1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao: "I am very, very disappointed in myself."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wireonfire, Apr 29, 2007.

Tags:
  1. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

D Howard said his highest is 345, i.e. Max. Pryuens article states Yao's max is 330.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

THERE YOU GO! Yao notices it. The Rockets have catch and shoot players that can't shoot and thus are useless. Yao sees that this team needs more MULTI-skilled players. Players that can put the ball on the floor and score and attack. Enough with Tmac+Yao+Shooters. You can't count on the "shooters." We need Yao+Tmac+SCORERS. Give the defense multiple options and then that frees up Yao and Tmac.

3. yaominn

yaominn Member

I am OK with Yao+Tmac+SCORERS as long as they are real shooters.

4. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

gravy.

my point was that 310 lbs is enough and yao is plenty strong. strength is not his problem. footspeed/quickness/jumping ability/reaction time are his problems.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Who cares about Yao's strength... even when Yao does get great position, Utah has been able to use their quickness to get around him and poke the ball away before it comes (this includes the good entry passes).

The regular season is fine to dominate when teams go half-ass, but in the post-season, teams have dissected every single move Yao makes... and they know that the answer to defending him is either push him out 2-3 ft more where he likes it (which they have), or if he does get position, be physical and attempt to strip the ball as much as posisble.

Yao has always had those major weaknesses, and this is his first playoff series where the other team has taken the time to expose them as much as possible.

They need to work on the back-cut screen, get him position, and feed the ball FAST as much as possible... sometimes the guy isn't ready to make the pass, sometimes Yao is too slow to get around and use the screen... but its the most effective way to get him the ball down low.

6. tchou

tchou Contributing Member

That makes no sense.

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Outside of the USA most people are like that! Possibly you may have touched on why the USA is in conflict with so many people.

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Then how come D.Howard can't stop Yao in a game. Yao shoots over him, pushes him towards the rim - throws up hook or dunks on him, and get rebounds over him. As strange as this sounds, you might can bench press more than another guy, that doesn't necessarily mean you are stronger than him or that you can beat him at whatever it is at what your doing. And remember that's 240 going up against 305-320, that's almost 65 - 80+ difference.

9. rv2843

rv2843 Member

He has concluded before the series started: something special, for instance, 0 points from bench, 4 players scored. In adition, he used his energy on his big mouth already! There is nothing left in his tank. He might be able to play well for a half after a recharge, but that is TMac!

10. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Exactly, strength is not an issue with Yao. :)

11. Fuse

Fuse Member

Mental strength is the issue...

12. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

he also needs to work on his vertical. plyometrics?

13. Fuse

Fuse Member

There are some things that you just can't change... and his vertical is like a natural born defect to him, which was amplified due to his injury growing up.

14. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

100% AGREED. Yao, enough with the pity crap, go take your frustratins out on Okur and plat his flopping butt on the floor a couple of times.

Though I think he's better than Dirk's mentality which is to flop flop and flop some more till you get a call

15. ironman2005

ironman2005 Member

poor guy,it's too heavy to him?

16. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

YES YES AND MORE YES!!!

Not to mention, if you dont give the Defense a chance to get set, the pass will be easier to make. They used to do this with Yao during his second year I think, or it coulda been JVG's first year or whatever (I forget), but I thought it was a good idea when I saw it.

17. Bank_Shot

Bank_Shot Contributing Member

Yao needs to become a leader on this team and be more vocal with his teammates. I know that he's from China and English is not his first language, but he has to take that role because TMac is definitely not going to do it with all his "take-it-easy" attitude.

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I agree. Okur should be giving up 35 every night to Yao, but Yao keeps letting guys push him off his spot. If Yao doesn't dominate his matchup, how can you win?

19. Fuse

Fuse Member

You should watch how different he is when playing for China. Yao actually doesn't let people push him around. The game he played against New Zealand comes to mind.

20. johnrox

johnrox Member

who plays for new zealand?