1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[yahoo] Spurs front-runners in race for Maggette

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LFE171, Jul 1, 2008.

1. abc2007

abc2007 Member

How many play minutes could Maggette get in the spurs? Even he is the starting sg, he still needs to share playtime with Manu. I highly doubt he can get more playtime than Manu.

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

he can share minutes with manu and bowen at the 2/3.

each can play 32 mpg.

3. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Maggette's defense sucks. If he replaces Bowen at 3, the spurs won't be the spurs.

In addition, if Duncan, Parker, and Maggette are all in the starting lineup, how many field goal attempts can he get?

4. ai_111

ai_111 Rookie

He can also do it with Mac and battier.

5. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Maggette has potential to be an allstar someday. But, if he go to the spurs, he will never reach that goal.

6. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

What evidence do you have that the Rockets ever went after him?

8. opticon

opticon Member

Potential? Man has been in the league since 99 and is 28 years old if he was going to be a all-star he would have been one by now. At this age he is what he is, and that is pretty good. If I was him I would take a deal with the rockets If I was going sign with a team in Texas. Any team can through the the mle at him but only in Clutch City do you get Chinese shoe deal. Also who wants to be the fourth wheel on a team, in Houston he would be the third option.

9. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

He wouldn't be replacing Bowen. Bowen only played 30 min/game this season. That is 18 minutes a nightthat Bowen was sitting. Ginobili played 31 min/game. That was 17 minutes a night Ginobili was sitting. 35 minutes availble play time. I doubt popovich even wants to him to play 35 minutes, if he is limiting his starters to 30-32 minutes/g.

10. abc2007

abc2007 Member

It seems I overestimate him! ;) But, anyway, if he goes to SA, he will get worse.

I agree with you, Houston is a better place for him!

Go Morey!

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

They could just sign him to a one year deal for the MLE and then give him a bigger contract after that. The Spurs will have cap room to extend him in the 8-9 mil range and he'll definitely be a starter playing a lot of minutes. They can easily shuffle Bowen, Maggette, Ginobili, and Finley around during the game.

12. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Dont forget finley.

13. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I think Ime Udoka will still play significant minutes because of his good defense and 3s.

14. saleem

SA has been looking to add more athleticism for a long time. They nearly ended up trading Barry for J.R.Smith even when he was having problems in NO.
    Maggette will get minutes no matter what Udoka can give them.

15. steddinotayto

I forgot about Udoka too. Just think: if the Spurs believe that Udoka can play more efficiently, Bowen becomes a bench player. They bring in Maggette and the age of their starting lineup goes down by like 5-6 years.

Duncan
    Oberto
    Udoka
    Maggette
    Parker

They have their 6th man Ginobili, and a plethora of veterans that can give them quality minutes like Bowen, Finley, etc.

16. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Definitely, he will get minutes there. But the problem is that whether he can ENOUGH minutes.

In fact, the 76ers and raptors are much better place for him!

17. steddinotayto

I love the hopefulness in your post that SA don't land Maggette but 1. the Raptors aren't anywhere close to the Championship 2. Philly is better off trying to get Josh Smith AND they aren't anywhere close to the Championship

18. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

He should choose the Rockets over the Spurs

Bruce Bowen will start over magette in pop's system
    Magette starts for us

He gets pretty much the same deal with the Rockets he will get with the spurs..

More Minutes with the Rockets because they also have idoku at the 2/3

19. saleem

I agree he can get more minutes from both of those teams and more money from the 76'ers.I don't know what the Raptors financial position is like so I can't comment about how much they can offer him.

20. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Actually, Bosh + O'nell + Calderon + Megette in the EC will be huge!

In addition, I think the hawks will keep Josh Smith. The 76ers will go after Megettee and they can offer much more money.