
    Steve Nash (no defense)
    Chauncey Billups
    Jose Calderon
    Kirk Hinrich
    Chris Duhon

SG
    Kobe Bryant
    Brandon Roy
    Manu Ginobili
    Stephen Jackson
    Mike Miller (no defense)

Those are obviously listed by popularity, but i think any of them, wil make the rox better, I actually think if we round up a good 3 team trade we can get one of them and some expirings for T-Mac and we could also get some of the other with a combination of Battier or Artest, plus Scola or Landry or Brooks.

I would personally trade T-Mac for Hinrich and Noah or Tyrus Thomas and Artest for Stephen Jackson.

If we could get some of the top tier players from this list is great, but i don´t see that happening.

I think a lineup of Hinrich-Jackson-Battier-Yao-Scola is a great offensive and defensive lineup (Hinrich-Jackson and Battier are great perimeter defenders) and Scola and Yao can hold their own in the paint.

My 2 cents.

And some here see me as a Yao hater, god´s sake...

18. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

I thought he didn't have much trouble getting the ball under JVG's later years. Well, he missed many 4th quarter shots. Even before the all-star game this year, getting him the ball isn't such struggle like now.

19. jfbradley1985

jfbradley1985 Member

aw come on, thats how your gonna defend yourslef by calling me a rookie? thats when you know when your wrong. this is my second name by the way and just cuz im a "rookie" poster does not make my opinions any less relative.

anyways, yao is not the problem, its the team needing to find identity in becoming a closer. they need to find THAT guy to creat thier own shot and finish it. yao is a great shooter but too slow and predictable to be that.

20. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

you need to be able to seal your man off properly and be in position to get the ball. he couldn't even do that v. a soft pau gasol consistently for god sakes.

again, he can attack double teams, only when the double team is a midget b/c he can see over them and they can reach for the ball. not if they send over the taller guy or the athletic players like they did by sending kobe. then yao really becomes timid.

so it's easy for us to say yao needs to have that mentality. we've been screaming about it for 7 years.

yao is who he is. he's a very good player. but you just can't base everything around him. and that's what morey is trying not to do. hes assembling great talent around yao in a way not to pin everything on yao.