1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] Yao Ming set for return to training in June

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tariq, May 23, 2008.

1. tariq

tariq Member

Lock this up if already posted...

http://in.news.yahoo.com/reuters_id...-ming-set-for-return-to-training-f668b17.html

Yao Ming set for return to training in June Fri, May 23 02:58 PM

BEIJING (Reuters) - China's Yao Ming is set to join his national team mates for full Olympic training next month as the center continues his recovery from foot surgery, local media reported on Friday.

The 7ft-6in Houston Rockets All-Star, who had an operation on a fractured foot in February, had started running at about "three quarters of his full power", the Beijing Youth Daily said, citing Chinese basketball officials.

"Presumably, he will return to China in late June," China team manager Bai Xilin told the paper. "But it all depends on the doctor's examination."

Key to China's medal hopes at August's Beijing Games, 27-year-old Yao shoulders the burden of expectations from a basketball-mad public.

Having pledged 2 million yuan ($288,000) to victims of the 7.9 magnitude quake that devastated southwest China last week, Yao had also teamed up with fellow Chinese NBA export Yi Jianlian to organise charity missions in the United States, Bai said.

(Take a look at the Countdown to Beijing blog at http://blogs.reuters.com/china)

(Reporting by Liu Zhen)

2. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Cool, lets pray he can stay healthy during the Olympics.

3. Pringles

Pringles Member

might as well just pray that yao doesn't trip and hurt something... we just can't get a break :(

4. Layupdrill

Layupdrill Member

please be ok Yao

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

set to return to rehab by august.

6. adagio75

adagio75 Member

So what happens if this gentle giant injures himself playing for China? Do they compensate us with some money? This is the only thing that pisses me off about Yao! He keeps putting his country before the Rockets(that sounds funny). But in all honesty, i would hope there was some provision for if this guy injures himself playing for someone else?

7. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I presume you wouldn't put your country first over whoever signs your paycheck. I hope you're not an American.

8. yobod

yobod Member

Well, I kinda have to agree with his SENTIMENT. I'm not saying Yao should put the Rockets ahead of his country, but I would like it if Yao would think about the city of Houston, the fans, and the organization that has done so much for him while he's making a decision that affects them so deeply. I have no problem with Yao playing for his country in the Olympics....however, I WILL have a problem with him if after the Olympics are done, he is still dedicating entire off-seasons to the CNT. There is absolutely no reason for him to go back to China every year, lose much-needed rest, and risk injury for small tournaments around Europe and Asia. The sad truth is a 50% healthy Yao is still the best player on the CNT, so obviously they are going to try and convince him to keep coming back. Eventually, Yao is going to have to make a conscientious decision about what kind of legacy he wants to leave behind in the NBA. If he wants to be regarded as one of the best big men to ever play, he is going to have to stop going to China, start training here, and take much needed breaks in the off-season.

9. poprocks

poprocks Member

Isn't this the contract that the Rockets signed with the CBA? How can he get out of it?

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I don't think its Yao's job to figure out whether he can play in all of these competitions or not. I think its our organization's job to make sure he is cleared with our medical staff and we have insurance policies on him. If he goes down with an injury in china it is the Rockets' fault for not preparing well enough and their not compensated. Its not like we don't already know he's injury prone.

11. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Only reason it sounds funny is because its a ridiculous statement alltogether. Country or Job, hmm...which one is more important?

12. abc2007

abc2007 Member

In fact, if he injured himself and to be out of the first half of next season, it would be better than he is out of the second half and playoffs. :rolleyes: Sorry!

13. battousai

battousai Member

i just hope after this, it will be the last commitment Yao has fulfill.

14. SlamIt

SlamIt Member

I don't think Yao will ever completely get out of his summer responsibilities with CNT. But there is hope that they will get less and less gradually because that is probably something that could be expected and relatively well understood in China.

15. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

hopefully yao and china do well so it gives more opportunities for other players so they stop depending on yao. (or yao will have more confidence in china playing without him, either way).

we need the big guy

16. SlamIt

SlamIt Member

BTW, where the heck is the dedicated thread to Yao's rehabilitation now?

17. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

We do get breaks. It's just they're the broken bones type.

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

yeah? I say we don't even play Yao the first 30 games of the season, maybe he won't get injured at a crucial time again.

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I would certainly put the person who signs my pay check ahead of my country. This isn't high school civics class. It is reality and the reality is that my country puts money ahead of me and every other citizen every single time so I would be a fool not to do the same.

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I agree, but remember, you really can't force the issue because there is a long list of teams who would easily sign him and let him go nutts for China and let him have no regard for his NBA team. I've never been Yao's biggest fan, I like him, but I just think we need much more predictability to him and his status. He dominates yes, but not when it matters most.