1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo Sports]Memphis owner now questions value of Gasol deal

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JusBleezy, Jun 3, 2008.

1. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

You would've been kicked out of our fantasy league, or had the transactions rescinded. I wonder if the all the league owners could get together and remove the Grizzles from the league...

2. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Combat the argument? WTF arguments did you come up with that I even needed to argue?

You stated Gasol was tired during the San Antonio series as if it was fact. I didn't see that, most other people didn't see that, so you need to back up your own argument.

Then you said Gasol averaged 17 and 8 in playoffs. Are you expecting people to see those as bad averages? Those are great on that Lakers team. WTF do you expect? 20 and 10 when he is playing next to Kobe Bryant and Lamar Odom? He also is shooting 52% from the field. WTF was your point here?

Back up your own arguments before telling someone else to stfu.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

my point is that a hall of famer wasn't given away. was gasol even an all star. was his memphis team winning? I don't understand the outrage. secondly nice of you to at least finally respond to my points. so apparently i was right about that.

also, to your point that he is the third wheel, what do I expect. he was averaging the same thing as the first wheel in memphis, so by your argument, he wasn't having a great year for a first wheel. maybe he is what he is, an overpaid second wheel

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Spinning to make himself not look like a dumbazz...it's not working...

5. JusBleezy

No one said Gasol was a hall of famer. You're arguing against yourself. Gasol was an all-star, he had a bad team and bad records so he didn't have an opportunity to make the all-star team many times. Is he a surefire all-star every year? No, but he has made it before and could make it in the future. You want to argue that a true all-star is someone who makes it every year? I'm not going there and we may have a difference of opinion.

You don't understand the outrage? Well, I'm not one of the people outraged, but it is obviously a bad trade. You don't understand why people are the least bit curious why the Grizzlies would trade an all-star talent for next to nothing to the Lakers of all franchises when other teams apparently offered better deals? You don't understand that?

Nice of me to respond to your thoughts? Heh. Forgive me for thinking you saw the obvious.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

here's a better way to prove theory gasol was given away, what could the grizzlies have gotten for him to match to dump his salary. keep in mind, kwame is off the books this year.

you're already down to arguing he's the third best player on the team

7. nokidding

nokidding Member

The guy is the owner and he is LOSING $$. Do you think he likes to lose $$ just so he can eff you?

Come on! He is just stupid.

8. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Lol everyone knew what the Grizzlies management were doing. Now he's trying to save face by having Chris Wallace be the fall guy.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

even the article lists this as the most credible offer

"One source with knowledge of the process said the Bulls had made the most credible offer. For Gasol and Memphis’ Hakim Warrick, the Bulls were willing to part with Andres Nocioni, Tyrus Thomas, Joakim Noah, Thabo Sefolosha, possibly Adrian Griffin and draft picks"

OMG, how could they past that up

10. JusBleezy

I never said Gasol was their third best player. You did. I said he played, "Next to Kobe Bryant and Lamar Odom." So, you are wrong there. I also like how you ask me to come up with the information you want.

How about you explain or show where someone said Gasol was a hall of famer. Next, prove your next argument about Gasol being tired against the San Antonio Spurs.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

gasol averaged 23 against den
    18 against utah
    13 against the spurs as well as field goal percentage. again, you were wrong on the odom, kobe point because his averages are the same. no one's taking shots from him according to what he did in Memphis. so you've already admited that I shouldn't expect the production in memphis because of less shots but his production does equal memphis, so he was underperforming.

therefore, what should memphis have expected to get for an underperforming second wheel who makes $13MM a year?

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You still don't get it or you just want to argue for the sake of arguing? Read the article again. He said he knew his GM probably didn't give the rest of the league a chance to make offers.

The Chicago offer was from the writer's source. That's probably the only offer they had gotten other than the Lakers'. Even that, one can argue Chicago's deal was more respectable than Kwame + Crittendon + 2 late 1st round picks.

Your whole argument is based on your opinion that Gasol is not a very valuable player. You are entitled to your opinion, though not too many people share it. The fact is, the rest of the league felt that they got fleeced by what looked like an under the table kind of deal with the Lakers. That's what the outrage is about.

BTW, have you even watch the games? If you do, you should know how important it is for the Lakers-Kobe to have a reliable low post scorer. Odom is talented all-around, but he is not a reliable low post scorer. Gasol is everything the Lakers need.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

memphis is going no where, they wanted to dump salary. no one disputes that. what should they have asked for. since when is getting an expiring contract when your team sucks a bad deal?

it seems to me that people just want to b**** because it was the lakers. had he dumped the salary to a non contender it would be a none issue.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

yes gasol is valuable................to the lakers

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yes, had it be a non-contender, the damage would not be so bad. Like they say, Memphis pretty much handed the championship (assuming Lakers win) to the Lakers. That's atrocious. Only Lakers or Kobe fans wouldn't feel that.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

memphis has a responsibility to memphis, that's why the b****ing is so stupid. and i'm not arguing for the sake of arguing. thanks

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Would you (or the Rockets) trade Mike James, Brooks, and 2 future 1st rounder for Gasol? That's what the Lakers offered.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

now you're being silly

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

READ WHAT THE MAN SAID AGAIN. He and his GM were NOT doing something responsible. That's why it is so outrageous. If he could give an argument that the trade was remotely beneficial Memphis, you would have a point.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

salary cap space isn't valuable. so all the b****ing all these years about zeke was pointless?