1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo Sports]Memphis owner now questions value of Gasol deal

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JusBleezy, Jun 3, 2008.

1. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Chris Wallace should be fired. Can you imagine him still having his job if Joe Dumars was his boss. The Gasol trade will go down as a game changing balance of power trade like the Abdul-Jabbar trade the Bucks/Lakers made in the 70s. Wallace violated the cardinal rule of trades, never trade your superstar player to an intra-conference rival. I hope Memphis never makes the playoffs for the next 10 years. :mad:

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

gasol's playoff numbers 17 and 8, but more importantly the guy clearly is feeling the wear and tear of a long playoff run which he isn't used to

iow, its not that historic, his offense was virtually none existent against San Antone

3. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

.....Are you serious?.. Someone has to argue the importance of Gasol in the Lakers' offense and success with you?

I....don't understand how you could have a view such as this.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

what was their record before gasol

5. JusBleezy

There is absolutely no need to debate this. They are a much better team after the Gasol trade.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's why nobody other than Lakers fans should root for the Lakers to win the championship. There has to be justice in this world!

pgabriel, you are the only person in this world who actually believes that Gasol is not important for the Lakers' run.

7. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This is what fans get for underrating Gasol.

8. sook

sook Rookie

lol are you kidding me?

9. JusBleezy

Ooohhhhh, he wants to be the person that goes against the popular thought! It has to be that. :confused:

10. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

everyone knows jerry west pulled the strings and helped his old club out. that's all there is to it. and the memphis dudes are going to take the public "blame" for it..probably because they got some "extra" too.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

They had Bynum. When Bynum went down, the Lakers' season was cooked, until the Pau gift.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

either combat the argue with reasoning are stfu. seriously a give away was the rockets getting drexler

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

it just kills that this board and the rest of the nba now claims that pau was superstar in memphis. he's been good for LA, they didn't exactly get an all world talent, they a got every so often all star.

14. LFE171

LFE171 Member

True, the Grizz never got a top pick. Ya'll got close though! 3 years! And how did those #2s pan out?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grizzlies are cursed. :p

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

pau gasol makes $14MM a year and memphis was going no where with him. it was what it was, a salary dump. la had a salary to match. i mean jesus, we got one of the best euro players for a guy who never got off the bench. it happens.

16. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This is partly what I'm saying, except that I do think he's an all world talent: he has one of the most complete offensive games for a big man, he is a fine rebounder, and, even if you don't think he's much of a defensive player -to me, anchoring all of those great defensive teams in Memphis proves otherwise-, he uses his height and length very well.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I actually believe his defense was key agains San Antonio, he did use his length well against duncan. however, i also noticed that diop gave duncan alot of trouble in 06 so I partly chalked it up to duncan's weakness. he's also good for the triangle but not an exceptional passer for a big man but good.

and i actually agree that he is a borderline perinial all star talent, but he just doesn't live up to enough. he went soft on sa, which really disappointed me, as thoroughly as la beat sa, i thought it really could have cost them.

18. YugoRocketsFan

This guy is a r****d, who is ripping Minnesota for a KG trade?

Nobody because they actually got equal value, wow what a r****d

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

On spite: I can understand the psychology of making a bad trade for spite. But, this trade will get Wallace fired (it just takes a while for the light bulb to come on in the owner's brain, it seems). And, he'll probably never get another GM job either because of it. It'd make more sense if he made the trade to spite his boss because he resented having to dump salary and realized his boss was an idiot.

On Scola: Heisley is right about that trade. But, it doesn't really compare in magnitude.

On the Heisley Rule: Will the NBA create a new rule to protect teams from themselves, like the Stepien Rule? I don't know what you could do to avert this kind of disaster, but if they come up with something, call it the Stepien rule.

This trade reminds me of a fantasy league faux pas. I was losing miserably with not shot at a comeback and not having much fun, so I decided to ditch the season and assemble the Rockets roster. So I made a couple lopsided trades to get Rockets who were on other teams and, once I had them, I picked up the rest out of free agency and waived all my other players, good and bad. I did it on a Friday. The league had waiver wire rules, but a number of people didn't see the player dump until they got back to work on Monday. So, one or two guys profited immensely and I pretty much ****ed over the whole league. It sounds like Wallace did the same thing, dumping Gasol on the Lakers for free without most of the league even knowing they could really pick him up.

20. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

We traded unknown NBA commodity (JVG never played Vspan) for another unknown NBA commodity.

Pau Gasol was an All-Star. You just don't give away 7-footers. Especially utra-skilled ones.