1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Article (probasketballnews)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dream2franchise, Jan 8, 2006.

1. dream2franchise

Yao isn't Shaq, but he could be in time

By Eduardo Cuan
    Jan. 6, 2006

I’m bored of people saying it makes a difference.

So what, Yao Ming isn’t as assertive or aggressive and intimidating as Shaquille O’Neal. While we’re at it, Yao’s not as stylish or funny, either. But that doesn’t mean he’s not as dominant a basketball player.

“Shaq is a one-in-a-millennium player,” said Rockets coach Jeff
    Van Gundy. “He’s huge, agile, strong and nasty.”

Van Gundy is right. O’Neal is more agile, but it’s because he’s
    spent years practicing his footwork. It also helps that he’s almost
    a half-foot shorter than Yao, and, in general, short people move
    better than tall people.

Last season, Yao averaged 28.7 points and 13.1 rebounds per
    48 minutes. By comparison, O’Neal averaged 32.1 points and
    14.6 rebounds -- a difference of only 3.4 points and 1.5 rebounds
    from Yao’s statistics. Therefore, even if Yao did get the ball as
    deep as O’Neal, it’s hard to expect that his numbers would be better.

Moreover, Yao has only averaged 31 minutes per game throughout his career, compared to O’Neal’s 37. That’s a striking statistic, considering the likeness of their numbers.

When O’Neal first entered the league he was praised for his brute strength and criticized for his lack of finesse. He couldn’t hit a free throw or hook shot, but he dunked on just about everyone because defenders couldn’t keep him out of the paint. Lets face it, these are two giants who have developed different, yet equally dominant games.

Why are the comparisons always between Yao and O’Neal, anyway? Why isn’t Yao compared to other centers in the league?

“If you compare Elton Brand to O’Neal, you’d be asking the same thing,” said Van Gundy. “Why is Brand taking so many jumpshots? It’s unfair to O’Neal and Yao to always put them in context with each other.”

I think Yao can be dominant without adopting O’Neal’s bruising, back-to-the-basket style of play. And his back-up, Dikembe Mutombo, agrees.

“He’s already dominant,” said Mutombo in the visitors' locker room at the Staples Center.

“He can shoot the turnaround jumpshot, the hook shot, and face up and hit the J. He comes to practice and shoots for two hours, and when he gets to the game that’s what he does. That’s the way he wants to play and he does it well.”

What’s scary is that Yao thinks he can do even more damage against double-teams. How’s that for attitude?

“I always think pass the ball because I know there’s a man open around the perimeter,” said Yao, with his left foot planted in a bucket of ice. “I think sometimes I need to be more aggressive because some double-teams are just fakes to get the ball out of my hands and the defense recovers. I need to learn which double team is which.”

That was Yao’s last game with the team. He has been sidelined since Dec. 19 following surgery on his left big toe.

Contrary to popular belief, screaming after slam dunks and staring down opponents isn’t going to make Yao better. Instead, I think the secret to increased productivity lies in staying out of foul trouble and working on his stamina.

That’s why he only plays 31 minutes per game. Yao can have O’Neal-like numbers, and maybe even better, if he finds a way to stay on the court.

Yao will get better in time. After all, this is only his fourth year in the NBA. Unlike the majority of NBA players, Yao hasn’t spent the past four off-seasons working on his game. Instead of resting and developing his game, he’s playing for China’s national team --one of the major issues behind his lack of stamina.

“I don’t know what else people are asking of him,” added Mutombo over a post-game meal of chicken and pasta. “Do they want him to score 50 to 70 points a game?”

It appears as if they just want him to be overly self-assured and more antagonistic. Doesn’t the NBA have enough guys like that?

http://probasketballnews.com/cuan_0106.html

2. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

For some reason this struck me as funny. Can't you just picture Mutumbo glaring wrinkling his eyebrows and shaking his hand at the reporter over his meal of pasta in that cookie monster voice of his.

[​IMG]

3. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

LOL!!!

4. LFE171

LFE171 Member

man that definetly cheered me up. haha