1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo! Sports] Pistons' Flip Will Not Return

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DcProWLer277, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Pringles

Pringles Member

another strong possibility is their assistant curry. link

man... whats up with these assistants.

kind of making me think we screwed up with rick ( i love him) and should have signed tom tib. :D

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LOL - no he wouldn't those veterans would not listen to him any more than they listened to flip.

DD

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't know if JVG would want to coach the Pistons. I get the impression that he doesn't care for their attitude.

4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Is this sarcasm? I think it's hilarious, however unintentional.

5. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

yeah...AJ ain't no wallflower, he actually gave the mavs toughness even when you have a 7 foot german woman as your franchise player, but like any coaching gig there comes a time when the players tune you out if you don't win.

the pistons can either slowly retool and get younger, then they can elevate their assistant coach. Or they can have one last run with this core players for 1 to 2 years, and then I'd go with a veteran coach.

it's prolly more of you not knowing who AJ was as a coach, and just going along with the me too crowd.

Oh, just remembered about AJ's pronounced southern drawl voice. Sure its funny but AJ can get his message across just fine.

#25 v3.0, Jun 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  6. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

If u follow the Pistons closely, u must have heard the comments from Joe Dumars on JVG. Basically, Dumars doesnt think of JVG highly. Period.

JVG will be the next Pistons coach!? Maybe after Joe Dumars is gone.

7. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

Brown quit on the Pistons. He quits on everyone.

I expect Michael Curry to get the job. He's best suited for it, and I think he'll do a better job than any other coach out there at this moment.

The Pistons are going down. Chauncey, Rip, and Rasheed are getting old. Dyess doesn't have much left in the tank. If they want to compete with Boston, Cleveland, and Orlando, they're going to have to get a more structured offense as well as a better defensive philosophy and defensive gameplans.
    The same can be said for Phoenix.
    If I were JVG or Avery, I'd look to the Hawks as the team to coach. Being in the East, that team could make lots of noise for a very long time.

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

There isn't a coach available who can handle these guys. I can think of three who might be up to the task and they all jobs:

Popovich
    Sloan
    Riley (the one from 10-20 years ago)

These knuckleheads need a coach who will literally get in their faces. They need a guy who has been through the playoffs many times. He also needs to be a mean SOB.

Avery? A midget drill sergeant will get laughed at by these guys. JVG? He would do better than Avery but ultimately his monotonous preparation and demands of full effort would have these guys revolting against him before the All Star break. I could see that team literally quitting on JVG.

More realistically, this team needs to be broken up. I mentioned Prince yesterday because I feel he would bring quite a bit in return plus he's a playoff choker but he and McDyess might be the only two starters on that team without an ego problem. I still like moving Prince for a scorer as well as Sheed if you can get anything back of value but now I'm starting to think Billups and his girlfriend with the mask need to be separated. Obviously, they can't all go but I would think 2 out of the starting 5 should go and McDyess isn't one of them. This is all assuming Detroit gets talent (and youth) back in return. I'm not saying to give these guys away by any means.

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I've been saying this for a while. Nobody else mentions it but the Hawks would be a perfect fit. They have all the pieces to make a lot of noise in the East. They also seem to be a pretty hard working, high character group that would flourish under Jeff. I think they could win 50+ in his first year and be a real threat to get to the Finals in 2-3 years.

10. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

I think Rudy Tomjanovich will be a very good fit for the team if their management want to give the current roster another year or two before rebuild.

11. tchou

tchou Contributing Member

I don't seem to understand why so many of you think the Pistons are stuck up hard-asses. Is this coming from concrete evidence, or just carry-over stereotyping from the bad boys days?

12. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

it's from winning a title.

That title and subsequent years of winning in regular seasons and going deep into the playoffs have given them big heads and they seem to think they turn it on at anytime, and whenever they lose they think its just them not playing to their full capacity, which is partly right. They also tend to play down to their opponents level, another symptom of fat cat syndrome.

They're a good team, but they think they're better then what they really are.

13. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

that is so ridiculous....that fool did nothing but succeed with detroit...and he's gettin punished?? such bs

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

This is the worst part about them. Rip, Chauncey and Rasheed routinely downplay their opponents after losses. It isn't the other team's offense or defense that beat them. It's the Pistons just not being focused that night according to those three. Certainly, they are a great team but they have been embarrassed enough times that when they continue to act this way it makes you wonder if Sheed is the only one smoking weed.

When you get bounced out of the playoffs by one man it is time to shut your mouth and start playing. I guess Lebron sending them home didn't teach them much last year.

15. tchou

tchou Contributing Member

Is that the main thing? Is there anything else?

I actually thought that the Pistons were a better team than the Cavs, so losing to the Cavs in the Conference Finals is primarily due to their not playing as well as they could, or better yet, should.