1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo Sports]Memphis owner now questions value of Gasol deal

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JusBleezy, Jun 3, 2008.

1. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

I find it funny that you picked JVG out of everyone and only said something about him.

So since JVG was a part of a bad deal 2 years ago, that means that his judgment on trades from here on out will not be valid? Is that what you are saying? stfu with that nonsense like you tried to tell me earlier.

You believe that about JVG, fine. What about Gregg Popovich? Has he done anything for his opinion on trades to be completely invalid? The Luis Scola trade maybe? Well he admitted that was a bad trade recently. So he said the Grizzlies-Lakers deal was a bad too like JVG. Explain him away.

How about the Grizzlie's own team owner? You going to say team owners don't know anything about basketball or some other nonsense. Please.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I actually believe team owners don't know much about their sports, they make money in other businesses, that's why they hire GMs. Pops is a coach but his organization has done well in talent evaluation.

there are two issues, what memphis got back, how the lakers improved. its not a question of what could gasol bring back in talent, its a question of what memphis tried to do. free up salary space, that's what was valuable to memphis. the lakers took advantage of a fire sale, good for them. it doesn't matter what other teams had to offer, all memphis was looking for was an expiring contract. orlando did the same thing when they traded steve francis to the knicks for salary room. they were going no where. it happens all the time.

3. JusBleezy

Yeah, I thought you would say that. Let me ask you a question though. Do you know anything about the Grizzlies' owner? Or do you just assume he doesn't know anything about basketball because some team owner's in the past have not been the best basketball minds?

Secondly, team owner's hire GM's because they know more about their sport because they usually have spent most of their lives in their given sport. NOT because team owners don't know anything about their sport. Plus, you don't have to be a basketball genius to see that this was a bad trade.

Now, about Memphis wanting cap space etc. Sure, they did because that is the only valid reason they could give for making this trade. That was obvious. There are numerous problems, though. The trade was not good in talent, no. The usual routine in the NBA when trading a great player is that team waits until the trade deadline when team's get desperate and their offers are enhanced. Unless they deal is so great that they can not pass it up. This deal was not great from a talent perspective and was moderately good for them in cap space.

Who is to say a team like the Knicks, Bulls, or any other desperate team would not have offered more cap space AND more talent. The odd part is that they did not wait and hastily traded him.

The second problem is that this trade has propelled the Lakers to championship contention for the next 5 or 6 years. This can not be ignored. They traded him within their own conference? To a team that they will have to actually beat in the playoffs to do anything? Memphis wants to build a championship team in what 7 or 8 years from now? The Lakers are going to be standing in their way for the foreseeable future. The Grizzlies don't have a chance because of their own trade.

It was a bad trade. Everyone but you sees that. You want to compartmentalize the trade by only looking at 'the cap space', but their is more to that trade than just that as I explained earlier. I have no idea why you can't understand that.

#83 JusBleezy, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

this whole debate is stupid and a waste of time

MEMPHIS WAS NOT TRYING TO OBTAIN TALENT, THEY WERE COST CUTTING

maybe they hastily did the trade because they got what they wanted, an expiring contract

Memphis is not a contender. Here's a question, what other team in the league, just name one, had a contract like Kwame's coming off the books that would have worked for memphis. Memphis's responsibility is to Memphis, if the lakers are the only team that had what they wanted, so be it. Them's the breaks

no there is not more to a trade, if they wanted young talent in return they would have made a trade for younger talent. its a stupid argument, we know what they wanted because that's what they did. they were mentioned as a team that was losing money before this trade happened. their concern was financial

since you want to keep referencing what this guy had to say, here's an interview with him about the financial situation

3SOB: Last season you had one of the 7th highest payrolls in the NBA. You were in the luxury tax. You were paying dollar for dollar penalties for being in that area. Next year we are going to be much lower than the salary cap at this time.
    MH: Right now we are going to be the lowest or next to the lowest depending on what Philadelphia does.

5. JusBleezy

Ah, you went the quote every other sentence route. I'm sure you would say that it is stupid because you don't have a response. Secondly........

Lol, why am I arguing with you. Increasing the front and bolding sentences like it helps your argument. We are going in circles here anyway.

I'll leave it with this, since you like quoting two month old articles. Here is the article, you know, from 2 DAYS ago from the same guy:

“I don’t know if I got the most value,” Heisley confessed. “Maybe our people should’ve shopped (Gasol) more and maybe we would’ve gotten more, done a better deal. Maybe Chris did call every team in the league. I don’t think he did, but maybe he should’ve…”

Did the Grizzlies get the best value possible for Pau Gasol?

“I don’t know if I got the most value,” he said.

Even so, you get the idea that, yes, the man most responsible for the Lakers’ championship run does know now.

Between February and now, that truth hasn’t changed. The answer’s still the same.

No way.

Not even close."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is all anyone looking at this trade is saying. If YOU don't see that, then it's your problem and their is no reason to argue with you.

6. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Of course it's a stupid debate. Everyone knows it's a salary dump. That still doesn't mean it's a stupid trade that does absolutely nothing for Memphis except give money back to Heisley.

So if Les decides he wants to dump Yao's contract for say Raef LaFrentz's expiring contract (don't know if it is expiring or not), you wouldn't be the least bit mad since it's Les's money and it "improves" the Rockets?

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I did that because you kept b****ing about not responding to every point. do you really want to have an argument about what this guy knows about basketball

no, you have not answered the question was cap space valuable to memphis. that is my argument that you have not come up with a reasonable response to.

where's the admission that he didn't get value, he just says he doesn't know, maybe he's tired of the league wide whining

and the lakers were responsible for miami winning in 06? trades happen, sometimes a team actually beneifts, its certainly not worth the whining

tell that to the guy who's footing the bill

you neglected to quote this

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly. That just tells me that you are not very good at understanding why your opinion is so weak.

Because you act like you are the only one smart enough to know the "truth" when in fact your opinion is so far off. You just pick and choose the points you think you can answer and ignore the rest.

You said Gasol wasn't a valuable player. People beat you down on that. So you ignored it.

I asked you if the Rockets would trade Landry, James, and two first rounders for Pau in a heart beat and if that was clearly a better deal for Memphis. Many teams could also think up a better deal than the Lakers'. The Memphis management never even bother to entertained. That's where the outrage was. You just kept harping on the irrelevant point about it's the owner's money.

You first tried to push the notion that they were getting cap space. When a poster pointed out what players they were going to sign with the cap space, you ignored the challenge. Then you flipped to cost cutting. Cost cutting and getting cap space are two very different things, in case you don't know. One is a long term plan to SPEND money. The other is to ignore the interests of the league and the fans just to save a buck. Make up your mind what it is you think they are trying to do.

You keep saying that it's only because it's the Lakers that everyone is upset. Well, you like Kobe and the Lakers so you think it's cool that they pulled off something like that.

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It has been proven other teams had better offers on the table.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm just presenting a different argument tired of the 4 month b****ing about the trade

edit: never said that, I said it wasn't historic, you guys act like they got 2001 shaq

taken out of context, I'm saying they didn't trade a top tier superstar, is that good enough for you, the team was going no where and losing money.

how is this clearly a better deal for memphis on february first, landry was still virtually an unknown

this is what we call an opinion

I have no idea what you're talking about

its the same difference, they were losing they don't want to spend the money, my point stands, they weren't looking for equal talent back.

now we get to the truth, you don't like kobe so this is personal. thanks for at least admitting.

#90 pgabriel, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

who cares what he's doing with the cap space. the guy has openly admited the team was for sale. this isn't a conspiracy.

12. JusBleezy

Exactly.

He's not going to admit anything though. He's going to say that people are "b****ing" and start bolding and increasing the font of what he's typing like a ******* 5th grader. He accuses me of ignoring his points when he actually does it, like you pointed out.

What was the owner supposed to say now? Huh? That he regrets the trade? It would do him no good to outright admit that now, but he actually says it throughout the entire article WITHOUT actually saying it. Do you even realize that?

No, I didn't forget to quote that in the article, I quoted what was most important. Which is he's not sure he got the most value and he's not sure that they WOULD NOT have gotten MORE VALUE had they WAITED. Do I need to bold and increase the font to the maximum like so you understand WTF people are saying?

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm going to do this again, respond to every point, and watch you say that i didn't. this is fun.

the owner has actually been pretty honest and forthright about his financial situation and the teams possibility of being sold.

so when you decide on a quote its what's important, when i do its not. you say what's he supposed to say? so was he being diplomatic when saying he wonders if they could have gotten more LOLOL. i'm sure the fans loved hearing that diplomatic response

14. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

It's definitely more r****ded than the Battier for Rudy Gay trade; that trade was bad as well, but there is no way it compares to trading away a franchise center/forward for a bag of peanuts (literally).

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You are exaggerating. Stop the hyperbole! Pau isn't quite a franchise player and Kwame Brown is definitely NOT worth a bag of peanuts.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

People are still "b****ing" because the Lakers are winning. If you are tired of the b****ing, get tired of Lakers winning.

And nobody is saying that Gasol is 2001 Shaq or a top tier superstar. But he is a star player every team would want to trade for with a bag of peanuts plus a can of soft drink when the Lakers just offered a bag of peanuts.

On Feb 1, James = Kwame, Landry => Crittenton. James + Landry > Kwame + Crittenton.

It's never a secret that I hate the Lakers and Kobe, and I am not ashamed of it. This (making a western conference team instant contender) is bad enough. The fact that it's the Lakers makes it 10 times worse.

I am glad you finally realized that you didn't know what you were talking about when you brought out the "cap space" excuse. ;)

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

memphis has a responsibility to memphis

memphis got what they wanted, cap space/salary relief, i don't care what its used for

we can go round and round, but landry was an unknown at this point, I really don't think that's debatable

so lay off on the personal insults next time when your whole argument is fueld by "it was a bad deal because the team i hate is winning"

see above point about what memphis wanted, semantics

18. JusBleezy

You know what, let me just ask you this: Do you at least see why everyone OUTSIDE OF the Memphis Grizzlies would see this as a bad trade?

19. Houston22

Houston22 Member

Well if your goal as a GM is to lower attendance (although we thought that it can't go lower), then you would certainly do this trade again.

PGabriel may try to enlighten us about their reasons all night long, but as Memphis fans would tell you it sucks when your team doesn't have compass. And the first call that your team's GM gets, brings you Kwame and another PG, which was the only position you as a fan thought it was taken care of..

20. JusBleezy

Your preaching to the choir here. It's perfectly clear to me.