1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo Sports]Memphis owner now questions value of Gasol deal

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JusBleezy, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Let me sweeten the pot a bit for you: Landry instead of Brooks.

Tell me James + Landry is not at least as good as Brown + Crittenton. And tell me the Rockets wouldn't have done that trade in a heartbeat.

2. Asian Sensation

Where's that clown MemphisX ?

3. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

yeah guys, what's the big deal out of the Lakers adding an efficient low-post scorer and a very good passer from the post for a couple worthless players?

Had they traded with the Bulls it would've been a non-issue because they probably would've gotten some, gosh what's the word, talent back. That's why no one rips Seattle for trading an aging shooting guard for the No. 5 pick, or Minnesota for trading Garnett for Al Jefferson - because they actually got something worthwhile back.

Memphis took their most valuable asset - a seven footer with good ball handling and passing skills and excellent mobility who's also a good scorer in the low post - and traded him for nothing.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

sure, but at the time, who knew how good landry was. he was a second round pick. so it would still cause outrage in the rest of the league, wo we're back to square one, memphis is looking out for memphis

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

again, they traded for something valuable to them.

6. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

you're right that trade was valuable.......to the owner. :rolleyes:

And since they already admitted that they're going into long-term rebuilding so they're not going to sbe using that extra cap space (and no respecting player will sign there - at least not of Gasol's calibur). The only trade this benefits for the Grizzlies is the owner.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

its his money, I like how everyone tries to spend it

8. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

And how does that help Grizzlies fans?

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Heisley is a bum. He manipulated the move out of Vancouver, citing low revenues and low attendance, both of which dropped subsequently when he moved to Memphis. He, along with Donald Sterling, may just be the NBA equivalents of Jeffery Loria, who destroyed the Montreal Expos only to buy the Florida Marlins, win a World Series with them, and then dismantle that franchise.

10. Precision340

Precision340 Member

exactly.. that organization is doomed!! :D

11. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Again, that cap space isn't going to be used - so it has no value to the Grizzlies. They traded him for nothing.

12. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

There is absolutely no reason to argue with him anymore. I see that he's going to pick a choose the arguments he wants to respond to. Besides, the team's own owner admits that his team's GM could've gotten more for Gasol. Gregg Popovich said the same. Van Gundy too.

I suppose I'm name dropping now, but it is obvious it was a bad deal for the Grizzlies. Salary dump or not.

It's no point in arguing, he will believe what he wants. However wrong myself or others believe it is and points it out to him.

13. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

It will no doubt go down as one of the most r****ded trades in league history. This really just adds salt to the wounds of everyone who thinks this deal was sneaky. I hope the Grizzlies dissolve how stupid they were, only getting peanuts.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The owner of a business gives you crappy product because he wants to cut cost, and tells you it's his money.

Tell me you are going to say, "Cool. I understand. I wonder why everyone is so mad. I wonder how everyone tries to spend your money."

I am done with you. A waste of everyone's time. :rolleyes:

15. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

interesting that chicago wouldn't part with one of their core.

don't like the laker deal, but really... the chicago deal wasn't leaps and bounds better.

i was waiting to hear about some legit trade for a star and i still haven't heard it.

16. what

what Member

The reason Heisley did this deal was to get his "costs" in line with the Memphis market. Now that it is over he wants to feign as if he cares about what he got in return and has thrown wallace under the bus. The fact of the matter is that trading Gasol WAS necessary in order to keep the team in Memphis, since the grizzlies weren't attracting fans.

The real travesty wasn't this trade, but the uptempo mandate handed down about 3 years ago. Then was when the grizzlies gave up on playing defense and traded all of their good defensive players, lo wright, battier, posey, earl watson, and also traded their veteran point guard Jason Williams. All of that caused the teams demise.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

he didn't say that, i did, nice to make arguments easy to argue with yourself, why are you so upset because i don't agree with the mass opinion. you don't have to be an ******* unless you just can't help it

memphis had winning seasons just two years ago, and pau was hurt last season but its been a crappy franchise. you're wasting my time

#77 pgabriel, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

who gives a crap about what jvg has to say, he got fleeced by memphis in the gay deal, he's no authority.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

you're just saying this to argue. you're a waste of time because you have an opinion about an nba franchise that may be different from the rest of the group think.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

you're not going to hear, you're just going to hear moaning and whining because the lakers got better. that's the nature of the b****ing, everyone knows this was a salary dump. it happens all the time, notice no one disputes the cap space is valuable. memphis did what's good for memphis, pops complaint is sour grapes