1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao could be unstopable if our guards could put the ball inside the paint

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mag, Mar 3, 2004.

1. mag

mag Contributing Member

I am just amazed after watching Yao play Shaq that Yao is a point guard away of becoming the most dominant player in the league. I just can see a bright future if somebody could give the ball to Yao inside the paint. Not even Shaq can stop the giant when he receives the ball inside.
    This game was so fustrating to see after Yao was dominating the game, somehow our guards went away from him. How can our self called franchise player can not make a decent shot but turnover the ball three times in very critical times at the end of the game.
    Please CD, start looking for a decent pg. We should have traded already. Now SF value has decreased that we might not even be able to get a good player in return. If CD does not make a move in the offseason, he has to go. :mad:

2. farhan007

farhan007 Member

he had what? Only 20 attempts?? And francis had what?? only 10assists? Guess what! Yao has his faults also and should not ALWAYS be ignored in loses.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Our guards tend to panic because they don't know HOW to succeed.

They try to do it themselves, and have not yet realized that the answer is to stick to what works, and that is to start the offense with Yao.

The thing that bothers me the most is that they have lost a ton of games like this and I am sure that JVG is saying the same thing in the huddle, but still the same mistakes are made.

Not sure if they will ever "Get it" but am hoping they do...

They seem to get it during the first 3 &1/2 quarters of the game but forget it at the end....very annoying, and very immature.

DD

4. sup123

sup123 Member

im gonna get bashed for this but half those assist came from alley hoop dunks.

5. rocksolid

rocksolid Contributing Member

I agree, it was frustrating to watch, but I'm not sure it was totally the lack of our guards getting him the ball.

Yao needs to establish better position on the block every time we're on offense...He got away from that toward the end of the game for whatever reason (most likely fatigue). He kept stepping up out to set high picks, then would roll and receive the ball for a long 18-20ft jumper...leaving only MoT to rebound - which is never promising.

6. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

Yup....I thought Yao could have demanded and positioned better in the final minutes...

Steve was a good leader except when the pressure was on...he stumbled and fumbled and since his shot is not falling he cannot do much else but pass and setup

Steve was a decent point guard tonight actually IMHO....but, since he is a 10 mil guy, I expect more efficiency in offense production....this is what is missing tonight and other nights...his %s are killing us for someone with such high value on the team

7. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

OMG!

revelation of the century!

8. DaDakota

Steve is struggling for sure...but I will take 10 assists from him.

If he could just cut his Turnovers down to 2, then I would be happy.

Heck...he could easily cut them down just by learning to stop and pop instead of jumping into someone in the lane for an offensive foul and turnover.

DD

9. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

When we had that 15 pt lead, they should have kept on feeding Yao inside...

This sucks, we need all the home games we can get, and the upcoming schedule is going to be brutal!!

10. rocksolid

The stats were pretty evened up tonight except for one thing...

FT Attempts

Lakes - 28
    Rocks - 19

11. farhan007

farhan007 Member

OMG!!!

The most overhyped problem of the century!!!!

12. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

All i got to say it....I AM SICK AND TIRED OF SEEING FRANCIS continue turning over the damm ball. Why does he keeps doing that every freaking game??? WHYYYY? There is only one reason, he ain't a true point guard and he sucks in this system.. Time to trade him after this season man!!!

In the 4th quarter when Lakers were making the comeback, Francis and Mobley continue to help making Lakers' comeback easier by turning over the ball. Man, if they're so called superstars, they're supposed to stop the bleeding, not cause the bleeding. I am not even talking about someone that taking good shots and struggling to make them, i am talking them turning over the ball and self-destructed in crucial moment of the game. These guys are NOT GOOD playing under pressure ...period!! They choked and turning the ball over when the game is on the line. They panic and stop going to Yao when they're behind or when other team is making a comeback.

13. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

there were just to many times we had the open J or a chance to jump on them and could not convert.....efficiency...it is allabout efficiency....

14. rocksolid

Agreed

15. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

The Lakers get calls and the Rockets don't.

16. rocksolid

...Shaq' size 28 foot intentionally gets in the way...

17. rocksolid

BINGO

18. farhan007

farhan007 Member

10 assists and 4 tos isnt bad

19. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Yao stopped demanding the ball at the end. The last really bad play where Yao wanted the ball but was ignored was the Pike brick. I'm sure Yao got discouraged by getting repeatedly fouled by shaq without a call. He should've kept going at him though.

20. DaDakota

The Lakers went TO the basket off of picks and rolls and got fouled.

The Rockets shot mostly jumpshots and did not get fouled.

Don't blame the refs, this one is on the Rocks

DD