1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao implied that he is better than Shaq now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by littlefish_220, Aug 4, 2006.

1. littlefish_220

Not big news, ah. Most of us Clutch fans agree on that :) Yeah, I admit I am using this topic to attract viewers, but it is not a makeup.

(All the translations are by my memory after watching the video clip. I am not making the translation word by word. If you understand Chinese, go to watch by yourself.)
    mms://winmedia.cctv.com.cn/tiyuxinwen/2006/08/tiyuxinwen_300_20060803_1.wmv
    mms://winmedia.cctv.com.cn/tiyuxinwen/2006/08/tiyuxinwen_300_20060804_1.wmv

I just watched a video clip of Yao's exclusive interview by CCTV (20 minutes or so in length). Here is some NBA and Rockets related translations:

Talking about how to become professional in NBA, Yao said
    NBA forces you to be professional because the competition is so intense. I feel that I can be eliminated anytime. It is not a joke. I know many people start talking about who is the No. 1 center of now, Shaq or me? To be diplomatic, I will say Shaq is still better than me. But you know, time will get everybody, and everybody has that day when he is on the downside. Great players can make that happen very late, like Shaq, like Jordan. But that day will come. I know I will have my (down) day. What I am trying to do is to make it happen as late as possible by working extremely hard.

Talking about basketball idol, Yao confirmed Sabonis is among whom he is admiring. He said,
    I don’t know how to define a perfect center, but Sabonis is great and really fun to watch. I don’t think I can match his talent and reach his level (he is unbelievable). But I do have some of his capabilities.

Talking about coaching style of current CNT head coach who is very strict and straightforward in criticizing players, Yao said
    I am totally accustomed to his coaching style. I even prefer it over Coach Harris (although he is a great coach, and I respect him a lot). After playing for Van Gundy, I get used to be yelled at. It might be a good thing that someone keeps pushing you.

Talking about his career goal in the future, Yao said,
    1. Get a NBA championship for Rockets in the future 3-4 years (he did say it is very difficult)
    2. Lead CNT to get a breakthrough in 2008 Beijing Olympic (better than history best No. 8).

Talking about his breakout in last season after injury, Yao said
    I did watch a lot of tapes in that period. The rehab is almost the same as I do in the summer, but I am pushing myself extremely hard, such as finishing two day's training within one day, because I am so eager to get back on the court.

2. rockets > *

rockets > * Member

Yao's not implying anything to me. He's stating the obvious.

3. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

Thanks for the post. Anyway I can download the video instead of streaming it?

4. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

That moves Yao up to the second best center in the league, right behind Dampier.

5. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

Ummm.

Yao beats Shaq by a mile

6. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

I think Yao is the best center in the league over the season, but I will have to see them heads-up in the playoffs before I could say that one-on-one, Yao can dominate Shaq for 7 games.

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

It's official. Yao just implied Gundy is short, baldy and grumpy. :D

8. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

hahah.. Sabonis

9. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

The other half of his comment is "If Shaq is diplomatic, he will say I am no. one". Does anyone else besides Yao think that can happen? Shaq agree anyone else is better than him.

10. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

you gotta love Yao.

I wanna see him come out after this season and refer to Shaq as his 'b****'

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a9AJ-Yclo4I"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a9AJ-Yclo4I" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

too bad about the new uniform rules. the t-shirt under the singlet look is bad ass. yao would look more intimidating.

12. seth66

seth66 Member

are you serious?

13. yaofan07

yaofan07 Member

Joke.... Remember in 05 when Dampier said he was the 2nd best center in the league to Shaq.

14. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

Are you serious?

15. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

Obviously, no sense of history...

16. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

what the hell was that

17. mit365

mit365 Member

Well,not now.Let's talk that after YAO give us a champion. :)

18. mit365

mit365 Member

You're the winner. :eek:

19. qiz264

qiz264 Member

the latest version of flashget supports downloading mms files.