1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao hanging up International play after Beijing Olympics?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by m_cable, Aug 3, 2008.

1. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

The Chronicle had a nice article on Yao and the Olympics, but the comment most interesting to Rocket fans is this one:

Now he hasn't officially ruled anything out, and I'm sure there will be pressure from his homeland to continue playing for the National Team, but it is interesting that Yao is broaching this subject, and thinking about the possibility. I'm sure most Rocket fans would like nothing more than for Yao to start having his summers off, so we'll see what happens.

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I've been fine with him playing internationally because it was a special honor for him. If that's no longer the case, as this quote suggests, then I hope he gets to opt out from now on.

3. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

INteresting. I hope this is his last stint with the CNT.

4. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Yeah right. There's no way China (CBA) or the Chinese public will let skip the major events like that. He'll be like 32/33 in 2012. That's still pretty young.

Especially if you consider China's national team is really really bad w/o Yao. I don't think he'll be able to refuse. He still has a image to maintain.

Having said that I do thing he'll be able to skip more of the minor events.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think he is saying this will be his last Olympics not from other International competitions. This might even be a hint of retiring by 2012.

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

Maybe he wants the time off to start raising a family? Or with the injuries that he's had he's looking at ways to extend his career?

7. Dei

Dei Member

2012? How many NBA championships would he have won by then?

8. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

LOL god one!

My hope is 3

9. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Ouch. That grammar HURTS. OWW. The Ghost of the English Language is very angry right now.

10. Albert Einstain

I have been hoping that for a long long time,till yao aclaim after the olympics that he will continue to play for his international team.

Oh,no ,no ,no.Yao,you are a rocketman ,rocketman,burning out your fuse up here alone.leaving your chinese teamates there alone. :D

11. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

I dont see how that even hints at retirement, Artest coming here may be a sign of him realizing how little time they have left to win this. China will not medal in basketball for another 10 years maybe, and thats a big maybe. I think Yao more and more wants to win an NBA championship. I could see him getting fed up with the Chinese and just telling them to screw themselves. They have nothing to gripe about since he has been with them with no complaints since the very beginning.

12. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

yao will be 32-33 by 2012, he might retire by then given his injuries.

13. rocketswinitall

hopefully he will finally be able to rest in the summer

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm sorry to say I was thinking the same thing.

15. Porkylicious

Porkylicious Member

:( bad idea they will arrest yao and not let him leave the country of china like manute bol *cries*

16. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I hope Yao sees his minutes lessen this year (during the reg. season). I don't think I'd be able to sleep for weeks if he gets injured AGAIN this upcoming season.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i bot u sumthin i hop u lyk itluls!11!

[​IMG]

18. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

hopefully yao will have a healthy season this yr, along with tmac, and their outlook on their career, and our outlook on their career, will change.

if both stay fully healthy this year, i'm sure we'll all act like they'll play until they're 35. fans are very gullible.

19. jedicro

jedicro Member

People have said they hope he gets less minutes to prevent further injury. How much of an impact do you think that would make? Frankly I think most of the work is done off the court, and that's not something he can ease up on.

Perhaps I'm wrong.

20. mrfirefly7

mrfirefly7 Member

Injury may be a problem with Yao Ming, but all his injuries so far do not involve joints. Most common injuries by big men involve ankle, knee, or hip, but this is not the case for Yao. While any type of leg injury affect players whose game depend on athleticism (Landry), Yao's game depend on his skill, so injuries will affect him less. Overall, I think Yao Ming will have long career.