1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[yahoo] Spurs front-runners in race for Maggette

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LFE171, Jul 1, 2008.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

S&T with the Clippers and give them Battier.........get R done Morey...

DD

2. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Good move! Isaiah Thomas move!!!

Good job, DD! :D

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Where will the Raptors get the money, DD? Just because the Spurs can get Maggette for the MLE doesn't mean ANYONE can get him for the MLE.

As for the Sixers, why don't they just re-sign Igoudala and use their cap space for a player they actually need?

4. abc2007

abc2007 Member

You mean the spurs still can win the title next season?! I don't think they will have a chance even though they add Maggette. Duncan is aging...

Anyway, I don't think it is a big deal for the spurs to acquire Maggette. The rockets will still be able to beat them next season.

For Sixers, everyone knows they want Josh Smith now. They have enough salary space to sign both Igoudala and Smith (or Meggette). Of course, for the rockets, it is not a big deal either.

I don't think the rockets should trade Battier for Maggette. Battier can stop Maggette easily.

5. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Why would anyone want to sign with SA?

I see him going to the East, most likely Toronto.

6. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

I don't know...Magette seems like a guy that would make a stupid decision and end up riding a bench

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Famous last words spoken like a true blue homer.

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

It will be an odd numbered year... it's been known to happen.

9. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Rockets will win the title not the Spurs.

10. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Any record will be broken sooner or later. I believe the spurs' time has passed.

11. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Man if the Spurs sign Maggette then we will be in deep dog poop. Don't be fooled my the flameout in the WCF. Manu was hurt, and they blew two of those games.

12. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

im pretty sure spurs will keep manu no matter what.

if maggette wanted more money, he'd do a sign a trade which would benefit everyone.

WORK YOUR MAGIC MOREY!!!!

13. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

We matched up well with the Shhpurz and we will come November. They're only reloading because they're scared of our reloading. If this wasn't true, then no one would stand pat.

Let Brad Pitt take a swing. He aint pretty no mo. May can't get here soon enough.

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

They can't. The Clippers renounced Maggette to make cap space available to sign Davis. In doing so they lost Maggette's bird right's.

I'm not sure if the Clippers get a MLE since they were under the cap. Even if they do qualify for a MLE, a player signed with the MLE can't be S&T-ed.

15. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

I think Magette is using the Spurs to drive up his market value. I think he stays w/ Clips but wants a big raise and probably deserves one.

Magette would flounder in SA with Pop keeping him glued to the bench for his poor defense.

Magette should pull a Joe Johnson and look for a team where he can be a top offensive option.

Atlanta, Charlotte, GSW come to mind right away. They can probably provide more money/years and Corey & JJohnson would be a nice duo.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

GSW is the team for him IMO.He would fit in with Nelly.

17. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I was under the impression that the Clippers had to renounce their rights to Maggette in order to sign Davis and bring back Brand. Therefore, they don't have the MLE, and they don't have any room to sign Maggette. He has no way to get back to the Clippers now.

I don't see him going to Charlotte either. They just got a very similar player last year in Jason Richardson.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Maggette to the Spurs just doesn't make any sense to me.

Assuming he would go anywhere for the full MLE, you'd have to assume he'd choose Orlando over anybody. He has family there, was originally drafted there, and they ahve as good a chance of winning the championship as anybody over the next 5 years. Howard, Lewis, Maggette isn't exactly a big 3, but a starting 5 of Nelson, Maggette, Hedo, Lewis and Howard can do some serious damage.

Even if not Orlando, though, the Celtics would be a much better next choice for an MLE type deal.

And even then, if he's concerned about playing time with the Celtics, you'd think other championship caliber teams could offer the same amount, more playing time, and a chance to win - Lakers, Rockets, Jazz...

I don't know. Just seems like (fingers crossed) the Spurs are finally on the decline. They may have another run (or two) in them, but not much after that.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://www.boston.com/sports/basket.../2008/07/02/celtics_extend_offer_to_maggette/

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Maybe Maggette wants to win a title. What better place than a team that, if healthy, had as good a chance as any team to win it this year?

Adding a young slasher is the best thing SA could do and it looks like it is about to happen. I wouldn't worry about Maggette's effort with a coach like Pop and a team mate like Duncan. It should also be noted that many players have become re-dedicated and re-energized after getting out of Clipper hell.